U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 02:03 AM

2,112 posts, read 1,306,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Strangely enough at one time the hockey team Rangers were going to be called the Giants, lol. That means New York would have had 3 Giants teams until the baseball team left.

Anyway, while the name ranger is most often associated with Texas because of their famous Texas Rangers, rangers were found all over America during the colonial and pioneer days. New York for instance, had Rogers Rangers in Upstate New York during the French and Indian War and the Queens Rangers mostly Downstate during the Revolution. I do think the name fits better with Texas though.
The NY Rangers were originally called Tex's Rangers, for Tex Rickard, the owner of the old Madison Square Garden. And the name was supposed to sound like "Texas Rangers". I don't get the point of naming a NY team after Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 06:38 PM

6,852 posts, read 6,186,695 times
Quote:
NFL
Rams - Nothing to do with LA
The LA Rams came from Cleveland where they were also the Rams.

But to be fair, there are Bighorn Sheep (Rams) that live in the San Gabriel Mountains Northeast of the city, so it's an appropriate nickname.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:04 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,881,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Wouldn't the Utah Jazz be the least appropriate pro sports team name in the U.S.?
Yep. Doesnt get anymore out of place than that.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:24 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,881,806 times
I know OP said 4 team cities, but I want to branch out. Some good ones I havent really seen in this thread:

Carolina Hurricanes, San Antonio Spurs, New England Patriots, Toronto Maple Leafs, Washington Capitals, Phoenix Suns

Lame ones: Tennessee Titans, Toronto Raptors (its cool as hell because its a dinosaur, but obviously doesnt fit lol), Jacksonville Jaguars, anything with Sox, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns (?), Indianapolis Colts, Oakland (soon to be LV) Raiders, Buffalo Sabres, GS Warriors, Nashville Predators, UTAH JAZZ (at least they had the Rockies on their jerseys at one point).

Thought: I thought it was interesting Atlanta kept a bird theme with the Falcons, Hawks, and Thrashers. Also what in the world is a "Pacer?"

Old 11-10-2016, 05:29 AM

56,587 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I know OP said 4 team cities, but I want to branch out. Some good ones I havent really seen in this thread:

Carolina Hurricanes, San Antonio Spurs, New England Patriots, Toronto Maple Leafs, Washington Capitals, Phoenix Suns

Lame ones: Tennessee Titans, Toronto Raptors (its cool as hell because its a dinosaur, but obviously doesnt fit lol), Jacksonville Jaguars, anything with Sox, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns (?), Indianapolis Colts, Oakland (soon to be LV) Raiders, Buffalo Sabres, GS Warriors, Nashville Predators, UTAH JAZZ (at least they had the Rockies on their jerseys at one point).

Thought: I thought it was interesting Atlanta kept a bird theme with the Falcons, Hawks, and Thrashers. Also what in the world is a "Pacer?"
To your last question: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indi..._500_pace_cars

Old 11-16-2016, 08:53 AM

5,867 posts, read 6,528,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Apparently the Giants (baseball team) used to be called the NY Gotham's when they were in NY (Gotham is a nickname for NYC). That makes sense, but it was changed to Giants because the coach called the players "his Giants". So it's not even named after NY at all. Then the NFL team just decides to be completely unoriginal and use the same name for NY football and baseball. And what makes it worse is that the baseball team is no longer in NYC. It's now in San Francisco.

I can't decide if that one is the worst, or the NY hockey team that was named after Texas
MLB influenced NFL in NYC in many ways.......

in addition to the New York Giants, there were also the New York Yanks and Brooklyn Dodgers in the NFL. And, of course (with a note of credit to Shea Stadium's LaGuardia neighbors), the New York Jets were named in relation to their fellow Shea tenants, the Mets (and so we get the whole Mets, Jets, Nets thing). Of course, the Jets were originally an AFL franchise called the New York Titans, "Titans" by any measure is a word that closely relates to "Giants".....interestingly the Giants and Titans faced each within long field goal distance across the Harlem River in Yankee Stadium and the Polo Grounds respectively.

As for "And what makes it worse is that the baseball team is no longer in NYC. It's now in San Francisco.", well, of course, you're right about that in terms of NYC. But there is something very unique about the San Francisco Giants that (I believe...although could be wrong): no team in professional sports has retained its connection and identity with its previous home than the Giants. The Giants fully embrace New York and the New York era into their persona in innumerable ways; the Dodgers, in comparison, have brought little of Brooklyn to Los Angeles.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:58 AM

292 posts, read 203,125 times
If we expand it to the MLS we then start to see much better alignment for several cities:

Spot On:
Chicago Fire
Colorado Rapids
DC United
New England Revolution
Portland Timbers
San Jose Earthquakes
Seattle Sounders
Philadelphia Union
Vancouver Whitecaps

Old 11-16-2016, 09:04 AM

5,867 posts, read 6,528,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
Apparently the Flyers name was chosen because it sounded well with Philadelphia, conveyed motion, and would be easy to fit in newspaper print.

https://www.nhl.com/flyers/news/flye...named/c-672935
c'mon, folks, let's be honest here: wouldn't we all have loved it more if they were the Phlyers?

Old 11-16-2016, 09:06 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
c'mon, folks, let's be honest here: wouldn't we all have loved it more if they were the Phlyers?

that would be Phat

Old 11-16-2016, 01:06 PM

9,381 posts, read 9,536,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post

Nashville Predators comes from when they were building the Batman Building downtown they found Sabre tooth Tiger fossils in the ground, which halted construction for a while, so yes, it is connected to Nashville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or