U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:41 AM

28 posts, read 16,002 times

Advertisements

I am looking to find the best place to live in U.S. for me. I am originally from East TN, but I have traveled quite a bit during my lifetime. I was planning to move to Florida after graduating from college because I love the ocean and beach; however, my college town in middle TN is mostly flatland, like Florida, and not good for motorcycle riding, hiking, adventures, etc. So my question is what is the best place to live in the U.S. for me, meeting these criteria:

1. Opportunity for Motorcycle Riding, Mountain Biking, Hiking, Adventures, etc. (So geography / landscape)

2. Not only has Mountains, but also is relatively close to the Ocean and Beaches. (Mountains + Ocean)

3. Has a good economy (low taxes, low cost of living, not forbidden with laws and excess expense like California, low unemployment, a lot of job/business opportunity)

4. I would like to live in a rural area not far from the bigger cities. I would like the town I want to live in to be around the same size as Knoxville, TN, but maybe a little smaller without all of the downtown areas.

These are the main criteria I have for living conditions. Here are places I like and what I like about them with what I don't like listed as well.

1. Maui

Pros: Beautiful Landscape, Mountains, Oceans, everything I would want as far as point 1 goes.

Cons: Not a very good economy, high unemployment, high cost of living, in the middle of the ocean, far away from anything else.

2. Florida

Pros: Beaches, Nice cities where there aren't many tourists

Cons: Mostly flat land, not very "seasonal," and tourists

3. Arizona, Colorado, Utah

Pros: Fits the bill for point 1, mostly good economies, etc

Cons: No where near the ocean, more desert like than forest like

4. California

Pros: Landscape

Cons: Population, Traffic, Laws, Taxes, etc.

I hope you guys can help me find the place I am looking to call home one day. If you need any more information let me know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2016, 11:34 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreysmotoadventures View Post
I am looking to find the best place to live in U.S. for me. I am originally from East TN, but I have traveled quite a bit during my lifetime. I was planning to move to Florida after graduating from college because I love the ocean and beach; however, my college town in middle TN is mostly flatland, like Florida, and not good for motorcycle riding, hiking, adventures, etc. So my question is what is the best place to live in the U.S. for me, meeting these criteria:

1. Opportunity for Motorcycle Riding, Mountain Biking, Hiking, Adventures, etc. (So geography / landscape)

2. Not only has Mountains, but also is relatively close to the Ocean and Beaches. (Mountains + Ocean)

3. Has a good economy (low taxes, low cost of living, not forbidden with laws and excess expense like California, low unemployment, a lot of job/business opportunity)

4. I would like to live in a rural area not far from the bigger cities. I would like the town I want to live in to be around the same size as Knoxville, TN, but maybe a little smaller without all of the downtown areas.

These are the main criteria I have for living conditions. Here are places I like and what I like about them with what I don't like listed as well.

1. Maui

Pros: Beautiful Landscape, Mountains, Oceans, everything I would want as far as point 1 goes.

Cons: Not a very good economy, high unemployment, high cost of living, in the middle of the ocean, far away from anything else.

2. Florida

Pros: Beaches, Nice cities where there aren't many tourists

Cons: Mostly flat land, not very "seasonal," and tourists

3. Arizona, Colorado, Utah

Pros: Fits the bill for point 1, mostly good economies, etc

Cons: No where near the ocean, more desert like than forest like

4. California

Pros: Landscape

Cons: Population, Traffic, Laws, Taxes, etc.

I hope you guys can help me find the place I am looking to call home one day. If you need any more information let me know. Thanks!
Arizona is 1/3 forest give or take. The "Green Belt" of Arizona which extends from roughly Williams, AZ into New Mexico offers a ton of off-roading. You can off-road in the summer and fall up near Lockett Meadow on Mount Humphreys and almost any mountain, Arizona is pretty relaxed on these laws. Phoenix and Tucson are roughly four hours from Rocky Point, Mexico; and six hours to Southern California which you can't off-road on any of those beaches as far as I'm concerned. Mexico pretty much has no beach regulation though I'd review it for off-roading.

Also, Phoenix has Lake Pleasant, Lake Roosevelt, and a few reservoirs which have beaches and most people use these lakes to go boating and do any water sports like fishing. Lake Pleasant I prefer a little bit more, the far north side not only will have small beaches but plenty of trails to take quads and on and on. I suggest you Google these lakes.

Almost all the open desert surrounding Phoenix and Tucson is public land, and people usually use these mountains to participate in outdoor shooting, dirt bike riding, bonfires, camping, etc. even in July you will see people out here enjoying this amenity.

In SE Arizona there are the Sky Islands, which there are roughly 14 of them in Arizona alone and a few more in Mexico which the peaks will have pine trees, snow, etc. but an hour down the mountain you're back in the desert again. This is one of the best amenities. If you look at the small towns in this region like Nogales and Bisbee they have some of the best climates in the state, damn near mirroring coastal California and are cheap to boot. The economies aren't there though, but some of them like Nogales and Vail are a decent commuting time to Tucson. You will also be even closer to the Mexico beaches. Tucson I personally believe offer better outdoors because of having two national parks and a lot more hiking opportunities, but the economy isn't like how it is in Phoenix.

I think Arizona is a strong contender on your list and you should look into it further.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Arizona is 1/3 forest give or take. The "Green Belt" of Arizona which extends from roughly Williams, AZ into New Mexico offers a ton of off-roading. You can off-road in the summer and fall up near Lockett Meadow on Mount Humphreys and almost any mountain, Arizona is pretty relaxed on these laws. Phoenix and Tucson are roughly four hours from Rocky Point, Mexico; and six hours to Southern California which you can't off-road on any of those beaches as far as I'm concerned. Mexico pretty much has no beach regulation though I'd review it for off-roading.

Also, Phoenix has Lake Pleasant, Lake Roosevelt, and a few reservoirs which have beaches and most people use these lakes to go boating and do any water sports like fishing. Lake Pleasant I prefer a little bit more, the far north side not only will have small beaches but plenty of trails to take quads and on and on. I suggest you Google these lakes.

Almost all the open desert surrounding Phoenix and Tucson is public land, and people usually use these mountains to participate in outdoor shooting, dirt bike riding, bonfires, camping, etc. even in July you will see people out here enjoying this amenity.

In SE Arizona there are the Sky Islands, which there are roughly 14 of them in Arizona alone and a few more in Mexico which the peaks will have pine trees, snow, etc. but an hour down the mountain you're back in the desert again. This is one of the best amenities. If you look at the small towns in this region like Nogales and Bisbee they have some of the best climates in the state, damn near mirroring coastal California and are cheap to boot. The economies aren't there though, but some of them like Nogales and Vail are a decent commuting time to Tucson. You will also be even closer to the Mexico beaches. Tucson I personally believe offer better outdoors because of having two national parks and a lot more hiking opportunities, but the economy isn't like how it is in Phoenix.

I think Arizona is a strong contender on your list and you should look into it further.
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely check these areas out and see what more Arizona has to offer. I know Arizona and Utah are very well known to have awesome desert riding. I don't want to limit them to just being a desert though. Another place I forgot to list was the Washington / Oregon area. I am more leaning towards Washington right now, but I have yet to visit either place or hear much about them besides their tax policies. I know the landscape and geography there is supposed to be quite amazing. Beautiful mountain ranges, lakes, beaches, etc. Hopefully a few people from those states will see my thread and reply as well!

Old 11-10-2016, 11:43 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreysmotoadventures View Post
Thanks for the reply. I will definitely check these areas out and see what more Arizona has to offer. I know Arizona and Utah are very well known to have awesome desert riding. I don't want to limit them to just being a desert though. Another place I forgot to list was the Washington / Oregon area. I am more leaning towards Washington right now, but I have yet to visit either place or hear much about them besides their tax policies. I know the landscape and geography there is supposed to be quite amazing. Beautiful mountain ranges, lakes, beaches, etc. Hopefully a few people from those states will see my thread and reply as well!
I can't speak on the other states but Arizona has a VERY large off-roaring culture. It's actually sort of insane how many Arizonans do it.y family rides dirt bikes and there a plethora of tracks around Phoenix if that's your thing. And again lots of public land. Back in the 70s and 80s my dad used to ride dirt bikes around Northern and the 51, which now is pretty central to town but back in the day used to be just open desert!

Old 11-11-2016, 08:28 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,635,451 times
Group 3 is probably your best bet from the states you listed. Oregon is another state to consider. Fairly temperate weather, hilly/mountainous, rural, and the state borders the ocean. Washington state would likely be another good option. Lots of great state and national parks as well.

Old 11-12-2016, 07:53 AM

226 posts, read 167,250 times
Oregon does not have a low cost of living or great job opportunities.

Old 11-12-2016, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees46 View Post
What about Washington?

Old 11-12-2016, 04:55 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,635,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bees46 View Post
He gave California as an option, and Oregon has a lower COL then most of California. I'm not saying live in Portland. There are many good medium sized towns in Oregon that have moderate COL.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
He gave California as an option, and Oregon has a lower COL then most of California. I'm not saying live in Portland. There are many good medium sized towns in Oregon that have moderate COL.
Yeah, I plan to live in a small sized rural city not too far away from a larger city. In TN a decent sized nice home costs around 150k-200k. I just don't want anything extremely high like in Cali, New York, Hawaii, etc.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:22 PM

34,355 posts, read 41,427,648 times
Give Oregon a look=
10 Reasons Not to Ride Dirt Bikes in Oregon | MotoSport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.