U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 04:01 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,556,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
I must say, there's a lot of trash talking in these boards lately. All negativity aside, what bragging rights does each American city have? Doesn't matter how big or small it is, and one condition, pick a city (or cities) other then the one u live in.

Houston: Biggest city in Texas. they have NASA and a pleasant skyline. They also have an interesting major freeway system with the loops and all. Lots of fortune 500 companies too!oh, how can I forget about the Texas Medical Center!
Chicago...the Hub. Middle of the country, and on the lake too. Busiest airport in the U.S.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 04:47 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,021,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I live in Baltimore but will throw a shout out to Milwaukee:
1. The beautiful parkland all along the lakefront is unreal. It is great for biking, hiking, swimming, people watching and I even skied down there in the winter.
2. The downtown area is quiet but has many beautiful older buildings that give the city an air of dignity.
3. The great food all over along with a bar on every corner.
4. Biking can be accomplished all along the shore. I biked to Racine toward the south and Port Washington toward the north.
5. Cooler weather right along the lakefront in the summertime.
Baltimore is my second city that I would give a shout out to. It was a toss up between Baltimore and Milwaukee.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 PM

11,937 posts, read 33,077,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Chicago...the Hub. Middle of the country, and on the lake too. Busiest airport in the U.S.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but Atlanta has the world's busiest airport both in terms of the number of passengers and in the number of actual aircraft movements. Chicago O'Hare is a close second. But it's still second.

FAA: Atlanta airport is nation's busiest - USATODAY.com

Old 02-27-2008, 06:37 PM

MEMPHIS:
  • Home of the world's busiest cargo airport.
  • Home to Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital, founded by entertainer Danny Thomas and now the country's 3rd largest medical charity.
  • Memphis recording studios gave the world Elvis Presley, Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis, Roy Orbison, Charlie Rich, Carl Perkins, Tina Turner, Rufus Thomas, and other rock & roll pioneers.
  • The world's first self-serve supermarket, Piggly Wiggly, started in Memphis.
  • The world's first chain of roadside motels, Holiday Inn, started in Memphis.
  • The Memphis Zoo is one of only four in the US to have panda bears.
  • At 4,500 acres, Shelby Farms is one of the largest city parks in America.

Last edited by JMT; 02-27-2008 at 07:45 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 06:45 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,363,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car957 View Post
My State Capital is 2 feet taller than the US Capital and bigger than any of the other 49 state capital buildings.

But shorter than Louisianas

Old 02-27-2008, 06:48 PM

409 posts, read 1,370,394 times
Twin Cities Metro, MN (Minneapolis/St. Paul)

-Has BY FAR the largest mall you have ever seen in your life, including an indoor theme park in the center.

-Four very distinct seasons, probably one of the very few places in the US where it can get to -40 in the winter and 110 in the summer. Thats a 150 degree spread!!!!

-Home to one of the most easily recognizable, and most mocked accents.

-Has the 2nd highest attendance of broadway/theatrical shows, behind NYC of course. Bet you didn't know that.

-And last but not least, is the home of Prince. Or The artist formerly known as Prince or whatever the hell else he calls himself these days.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:49 PM

4,382 posts, read 15,363,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trabbz View Post

-Has BY FAR the largest mall you have ever seen in your life, including an indoor theme park in the center.
List of largest buildings in the world - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-27-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
But shorter than Louisianas
The Texas capitol is also shorter than Florida's and (get this) North Dakota's capitol buildings.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:58 PM

409 posts, read 1,370,394 times
Funny you posted that because I just checked and saw that it really isn't the largest but apparently it is arguable depending on if you are talking about "total area" or "leasable space". I wonder why the Mall of America seems to get so much more attention?

Old 02-27-2008, 07:05 PM

893 posts, read 453,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Louisville

the site of...

- the world's first successful hand transplant
- the world's first self contained (wireless) artificial heart
- the development of the world's first cervical cancer vaccine (Gardasil)
- the first public library in the US opened to African Americans
- the first public viewing place of Edison's electric light bulb
- the largest Victorian era Historic Preservation District in the US (where I live!)
- the largest municipal forest in the US (Jefferson Memorial Forest)

- disputed firsts:
Louisville claims to be the site of the first cheeseburger, a claim also made by Pasadena, CA. Louisville also claims to have had the first civilian ambulance and emergency room, both are also claimed by nearby Cincinnati
Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
you got my vote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or