U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 07:07 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
The Texas capitol is also shorter than Florida's and (get this) North Dakota's capitol buildings.
Dont forget nebraska's second only to louisiana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 07:08 PM

3,340 posts, read 8,703,212 times
Will someone please give omaha our creadit or i'll have to do it myself

Old 02-28-2008, 01:33 AM

939 posts, read 2,828,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Omaha is home of Berkshire Hathaway, warren buffets pride and joy. He's the 2nd richest man in America. Omaha also has an unusually high number of reputable large companies for a Midwestern city, probably the most modern small metro region in the Midwest! Someone else can add more, this is all I know about Omaha, and that American idol tryouts took place there recently :d

Old 02-28-2008, 06:04 PM

35 posts, read 156,720 times
Asheville, North Carolina

-Studies show Asheville to be the happiest town in America

Old 02-28-2008, 09:03 PM

5,812 posts, read 16,649,938 times
St. Louis has the Arch, 3 major parks, Museums, Zoos, architecture, Cardinals, Blues, Rams, 3 major universities as well as some smaller schools in the area. Plus it's very affordable. Plus the weather is not boring.

Notable St. Louisans: Nelly, Larry Hughes, Darius Miles, Tina Turner (she may have found fame in Memphis but she started singing in a club in St. Louis), Ryan Howard, Yogi Berra, Chuck Berry, Cedric The Entertainer (born in Caruthersville, raised in Jeff City, then Maryland Heights in St. Louis and went to college at SEMO in Cape Girardeau), John Goodman, Chingy, Mark Buehrle, Cam Janssen, Mike Shannon, Harry & Skip Caray, Chingy, Miles Davis, T.S. Eliot, Buddy Ebsen, Jenna Fischer, Redd Foxx, Maya Angelou, Joe Garagiola, Kevin Kline, Tennessee Williams, Shelley Winters, Ike Turner

Some of these stars are honored on the St. Louis Walk of Fame.

Basically, St. Louis is a wonderful city with a lot to do and see. And it's pretty affordable for being so large. I would recommend anyone go to a Cardinal game sometime if you get the chance. It's a great park. Although, if you go in June, July, or August makes sure to dress lightly and drink a lot of water.

Old 02-28-2008, 10:13 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,320,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Ne View Post
Katiana already gave props to Omaha. If anything, we should all be ashamed of ourselves for not worshipping the almighty "Electric City" of SCRANTON!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 07:23 AM

194 posts, read 229,482 times
He said VERY CLEARLY don't talk about your own city!

There are plenty of *other* threads for civic pride boosting. You can even start your own.

Old 02-29-2008, 08:14 AM
Status: "Nobody's right if everybody's wrong" (set 23 days ago)

9,829 posts, read 21,132,956 times
Spelled backwards Scanton is notnarsc

Old 02-29-2008, 09:38 AM

93 posts, read 63,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Louisville

the site of...

- the world's first successful hand transplant
- the world's first self contained (wireless) artificial heart
- the development of the world's first cervical cancer vaccine (Gardasil)
- the first public library in the US opened to African Americans
- the first public viewing place of Edison's electric light bulb
- the largest Victorian era Historic Preservation District in the US (where I live!)
- the largest municipal forest in the US (Jefferson Memorial Forest)

- disputed firsts:
Louisville claims to be the site of the first cheeseburger, a claim also made by Pasadena, CA. Louisville also claims to have had the first civilian ambulance and emergency room, both are also claimed by nearby Cincinnati
Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The rule laid out was don't talk about the city you live in!

Old 02-29-2008, 01:20 PM

30,184 posts, read 67,320,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Spelled backwards Scanton is notnarsc
Thank you! Now somebody gave positive props to Scranton for having a hard-to-pronounce reverse spelling. You rock, censusdata!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or