Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 11:08 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Anyone have anything good to say about Denver?
Comedy Central's South Park takes place near Denver. That's cool!!! You also get more snow than Scranton; that makes me envious! Your suburbs are also much more cautiously and efficiently planned than Scranton's "slap 'em up quick for the rich NJ/NYC dummies" suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 12:32 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
I live in Greenville, NC so I will say Baltimore, MD instead...

-The worlds tallest pentagon shaped building (As long as Dubai doesn't do anything about it lol)
-Home to one of the worlds greatest hospitals (John Hopkins)
-We have set a new standard for baseball stadiums across the nation, because of the Oriels stadium (almost every new stadium in the nation is said to use it's retro design)
-The social security administration is head quartered there.
-We have the 1st Washington Monument (mostly everybody thinks that D.C.'s was built before ours)
-The star spangled banner was written there
-We use to be the 2nd leading city for immigrants coming to the united states (only behind NYC's Ellis Island even though it's really in NJ)
-We have to lead the nation in the amount of row houses
-Our aquarium may not be the largest but it is ranked the best.
-Our medical knowledge is easily one of the worlds highest.
-It is the 1st city that is called the "north" along I-95 when your going north bound
-We have the oldest all-girls school in the nation
-We had the largest high-school in the east coast (But corruption came and now it's small, the capacity is over 4,500)
-We have some of the best marble steps (walk around the city, people will be sweeping there steps)
-They are extremely known for there crabs and seafood...
-We are the Lacrosse playing city of the nation
-Babe Ruth one of the greatest baseball players of all time was born and lived there (the only baseball player with his name on candy)
-The Lexington Market is the largest running market in the world (its been open since the late 1700's)
-The shot tower was the tallest building in the us from 1828 to 1846
-We maybe the most unknown film market (what I mean by that is we have a lot of movies that have been made here but people didn't know they were made here)
-The Baltimore zoo is the 3rd oldest in the nation
-Druid Hill park is the nations 2nd or 3rd oldest park (Central Park opened the same year, but Philly has the oldest)
-Peabody Library is one of the oldest in the nation and is called one of the nations most beautiful libraries
-University of Maryland Baltimore was the 1st dental school in the world
-We basically created the "chicken box"!!! LOL
-We were the 2nd city in the nation to hit 100,000 (NYC was 1st of course)
-We have the person with the most olympic metals on the world (born, and lives here, but everyone knows what happened, so he may have messed up his career [Michael Phelps]
-one of George Bush's daughter lives in Fells Point part of Baltimore, along with Michael Phelps (I'm a President Barack Obama supporter)
-Fort McHenry Tunnel is the worlds widest tunnel built in the immeresed tube method
-We are known for "Baltimore Club Music"
-and there is plenty more...

Old 03-07-2009, 12:50 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,766,060 times
^ Don't forget the first umbrella factory was in Baltimore!

(btw - Jenna Bush lives on South Charles street (people always debate weather she lives in Federal Hill or south Baltimore))

Old 03-07-2009, 01:01 PM

3,282 posts, read 5,202,213 times
Quote:
I hear there are a lot of fit people. That's a huge plus for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Detroit: the bad-ass capital of America
For better or worse. People here might be a little too real for most.

Seattle and Portland both have the most excellent blend of urban and natural landscapes in close proximity.

Old 04-15-2010, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 12,072 times
Memphis,Tn
+ Site of the first African American neighbohood Built by AfricanAmericans
+ Creation of the blues and Rock&Roll basically we make modern music
+ Elvis
+ 2007 Most Dangerous city
+ 2008 2nd Most dangerous
+ 2009 2nd Most dangerous
+ More assaults & Fights than any other city in america 2009

Old 06-07-2013, 12:55 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Denver

- Active and vibrant downtown that's always improving and getting bigger.
- Impressive expansion of mass transit system (light rail & commuter rail) that will serving pretty much every angle of the metro area
- Noticable physically fit population and active outdoor and sports culture
- Some charming neighborhoods and interesting architecture
- Great Art Museum
- Nice and scenic setting where praries meet the Rockies
- For a cool city that picks up on trends it's still relatively affordable
- Plenty of sunshine
- Great modern airport, can fly nonstop to just about any major city in North America

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 06-07-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 06-07-2013, 12:58 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caphillsea77 View Post
Denver

- Active and vibrant downtown that's always improving and getting bigger.
- Impressive expansion of mass transit system (light rail & commuter rail) serving pretty much every angle of the metro area
- Noticable physically fit population and active outdoor and sports culture
- Some charming neighborhoods and interesting architecture
- Great Art Museum
- Nice and scenic setting where praries meet the Rockies
- For a cool city that picks up on trends it's still relatively affordable
- Plenty of sunshine
- Great modern airport, can fly nonstop to just about any major city in North America
I'll add.

-Great beer
-Good green chilli dishes--though maybe not as good as New Mexico(and different)

Also, I'll second that Denver as a city seems really fit and there is a true love of the outdoors there.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:23 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,822,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I'll add.

-Great beer
-Good green chilli dishes--though maybe not as good as New Mexico(and different)

Also, I'll second that Denver as a city seems really fit and there is a true love of the outdoors there.
I can't believe I forgot beer, DUH!
I was thinking of attending this in October: Great American Beer Festival. Denver, CO, Oct 10-12 2013
Green chile, well yeah it's there but New Mexico owns that with gusto.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:24 AM

936 posts, read 3,191,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
I actually think Dallas is bigger than Houston...I just think metros are more accurate than arbitrary city propers.
I'm not quite sure why ainulinale would try to correct a fact ,but here's my response 5 years later. I KNOW Dallas metro is bigger than Houston, but the fact remains that HOUSTON is the biggest CITY in Texas, both in people and square miles. Metro is irrelevant, since this thread is NOT about metros. I'm not attempting to sound snub. We all have the right to defend ourselves .

Old 08-06-2013, 12:44 AM

13 posts, read 14,128 times
Minneapolis is a "wonderfully spirited city" I LOVED MY TIME THERE AS A VISITOR (1981). Sorry, breaking the rule not to -bring- YOUR OWN CITY. I can see that sentimentally, but, I am gonna state only a FACT. NEW BRITAIN, CT: "Stanley Tools, Is world hqt. -there-
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.