Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:32 PM

940 posts, read 3,179,832 times

Advertisements

I must say, there's a lot of trash talking in these boards lately. All negativity aside, what bragging rights does each American city have? Doesn't matter how big or small it is, and one condition, pick a city (or cities) other then the one u live in.

Houston: Biggest city in Texas. they have NASA and a pleasant skyline. They also have an interesting major freeway system with the loops and all. Lots of fortune 500 companies too!oh, how can I forget about the Texas Medical Center!

Last edited by SouthCali4LifeSD; 02-26-2008 at 12:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 01:05 PM

194 posts, read 301,644 times
New York is the biggest and the baddest of them all, and thus *sometimes*, the most annoying.

They don't quite seem to understand that many cities don't care that New Yorkers think other cities pale in comparison, or everything west of Jersey is "hicksville". It's kinda funny sometimes.

*That being said, as far as bragging rights, they've got the biggest and the baddest subway system of all time, the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, the Brooklyn Bridge, the Lincoln Tunnel, and the Greatest skyscraper *ever* built, the Chrysler Building!

*New York's biggest bragging right is that it was the *first* to do many things, as far as infrastructure, in North America
(bridges, tunnels, etc.).

*San Francisco has the Golden Gate Bridge, hilly terrain that doesn't exist anywhere else, and a relatively cool (but increasingly snooty) vibe.

*Toronto has the CN Tower, and imho, the *coolest* vibes of any city in North America.

*Chicago has the awesome skyline (Sears Tower, John Hancock Building), Lake Michigan (beautiful), and it's own distinct food/foodie culture.

*Philly has that *INCREDIBLE* City Hall, the Liberty Bell, and also it's own distinct food/foodie culture. God bless the saintly man who invented the Cheesesteak (Sharp Provolone for me, no Wiz!)

Last edited by Slauson Rosecranz; 02-26-2008 at 01:22 PM..

Old 02-26-2008, 01:12 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,170,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post

Houston: Biggest city in Texas. they have NASA and a pleasant skyline. They also have an interesting major freeway system with the loops and all. Lots of fortune 500 companies too!oh, how can I forget about the Texas Medical Center!
I actually think Dallas is bigger than Houston...I just think metros are more accurate than arbitrary city propers.

New York: biggest and oldest major city in America; pretty much everything
Los Angeles: Gorgeous weather, beaches, awesome culture IMO, movies, natural beauty
Chicago: great skyline/CBD
Cleveland:.....................just kidding Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, beautiful lake, past football champions
Boston: most gorgeous architecture in the county IMO, many universities
Philadelphia: again great architecture;4th largest urban area, old and historical
Washington DC: most powerful city in the world as it houses the most powerful govenment to ever exist
Baltimore: beautiful rows
Detroit: the bad-ass capital of America

Old 02-26-2008, 01:40 PM

194 posts, read 301,644 times
The ultimate city would have New York's infrastructure, L.A.'s climate and geography, Toronto's tolerant, positive people,
and Philadelphia's delicious food.

Where *is* this mythical town?

Atlantis, maybe?

Old 02-26-2008, 01:52 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,961,164 times
My State Capital is 2 feet taller than the US Capital and bigger than any of the other 49 state capital buildings.

We're also home to the largest population of Mexican free tail bats during the spring who reside beneath a major downtown bridge.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:59 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,344,398 times
Louisville

the site of...

- the world's first successful hand transplant
- the world's first self contained (wireless) artificial heart
- the development of the world's first cervical cancer vaccine (Gardasil)
- the first public library in the US opened to African Americans
- the first public viewing place of Edison's electric light bulb
- the largest Victorian era Historic Preservation District in the US (where I live!)
- the largest municipal forest in the US (Jefferson Memorial Forest)

- disputed firsts:
Louisville claims to be the site of the first cheeseburger, a claim also made by Pasadena, CA. Louisville also claims to have had the first civilian ambulance and emergency room, both are also claimed by nearby Cincinnati
Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-26-2008, 03:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,929,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slauson Rosecranz View Post
The ultimate city would have New York's infrastructure, L.A.'s climate and geography, Toronto's tolerant, positive people,
and Philadelphia's delicious food.

Where *is* this mythical town?

Atlantis, maybe?
In the country of Utopia.

Old 02-26-2008, 05:51 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,186,715 times
Oklahoma City
-hit by the worst homegrown terrorist attack on American soil
-hit by the most powerful F5 tornado ever recorded
-was once the largest city in the United States in terms of land area; has probably been exceeded with other cities and counties consolidating
-rebuilt downtown from a crime ridden mess as recently as the mid 90s to a hip entertainment and restaurant district

Old 02-26-2008, 06:19 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,320,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Louisville

the site of...

- the world's first successful hand transplant
- the world's first self contained (wireless) artificial heart
- the development of the world's first cervical cancer vaccine (Gardasil)
- the first public library in the US opened to African Americans
- the first public viewing place of Edison's electric light bulb
- the largest Victorian era Historic Preservation District in the US (where I live!)
- the largest municipal forest in the US (Jefferson Memorial Forest)

- disputed firsts:
Louisville claims to be the site of the first cheeseburger, a claim also made by Pasadena, CA. Louisville also claims to have had the first civilian ambulance and emergency room, both are also claimed by nearby Cincinnati
Louisville, Kentucky - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Now now. The OP said not to talk about the city you live in, which I think is a good rule.

Count everything CensusData just said about Louisville as being said by me. (Now you have to say something nice about Chicago, CD.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:40 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,344,398 times
Chicago is the city of broad shoulders
- it is where the first steel skyscraper was built (1885), has usually been home to tallest building in US
- currently building the Western Hemisphere's first 2000 feet tall building
- population of city proper grew from 29,000 in 1850 to 3.6 million in 1950
- the Labor Day holiday was formed to honor the 7 people executed for helping workers unionize in Chicago's Forest Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.