U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 01:43 PM
REM

368 posts, read 885,217 times

Advertisements

Tell me about it! I'm 16 and i find it annoying! All these gangster wannabes walking in school when you can't even ****ing understand them! The clothes are annoying and dont' even get me started on the attitude. People want to make excuses and say that it's just their culture. Which is some reason to act like and idiot i guess... :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 11:56 PM

70 posts, read 376,085 times
I would agree that some kids are crazy today. Unfortunately it's the bad kids that act out who give all kids a bad name. It was the same when I was coming up in the late 80s early 90s, the infamous Generation X. However the worst those kids did was smoke a little pot and got drunk every weekend. Today's bad kids are acting out so much more then my generation did. It seems that every generation has bad seeds that act out and every generation that comes after has worse problems.

I truly believe that the problems with today's bad kids is breakdown of the family unit and the ever increasing climate of political correctness. This started with my generation X and now it's much worse on Gen Y kids. Another HUGE reason for the moral decline is gratuitous violence in media like movies, music and video games. Also this so called "Hip Hop" culture that has become mainstream during the last 10 years is a cancer on kids with it's glorification of gang activity, demeaning of women and the worship of all things "bling".

I seen this culture everyday up until a few months ago. I was a DJ on a Top 40 station. If you are a parent of a young kid today, you really need to listen to what your kids are hearing. Check out Radio Now 100.9 and Hot 96.3 and prepare to be shocked. The music kids listen today to is getting so out of control and it's not right when 12 year olds call in and want to hear the latest garbage from 50 Cent. Music has gone way beyond talking about getting drunk or wanting to get it on with a girl like in my day. Commercially successful songs from idiots like 50 Cent and Eminem now talk about shooting people and I had enough of contributing to it. I made the switch to a country station and my moral conscience is happier for it.

Another thing, we need to make kids that do adult crimes face adult punishments. I'm tired of this under 18 crap. These kids know exactly what they are doing when they point a gun in someone's face and take their car or money.

Geesh...I'm starting to sound like my father!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 06:36 AM

17,700 posts, read 35,654,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler73 View Post
I would agree that some kids are crazy today. Unfortunately it's the bad kids that act out who give all kids a bad name. It was the same when I was coming up in the late 80s early 90s, the infamous Generation X. However the worst those kids did was smoke a little pot and got drunk every weekend. Today's bad kids are acting out so much more then my generation did. It seems that every generation has bad seeds that act out and every generation that comes after has worse problems.

I truly believe that the problems with today's bad kids is breakdown of the family unit and the ever increasing climate of political correctness. This started with my generation X and now it's much worse on Gen Y kids. Another HUGE reason for the moral decline is gratuitous violence in media like movies, music and video games. Also this so called "Hip Hop" culture that has become mainstream during the last 10 years is a cancer on kids with it's glorification of gang activity, demeaning of women and the worship of all things "bling".

I seen this culture everyday up until a few months ago. I was a DJ on a Top 40 station. If you are a parent of a young kid today, you really need to listen to what your kids are hearing. Check out Radio Now 100.9 and Hot 96.3 and prepare to be shocked. The music kids listen today to is getting so out of control and it's not right when 12 year olds call in and want to hear the latest garbage from 50 Cent. Music has gone way beyond talking about getting drunk or wanting to get it on with a girl like in my day. Commercially successful songs from idiots like 50 Cent and Eminem now talk about shooting people and I had enough of contributing to it. I made the switch to a country station and my moral conscience is happier for it.

Another thing, we need to make kids that do adult crimes face adult punishments. I'm tired of this under 18 crap. These kids know exactly what they are doing when they point a gun in someone's face and take their car or money.

Geesh...I'm starting to sound like my father!!!
As a fellow member of Generation X, I agree! My oldest is 7 and I am astouded at how much more media they have available to them! One of my now 6 year olds first words was ... and I'm not kidding ... was "dot com"! My 7 year old, when she was five, saw a tv commercial and told me that she needed "my card" to order something ... I don't know, but I feel like I'm working a lot harder than my parents did in volleying back all the stuff served to my kids. My 3 year old has amazing computer mouse skills and it just kills me, but he needs them!

I also see a lot more frustrated or exhausted parents out there who, rather than teaching their kids the meaning of the word "no", pacify their kids just to give them peace a quiet. I also see them putting their heads in the sand and not accepting responsibility for their kids behavior.

Now I'm sounding like an old fart.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 AM

12 posts, read 45,097 times
Aren't some people here exaggerating? I mean look back to your youth, didn't you dress too light, got drunk and stoned, and honestly, who never lied to their parents about going somewhere? I agree that you can't let children do wat they want and have to teach them what is wrong and right, and about consewuences, but we're not talking about kids. 14 or 16 year olds know that wha they do is wrong, and they are fully aware of the consequences, and as long as it stays in a certain frame you can't do anything against juvenile behavior. I mean puberty is a hard time, and teenagers often are grumpy and moody, some more some less, but thats because of hormones. How you are in High School says little about how you are later in life.

It's just a hard time for everyone and some kids have problems growing up, some don't. I guess parents don#t have that much to do with it. My daughter was born when I was 18, I was a single mom since she was 4, and I raised her quite liberal (not like my parents raised me). She is now 19 and in college and hangs around with those south texas evangelical silver-ring-thing football/cheerleader fascists. The last time I met her she told me she recently was at a demonstration for the death penalty. I'm kind of worried, although I think it's great that she des get engaged politically I think it's not normal to be so conservative at such a young age. I'd prefer if she'd be a little wilder sometimes, your youth is over faster than you know..

Old 02-29-2008, 01:19 PM

I don't know, maybe I was an anomoly as a teenager. I didn't do anything except sports ... never partied, never smoked, not that I didn't consider lying to my parents, but I knew they could see right through me. What can I say, I was raised by a German.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:24 PM

172 posts, read 456,976 times
Ya know... One thing that has always haunted me about my friends daughter, is that I've always had the feeling there was 'something else' going on there.

You know, like an underlying family squabble or something that was said in the heat of an argument years ago that was never resolved? Just something... I can't put my finger on it, but something is really wrong with their relationship.

And yes...I have considered this perspective:
"Aren't some people here exaggerating? I mean look back to your youth, didn't you dress too light, got drunk and stoned, and honestly, who never lied to their parents about going somewhere? I agree that you can't let children do wat they want and have to teach them what is wrong and right, and about consewuences, but we're not talking about kids. 14 or 16 year olds know that wha they do is wrong, and they are fully aware of the consequences, and as long as it stays in a certain frame you can't do anything against juvenile behavior. I mean puberty is a hard time, and teenagers often are grumpy and moody, some more some less, but thats because of hormones. How you are in High School says little about how you are later in life."

But it's something different. I just can't put my finger on it because I'm not there enough to see 'all the fireworks'. I have witnessed her temper and it is monumental! I just hope she doesn't 'snap' one day and 'go postal'!

Old 02-29-2008, 02:26 PM

18,264 posts, read 7,290,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REM View Post
Tell me about it! I'm 16 and i find it annoying! All these gangster wannabes walking in school when you can't even ****ing understand them! The clothes are annoying and dont' even get me started on the attitude. People want to make excuses and say that it's just their culture. Which is some reason to act like and idiot i guess... :/
i totally understand you i am in high school and i am considered today's youth but yet i feel like a old record player! i despise of gangster wannabes i just want to F****** kill them the way they talk,act,dress, is just moronic and especially the attitude it just makes you want to kill them!

Old 02-29-2008, 10:55 PM

70 posts, read 376,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texmpls View Post
Aren't some people here exaggerating? I mean look back to your youth, didn't you dress too light, got drunk and stoned, and honestly, who never lied to their parents about going somewhere?
Sure, every generation has kids who get drunk, smoke pot, etc...we get that. I didn't do that stuff but knew kids that did and we thought they were losers. Perhaps the reason I didn't do that stuff is because I came from an unbroken home and was taught right from wrong, just a hunch.

The difference between prior generations and today's "hip hop" influenced youth, besides their record use of alcohol, drugs and teen pregnancy, is they are very quick to fight and take that argument to the next level by using weapons like guns. This is the first generation where "gang type" violence has become mainstream and glorified. Even more dangerous is that the other kids think it's glamorous.

And gdude, you're probably just starving for attention here, but you need to chill out with the "kill" talk. I'm not fond of these "gansta" kids either, but you talking about killing them is exactly the kind of rush to violence I am refering to.

Obviously society has gone down hill during the last 10 years. Today's kids think that violence is the automatic answer to an argument. I grieve for the next generation.

Old 03-01-2008, 07:40 AM

I guess the thing that alarms me the most is the use of guns. A girl breaks up with someone, or people feel like they are getting picked on, so they go out and kill people. I don't recall this happening when I was in high school and college in the 80's. I was talking to my mom and she said wonders what is the world coming to when a girl can't break up with someone without the risk of being killed? I'm not saying that bullying should be tolerated, but face it, bullying has been going on for decades, if not beyond. Heck, I was the victim of bullying and being made fun of ... did I wish harm on the people who did it? Sure!!! Absolutely, but the thought of actually carrying out the harm? No way! The thought of sending my children to school and possibly getting shot by someone who feels like they've been picked on one too many times, or by a jilted boyfriend? Makes me shudder. Could it be that today's youth live in a culture of both violence and fear?

Old 03-01-2008, 08:15 AM

8,262 posts, read 16,389,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraderJack View Post
Ya know... One thing that has always haunted me about my friends daughter, is that I've always had the feeling there was 'something else' going on there.

You know, like an underlying family squabble or something that was said in the heat of an argument years ago that was never resolved? Just something... I can't put my finger on it, but something is really wrong with their relationship.

And yes...I have considered this perspective:
"Aren't some people here exaggerating? I mean look back to your youth, didn't you dress too light, got drunk and stoned, and honestly, who never lied to their parents about going somewhere? I agree that you can't let children do wat they want and have to teach them what is wrong and right, and about consewuences, but we're not talking about kids. 14 or 16 year olds know that wha they do is wrong, and they are fully aware of the consequences, and as long as it stays in a certain frame you can't do anything against juvenile behavior. I mean puberty is a hard time, and teenagers often are grumpy and moody, some more some less, but thats because of hormones. How you are in High School says little about how you are later in life."

But it's something different. I just can't put my finger on it because I'm not there enough to see 'all the fireworks'. I have witnessed her temper and it is monumental! I just hope she doesn't 'snap' one day and 'go postal'!
I almost hate to bring this up---but---when you think back on things, you dont remember anything that now seems inappropriate with dad/daughter? Sometimes those things are repressed. I raised 3 daughters and i can remember actually NOT hugging my girls a few times because of certain gossips being around. Just a thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.