U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 05:09 AM

172 posts, read 456,726 times

Advertisements

Nick, one thing you need to learn is that everybody knows that there are bad people in the world, but those bad people were not always bad. At one time they were good kids.

Their circumstances, their environment, they way they saw the world - something - caused them to turn.

As adults, our experiences have taught us that it's very difficult to keep that from happening.
We talk about it, we study it, we punish the wrong doers ... and we still can't prevent people from doing bad things.

So, we have the highest hopes for our youth, because we know -
... that some of you will become bad people - to replace some of us.

We just wish it weren't so...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 06:24 AM

17,700 posts, read 35,627,629 times
Unfortunately, and I've said this before, it seems like "today's youth" react to situations with violence, heinous violence (guns, filming beat downs), rather than just letting things go or working things out civilly. Maybe it's access to technology and media ... I don't know. It seems like some of "today's youth" want attention and will go to extremes to get it.

Old 04-25-2008, 09:42 AM

990 posts, read 1,514,791 times
Wink Todays youth

I work at an inner city school and I'm a Behavioral Facilitator, most of the bad behavior I see comes from what they are or aren't learning at home.A lot of them are left to their own devices and they watch alot of that crap on tv and the music(if you can call it that)they listen to.Many of these kids are clueless to the kind of behavior that was expected of people of my generation when we were kids.Don't get me wrong there are still alot of good kids out there, but it all starts at home.

Old 04-25-2008, 11:04 PM

27 posts, read 92,975 times
Well they go to such extreme measures to get attention out here because they dont get it at home. Ultimately, its the parents fault in my opinion. My parents nurture me, but not to the point where Ive become a spoiled brat. And not so less that Im a trouble making hooligan.

Its all a balance and I know finding that balance must be really difficult but I just dont like how all the blame lies with us. You never see the news interviewing parents and asking them where they went wrong to get their children in this condition.

I think parents really just need to put there foots down and realize that their teens arent the perfect little children that they make them out to be. If I do something I know is wrong, I get punished for it. It should be like that with every teen, but when they dont get punished they get this feeling like "Im unstoppable, I can do whatever I want." Sure drugs and alcohol also play a role in moral decay but this also lies with the parents. My parents let me drink with them on occasion so that if I ever go to parties or anything of the sort, then drinkings not that big of a deal because Ive already done it. We all want what we cant have.

And I know that a huge majority of todays youth is on the wrong path but theres still some of us who care. But the depressing thing is, most of the kids that behave badly are so rich and upperclass that they never get in trouble for it. Its even more depressing that they grow up to lead our country. While those of us who worked hard in highschool and college end up becoming their lackeys, deskmen, secretaries, and runners.

Which leads me to lack of motivation. Now a days we rarely ever get rewarded for good grades or being out standing citizens in our community. So that makes it really hard to care. I know we should just do it for self satisfaction but thats just not how the world works anymore...

I have the perfect song that describes this.
"The City is at War" by Cobra Starship.
Some of the lyrics go like
"The City is at war waged among the young and rich. Ignore me if you see me cuz i just dont give a ____ [fill in your own word there, you probably know what it is]. It describes us perfectly. We just dont care. Well most of us dont.

Thanks TraderJack and Domergurl for your insight. I know where you guys are coming from but you have to be able to relate. I mean, even you guys were teens at one time! It had to have gotten pretty anoying for everyone to stereotype you as a bad person just because of your age..

Well thanks again!
Nickk

Old 04-26-2008, 01:43 AM

2,015 posts, read 5,006,831 times
Being a peace officer myself, nonsmoker but a kid once myself not too long ago, I can tell you that more people have died on the streets because of alcohol and I don't think I can recall any that have died on the streets of marijuana, though smoking does kill in long-term effect but if you do either in your own home that is really your personal preference. Other substances are different as small substances of cocaine, LSD, extasy can fry your brain and also large amounts of alcohol that's why we want to keep those off the streets. The problem with kids nowadays is that both parents work don't have time to watch their kids and parents don't just reer their kids, also your kids friends, your kids teacher, televison medium and a lot of kids who grow up in this kind of environment where both parents work, they grow up at schools cliques and day cares are really insecure and don't know how to handle their problem. Parents and schools no longer teach "respect" either, it's all about "Character building" today and kids today just need to learn to respect others and themselves and appreciate the finer things in life that don't cost money such as friends, family, life, the great outdoors. Get them involved in team sports, ROTC, volunteer, and take them out and enjoy some time with them. You know the truth is any kid can "explode" but as good role model of parent, you are the best tools for your kids success.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:58 AM

Nik ... I was a teen, yes ... a ffffffffffffffew years ago My parents both worked, but they had me in afterschool activities to keep me busy. I wasn't the most popular person and as much as I wanted to pummel some people, I didn't because I knew it was wrong and the consequences would be beyond just me ... it would embarass my parents, and THAT was enough to keep me in line. It seems like some of the teens today are far too self centered to realize that their behavior is a reflection of how they were raised, either that, or they just don't care. TJ mentioned awhile back about his friends overindulging their daughter and I honestly see a lot in many of the places I've lived ... give 'em what they want so we can have some peace ... sheesh! That's anti-parenting 101.

Old 04-26-2008, 10:01 AM

172 posts, read 456,726 times
I remember when I was a kid I was outdoors riding my bike, playing at some imaginary event and looking for interesting things in nature. I had a BB gun, a bow and arrow set and a pocket knife - in my world, that's all any kid ever wanted.

Early on, I was facinated by how things worked and how they were put together. At first I took apart old radios, clocks, broken kitchen electronics and lawn mowers, then I started building model cars and model planes. And, when I got a chemistry set for my 10th BDay, I nearly blew up the house! I saw some other kids exhibit the same interests and watched with puzzlement as their parent poo-pooed it or scolded them for doing such things.

At 12 I bought my first motorscooter - a Lambretta(with lawn mowing $), then a motorcycle at 16. I began a long affair with machines and how they worked very early in my life. As an adult I was a television engineer, keeping broadcast TV on the air.

I think the advantage I had growing up was that my folks recognized my talents and gifts and nurtured them. They didn't just pacify me with gifts or busy work. They would let me play and work on my own and check on me now and then, but by and large they knew I was usually busy with one of my 'projects'.

For my money, that's a big part of the problem with todays youth. Parents don't take the time to really understand their kids, dont' listen to what's 'between the lines' in their conversation, and don't nurture their kids 'God Given' gifts.

They put them in soccor or other school activities two or three times a week, make them practive golf or tennis until they're exhausted, or just ignore them alltogether and hope they'll turn out all right. It seems the parent is either 'not interested', doesn't 'have the time', or they're 'overbearing'!

Parents must be totally involved in their kids lives, but they must let the kid find his own way. And, if they don't give proper oversight, the kid will find a way to stimulate his senses on his own, without their help! That's a dangerous path for most.

Making excuses about failure and feeling guilty about 'not being there' is just lame. Parents must make the time for their kids, period. Throwing money at the problem doesn't solve it - it just become a more expensive problem.

If you know a kid that needs nurturing, take them fishing - take them camping - take them shooting - take them to a ballgame - take them to a museum - take them to the fair - ... They're starving, FEED THEM!

Old 04-26-2008, 11:45 AM

260 posts, read 1,211,774 times
Dare I say it...I think the whole Hip Hop culture may be among the leading contributors to the outlandish behaviour of most kids. That is apparant just by the way that a majority dress. Kids are very easily influenced, and I'm sorry, but the whole "gangsta" thing does not have any possitive influence on kids that I can see...I'm not knocking the music, if thats what you like, to each their own. But it seems so many kids get sucked into the whole "lifestyle" aspect of it....white kids from suburbia acting like they are straight out of compton. Throw in all the sex and violence on TV, video games, and lack parental involvement, it is a recipe for chaos.

I don't have an answer or solution, wish I did. But I do think that society itself is a big part of the problem, which means the adults are more to blame than the kids themselves.

Last edited by ImGibby; 04-26-2008 at 12:17 PM..

Old 05-03-2008, 11:37 AM

18,264 posts, read 7,278,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Unfortunately, and I've said this before, it seems like "today's youth" react to situations with violence, heinous violence (guns, filming beat downs), rather than just letting things go or working things out civilly. Maybe it's access to technology and media ... I don't know. It seems like some of "today's youth" want attention and will go to extremes to get it.

yeah what happened to the days when all you had to do is tell your parents and they would handle everything?

i agree technology has definetly changed how todays youth act!!

Old 05-03-2008, 01:25 PM

One of my now 6 year old's first words was "dot com" ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.