U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 09:31 AM

18,264 posts, read 7,272,172 times

Advertisements

the other day one of my friends went down to a place called the "Trussel" in plainfield and he came back later and told me he went and met up with 6 other peoople down there and they were trying to get a certain individual down there so they could severely beat this person they were going to hurt this person something terrible.

Luckily the person never showed up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 10:41 AM

17,700 posts, read 35,613,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
the other day one of my friends went down to a place called the "Trussel" in plainfield and he came back later and told me he went and met up with 6 other peoople down there and they were trying to get a certain individual down there so they could severely beat this person they were going to hurt this person something terrible.

Luckily the person never showed up
And said person was going to get beat up why??? Do you know the person?

Old 07-08-2008, 03:48 PM

i guess supposedly the person who was going to get beat up had said some stuff about another kid and that kid got wind of what was being said and he turned very angry.

i remember the stories that my mother would tell me back in the day all you had to do was tell your mother if some monkey business was going on and that was the end of it.

now days people are getting killed and sued over ludricous stuff.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:09 PM

52 posts, read 172,215 times
Our son just graduated from high school. We went through the long hair, the awful clothes and the loud, screaming music. When I reread that sentence, it occurs to me that my father could have written that sentence in 1981.

When I think of my son and his friends, I can think of only a few instances where the kid didn't have to work his/her butt off to get what they wanted. My son and most of his friends had jobs to put gas in their cars. Most of their cars were hand me downs from parents or grandparents and most of them were 10-15 years old. I can only think of two of my son's friends who where handed brand new cars when they turned 16. Our son inherited a car from my mother when she died. He took savings from his part time job and traded the car for something he really liked.

Looking back, it was very similar to my experience as a teenager in the 1970's. The great thing about the cars were those 10 year old cars were muscle cars of the 60's!

I was complaining to my sister once about my son's long hair and clothes. We hadn't seen his eyes in months and all he wore were black rock n roll t-shirts and loose, low rise jeans. She pulled out a picture of me at 16, circa 1979. Hair parted in the middle and feathered back covering my ears and down to my shoulders. Levi's so tight you could tell my religion, and a black AC/DC t-shirt. I shut up.

While our son wasnt' a choirboy, he certainly wasn't a gangster either. He had a pretty hefty speeding ticket, that he paid dearly for. He also lost all privileges and his beloved car for several weeks after he was caught drinking at 17.

We must have done something right. He graduated with honors and starts at IU this fall as a Biology major following a pre-med curriculum.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:09 AM

17,700 posts, read 35,613,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCLead View Post
Our son just graduated from high school. We went through the long hair, the awful clothes and the loud, screaming music. When I reread that sentence, it occurs to me that my father could have written that sentence in 1981.

When I think of my son and his friends, I can think of only a few instances where the kid didn't have to work his/her butt off to get what they wanted. My son and most of his friends had jobs to put gas in their cars. Most of their cars were hand me downs from parents or grandparents and most of them were 10-15 years old. I can only think of two of my son's friends who where handed brand new cars when they turned 16. Our son inherited a car from my mother when she died. He took savings from his part time job and traded the car for something he really liked.

Looking back, it was very similar to my experience as a teenager in the 1970's. The great thing about the cars were those 10 year old cars were muscle cars of the 60's!

I was complaining to my sister once about my son's long hair and clothes. We hadn't seen his eyes in months and all he wore were black rock n roll t-shirts and loose, low rise jeans. She pulled out a picture of me at 16, circa 1979. Hair parted in the middle and feathered back covering my ears and down to my shoulders. Levi's so tight you could tell my religion, and a black AC/DC t-shirt. I shut up.

While our son wasnt' a choirboy, he certainly wasn't a gangster either. He had a pretty hefty speeding ticket, that he paid dearly for. He also lost all privileges and his beloved car for several weeks after he was caught drinking at 17.

We must have done something right. He graduated with honors and starts at IU this fall as a Biology major following a pre-med curriculum.

Thanks for 2 things ...

Raising a fine son who will do well in life
Giving me a good laugh. I highlighted it.

Old 07-28-2008, 02:48 PM

the other day one of my friends was jumped behind Hardee's in Plainfield all over a girl.

his face is completely messed up real bad.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:50 PM

18,270 posts, read 20,588,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swmr1ml View Post
I work at an inner city school and I'm a Behavioral Facilitator, most of the bad behavior I see comes from what they are or aren't learning at home.A lot of them are left to their own devices and they watch alot of that crap on tv and the music(if you can call it that)they listen to.Many of these kids are clueless to the kind of behavior that was expected of people of my generation when we were kids.Don't get me wrong there are still alot of good kids out there, but it all starts at home.
With all due respect I must disagree with your statement I highlighted above. I know how I raised my kids and there was not one school, sports, 4-H, church or other activity I did not attend if they were involved. I monitored TV watching, music, computers and friends, in fact our home is a hangout so I can keep an eye on my own and others that their parents are "too busy". I never gave them things on a silver platter either but instead my oldest learned if they wanted over and above what I provided for them they had to get a job. (When the others get that age they will have the same options) Both employers the oldest had said they were an excellent worker but not here at home wouldn't even pick up dirty socks they left on the floor without an argument or me not letting them do something they wanted to go do.

The oldest is graduated and on their own making poor, poor choices and the lies they told friends in high school about the home life have come back to bite them in the butt. Most of all the friends since K have found out how they really are. Even the graduated friends still come by here to visit knowing the oldest isn't here so I must have made some kind of impact on them maybe. Could not be so easy that I just showed I cared about them reckon? My child was not raised to do the things they are doing so don't put that blanket statement out there that it all starts at home please! All my kids were and are being raised the same way and none of them other than the oldest has been a problem in any area. I do thank God for blessing me with them even my oldest because I know what a good kid they are and one day will hopefully live up to their abilities and gifts.

A child can come from the most loving, caring, involved home but they have free will with choices just like the rest of us. I am very involved in my community and schools so I know there are parents that don't give a hoot what their kids do too. Just don't blanket them all under the same thing please!

Since you are a behavioral facilitator it might be good to remember not to put a period where God has put a comma.

Peace.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:32 AM

42 posts, read 170,013 times
not all the youth like that.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:23 AM

well i know not all youths are like that. but there is a significant amount of todays youth that will leave me wondering where is the future of America heading?

Old 10-23-2008, 07:31 AM

8,897 posts, read 13,651,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
well i know not all youths are like that. but there is a significant amount of todays youth that will leave me wondering where is the future of America heading?
I used to wonder that even when I was a teenager myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.