U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 03:35 PM

163 posts, read 88,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Many blacks in Chicago have a twang but to describe the collective as accents that are very country is a huge exaggeration. Some do, most do not. As far as the city/small town divide. Well this is occurring not only in Florida but Texas as well. Most Blacks in any part of the state of Florida would agree that they are either in the South or are Southerners. Quite honestly, what is Southern. Because from the looks of it, it seems that Southern is only existing in large cities like Memphis, Birmingham, Baton Rouge, and small towns but disappearing in the biggest cities plus those that are demographically different from the rest of the South.
This is true, however even in cities like Charlotte that are losing there southerness. Most of the black community is still VERY southern, and most white neighborhoods in the metro outside of the city proper also are. The Westside of Charlotte is 100% Deep South culturally and about 200k people live there, also between 50-75% of the north and east sides are too. The southside has one of the oldest historically black neighborhoods in America (Grier heights) All of union and gaston county is. It's not like Orlando where maybe half of the black population in the ghetto is southern and a trailer park or two in the greater area is and that is it. Southern culture is still dominant in large cities outside of Florida below the mason Dixon. When you graduate a Charlotte high school your ceremony is held at an arena named after a local famous brand of fried chicken for crying out loud.

Last edited by Beardo; 11-29-2016 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 07:17 PM
_OT

2,146 posts, read 1,534,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
I'd throw Texas into the discussion. It's "sorta" southern, kinda western with a nice dollop of Mexican. It doesn't seem to fit into any singular region.
Western? eh, not to me. Even the Mexicans/Hispanics in Texas are different from Mexicans/Hispanics in California. From my experience, Hispanics in Texas are like other Hispanics in the South; they're very connected to various races, especially Blacks (Mostly due to larger populations).

Texas is a Southern state, but the state itself fits various regions; Gulf Coast, Great Plains, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
I was raised on beer battered mahi mahi, plantains, and grapefruits. My family in the Carolina's grew up on fried catfish, grits, and black eyed peas and make fun of me for talking like a "Yankee".
What part of Florida did you grew up in? Soul Food & Caribbean Food is probably one of the most intriguing blends of cuisines the country can offer, it's very underrated imo, mostly found in the Southeast and along the East Coast. One of my favorite plates is Dirty Rice, Oxtail, Collard Greens, and Mac & Cheese.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:24 PM

163 posts, read 88,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Western? eh, not to me. Even the Mexicans/Hispanics in Texas are different from Mexicans/Hispanics in California. From my experience, Hispanics in Texas are like other Hispanics in the South; they're very connected to various races, especially Blacks (Mostly due to larger populations).

Texas is a Southern state, but the state itself fits various regions; Gulf Coast, Great Plains, etc.

What part of Florida did you grew up in? Soul Food & Caribbean Food is probably one of the most intriguing blends of cuisines the country can offer, it's very underrated imo, mostly found in the Southeast and along the East Coast. One of my favorite plates is Dirty Rice, Oxtail, Collard Greens, and Mac & Cheese.
I'm from st Petersburg. I ate those occasionally growing up too, but I ate a lot more cuban food and fresh fish. We ate ocean fish almost every day and always beer batter fried it or blackened it, and I also ate citrus every day, every meal. Mahi mahi, grouper, arroz con pollo, cuban sandwiches, redfish, alligator tail, shark. These are things we ate that none of my family in the Carolinas had never had or even heared of. We also ate a lot of northeastern type foods. Clam chowder, Philly cheesesteaks. Most of our neighbors were from tri state area, Latin America, other parts of the southeast or Canada. Maybe 1 out of 5 were from Florida. My mother makes a mean alligator gumbo, yes that's a real thing.

Most cities in Florida are very hard to classify as southern because they are true melting pots from all over the world. I have cousins from Miami that look light skin African American but are actually a mix of Jamaican, French Canadian, Seminole, cuban, and southern white and there parents met in New York. Combinations like that are not incredibly unusual down there but sound impossible almost everywhere else. None of my family from Florida, is actually from Florida. Most are not even from the United States and I am white, as are most of them. That is not incredibly abnormal down there.

Last edited by Beardo; 11-29-2016 at 07:45 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 08:30 PM

1,736 posts, read 1,160,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipcat View Post
Indiana has a strong Baptist influence compared to other parts of the Midwest and the Southern parts of the state are similar to Kentucky.
I have often said that indiana is the most northern southern state in the country, its really part of the bible belt not the rust belt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or