U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 04:31 PM

3,267 posts, read 1,647,667 times

Advertisements

Personally, from living in Utah and also the plains states I have always thought Utah has more in common with the Dakotas, Nebraska and Iowa then other western states.

It has a poverty level and demographically is more similar to the plains. It even has a large scandanavian population with lots of Danes and Swedes. It also is far more traditional then other western states and more like the plains with the really close knit-families and introverted friendship networks.

Kentucky when I was there was a bit more Midwestern then I thought. It demographically as a whole is more like West Virginia, Western Pennsylvania, Ohio then the deep south. It also seems to have a lower-birth rate then most of the South. Kentucky also seems to be more fiscally liberal then other southern states and more like a rust-belt Midwestern state.

South Dakota seems like much more a Western State. Very libertarian, much of it is rugged terrain and parts of it are above 7,000 feet elevation. The state seems to be more live and let live and individualistic then the other Dakota also.

North Dakota could easily be annexed by Minnesota in my opinion culturally. It has far more of a close-knit, communal tradition then South Dakota. They like their taxes and spending on North Dakota as long as it is for the public good and they are also bigger on regulation which is more of a Midwestern quality.

South Dakota is more Western (Wyoming, Colorado) and North Dakota is more Midwestern (Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 12:27 PM

21,253 posts, read 30,528,126 times
Florida is an obvious pick given it's largely an aberration socially in comparison to more immediate neighbors like Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and South Carolina.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:26 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,520,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Florida is an obvious pick given it's largely an aberration socially in comparison to more immediate neighbors like Alabama, Georgia, Louisiana and South Carolina.
Truth.

Utah and Florida are the obvious picks the OP is asking about. I can't think of any others actually.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:41 PM

3,981 posts, read 3,519,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Truth.

Utah and Florida are the obvious picks the OP is asking about. I can't think of any others actually.
I'm not sure why you say Utah is, I would disagree. If you're saying this due to its proximity to Colorado, I'd say Colorado is the outlier amongst its region, not Utah.

Old 11-13-2016, 03:49 PM

18,924 posts, read 6,946,571 times
There are two Arizona's these days, Phoenix metro is more similar to California than the rest of the state

Old 11-13-2016, 03:59 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,648,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
To my understanding, Northern Florida is similar to those states.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:02 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,648,892 times
Keep in mind that states vary so much within themselves.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:25 PM

4,558 posts, read 3,674,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There are two Arizona's these days, Phoenix metro is more similar to California than the rest of the state
This. Anywhere outside of the Phoenix metro and it feels quite a bit different. Phoenix is a better match to Las Vegas than it is Tucson. Tucson matching more, err, to cities east of and Phoenix err, west of. Northern Arizona fits in more with Colorado and Utah with many parts of N. AZ being completely dominated by LDS. Though Arizona is considered part of the heart of the Southwest, it's definitely a state that collides with three regions, California, IW, and the SW respectively.

Old 11-13-2016, 04:37 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,520,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
I'm not sure why you say Utah is, I would disagree. If you're saying this due to its proximity to Colorado, I'd say Colorado is the outlier amongst its region, not Utah.
The Mormon majority of Utah I'm sure gives it a unique culture all by itself. I haven't been, but I bet so.

Old 11-13-2016, 06:26 PM

1,293 posts, read 1,134,084 times
Minnesota (esp the twin cities) has a deep liberal streak and a hipster vibe that's largely absent in the other Upper Midwest/Plains states (Dakotas, Iowa, Nebraska). Wisconsin is sort of half Great Lakes/half upper Midwest. Madison has a bit in common culturally with the Twin Cities but is much smaller.

Visitors often say they feel MSP has some Portland/Bay Area aspects that I don't think exist in other parts of the Midwest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or