U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 04:26 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,235,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
NY and Chicago cover all the bases. Miami and Vegas fall short on cheap drinks, but cover the other bases. New Orleans hits everything but variety.
^^This. Everywhere else ranges from decent to below average. Plus most of them have last calls at 2 AM. Based on your location, you have quite a bit within a relatively short drive away or a day trip. Philly is pretty decent. Pittsburgh's Southside has a ton of bars with cheap drinks, but does fall short on variety. Baltimore has a really nice Inner Harbor with a mix of dive bars, tourist traps, trendy places, etc. What's nice about the Northeast in general is the ability to see a lot more than just nightlife.

If you do go to Texas, I wouldn't just go to one city. The best ones for nightlife would be Dallas and Austin. Maybe do one night in each. Austin does well with the cheaper drinks, but Dallas does better with variety. Dirty 6th/West 6th in Austin and Uptown/Deep Ellum in Dallas. You may also want to check out San Antonio as well. Not too far south of Austin and it has a really cool Riverwalk in its Downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 05:44 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I actually do want to visit Baltimore, it's only about 4.5 hours away from me.

As for New Orleans, is Bourbon Street the best place to go?

Yeah I think a last call of 2 would really compromise LA being top tier for nightlife. It means you might not even be able to be any drinks by 1:30!

Thanks for all the suggestions, I've been trying to go to Williamsburg more often. I'm not that familiar with it yet so I was wondering where's a good point to start off assuming I'll be walking after that.

I'm not really into the idea of bottle service clubs so I haven't been interested in Meatpacking. But I should try it out at least once.

I always pass by the Continental and wonder what kind of liqour they would give you for that price. Does 5 shots of anything really mean anything?

And I went to Pianos on a Tuesday and I loved it, packed but no line, loud hip hop music, diverse crowd, etc. But I tried to go on a Friday and inadvertently ruined my Friend's birthday because the line was so damn long and wasn't moving! And then when we finally got in, we couldn't even go upstairs because it was at capacity. It was too late at that point for a plan B. So I'm guessing I should only go to that place on Monday thru Wednesday, on the rare occasion I would have one of those nights off.

It's awesome that you have the privilege to party in your own neighborhood! I live on Long Island and my friends always want to go to Rockville Centre, and I'm really not a fan. There's this one bar in particular they go to that I don't like it all, it's filled with d bags. I'd much rather go to Lower Manhattan or Williamsburg even if it means getting home at 6AM lol.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it! I'll be sure to check out those spots.

Glad to see there are fellow party animals on CD, haha.
Continental is 5 shots of anything for $10 as long as it's the same thing. I usually get Jameson or any random tequila. They also have a 7 shot deal if you buy another drink with it, but I forget exactly how it goes. I usually just get the 5 shot deal. The thing about this bar is that it's not that great of a bar itself. I reccomend going there, getting the shots, and then getting out. It's right in st. Marks so it's surrounded by much better bars.

Williamsburg is lit! I love it. I didn't want to move here at first because of the annoying hipster reputation, but I took a job off of the L train in BK and found a really good deal, so I took it and ended up loving the neighborhood. Williamsburg has some of the best nightlife in all of NYC, and it's not even as hipstery as it used to be. I mean hipsters still definitely love to hang out here, but it has lost its status as hipster capital to Bushwick, BedStuy, crown heights, etc. because it got too expensive and mainstream.

There are also tons of shady warehouse parties in east Williamsburg/Bushwick. I'm not sure if they're 100% legal, but they usually start around 3-4am and go well into the next afternoon, and they keep their bars open the whole time too.

There's also Market hotel in Bushwick which often throws huge 36-hour-long parties. I think they even did a 3 day party one time. It's really great to be able to go party, go home, get some rest, get something to eat, and then rejoin the party the next day!

Honestly, North Brooklyn is where it's at! It gets hipstery, but everybody is young and cool, and you get to meet some really great people at these things.

Old 11-16-2016, 02:44 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,575,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
This sounds a lot like my neighborhood (Williamsburg, Brooklyn). There's a country-themed bar with a mechanical bull, a few blocks from a hip hop club, next door to a hip hop bar, next door to an edm club, with dives and higher-end bars scattered all around them, and much more, all within a few minutes walking distance from each other.

I think walkability and density is important to nightlife too. I love being able to leave my apartment and being able to walk to a bunch of different nightlife spots. Or worst case scenario, a short subway ride to LES, East Village, West Village, Bushwick, Greenpoint, or Meatpacking

I think the sprawly car-centric layout of LA doesn't help with nightlife either. Now that uber exists, it's probably a little easier, but I think a big part of nightlife areas is the pedestrian activity. Also the ability to be able to walk somewhere for late-night drunk munchies is important
The walkability is a huge factor, and NYC having a 24 hour public transit system is a huge plus as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
Continental is 5 shots of anything for $10 as long as it's the same thing. I usually get Jameson or any random tequila. They also have a 7 shot deal if you buy another drink with it, but I forget exactly how it goes. I usually just get the 5 shot deal. The thing about this bar is that it's not that great of a bar itself. I reccomend going there, getting the shots, and then getting out. It's right in st. Marks so it's surrounded by much better bars.

Williamsburg is lit! I love it. I didn't want to move here at first because of the annoying hipster reputation, but I took a job off of the L train in BK and found a really good deal, so I took it and ended up loving the neighborhood. Williamsburg has some of the best nightlife in all of NYC, and it's not even as hipstery as it used to be. I mean hipsters still definitely love to hang out here, but it has lost its status as hipster capital to Bushwick, BedStuy, crown heights, etc. because it got too expensive and mainstream.

There are also tons of shady warehouse parties in east Williamsburg/Bushwick. I'm not sure if they're 100% legal, but they usually start around 3-4am and go well into the next afternoon, and they keep their bars open the whole time too.

There's also Market hotel in Bushwick which often throws huge 36-hour-long parties. I think they even did a 3 day party one time. It's really great to be able to go party, go home, get some rest, get something to eat, and then rejoin the party the next day!

Honestly, North Brooklyn is where it's at! It gets hipstery, but everybody is young and cool, and you get to meet some really great people at these things.
Any places in the EV you would recommend in particular?

Shady warehouse party sounds good lol, although 4 AM is a little late for me to start partying.

I've only been to Williamsburg twice (once on a Monday!) and loved it, unfortunately I don't get out there very often.

I'm open to Bushwick and Greenpoint too, but the latter seems like a pain in the ass to get to. Do these neighborhoods also have good concentrations of
bars?

Have you been to Battery Harris yet? I was gonna go in but the line wasn't moving at all so I left, I'm curious as to how it is.

Last edited by l1995; 11-16-2016 at 03:27 AM..

Old 11-16-2016, 02:51 AM

11,456 posts, read 6,575,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
^^This. Everywhere else ranges from decent to below average. Plus most of them have last calls at 2 AM. Based on your location, you have quite a bit within a relatively short drive away or a day trip. Philly is pretty decent. Pittsburgh's Southside has a ton of bars with cheap drinks, but does fall short on variety. Baltimore has a really nice Inner Harbor with a mix of dive bars, tourist traps, trendy places, etc. What's nice about the Northeast in general is the ability to see a lot more than just nightlife.

If you do go to Texas, I wouldn't just go to one city. The best ones for nightlife would be Dallas and Austin. Maybe do one night in each. Austin does well with the cheaper drinks, but Dallas does better with variety. Dirty 6th/West 6th in Austin and Uptown/Deep Ellum in Dallas. You may also want to check out San Antonio as well. Not too far south of Austin and it has a really cool Riverwalk in its Downtown.
I actually have been to Philly and loved it, and I want to do Baltimore soon. Well maybe when the weather gets a little nicer.

I think if I were to see two cities in Texas in one trip, I'd probably do Austin and San Antonio since they're pretty close. But I'd love to check out Dallas as well.

Old 11-16-2016, 09:44 AM

7,582 posts, read 3,997,005 times
Greenville SC has good nightlife in my view.

Old 11-16-2016, 10:32 AM

29,893 posts, read 27,345,109 times
Lol

Old 11-16-2016, 10:41 AM

6,312 posts, read 6,965,178 times
Quote:
I actually do want to visit Baltimore, it's only about 4.5 hours away from me.
As for New Orleans, is Bourbon Street the best place to go?
No idea. I've only gone "partying" once in NO and I don't remember too much from that weekend. We had a few locals in our group and just followed them around everywhere. I think there's an area outside the French Quarter that has lots of live music venues...good little spot to go as well.

Sounds like you enjoy checking out the scene wherever it might be, not necessarily the best party cities in the country. In that case don't forget all the college towns. I'd guess there are at least 50 mid-to-large college towns that are excellent for one weekend. Generally will be cheap too.

Also places like Atlanta, Tampa, Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc, should all feel cheaper coming from NYC. And I didnt think about it before but since you're up there GO TO MONTREAL!!! Best guys trip destination and right now the CAD is still pretty weak. Seriously. I went for my bachelor party and if I had known better I would have gone every year for the past decade. Too late for me...not for you

Old 11-16-2016, 11:02 AM

12,574 posts, read 15,046,057 times
Las Vegas, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:16 PM

7,699 posts, read 4,557,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
No idea. I've only gone "partying" once in NO and I don't remember too much from that weekend. We had a few locals in our group and just followed them around everywhere. I think there's an area outside the French Quarter that has lots of live music venues...good little spot to go as well.

Sounds like you enjoy checking out the scene wherever it might be, not necessarily the best party cities in the country. In that case don't forget all the college towns. I'd guess there are at least 50 mid-to-large college towns that are excellent for one weekend. Generally will be cheap too.

Also places like Atlanta, Tampa, Dallas, Houston, Austin, etc, should all feel cheaper coming from NYC. And I didnt think about it before but since you're up there GO TO MONTREAL!!! Best guys trip destination and right now the CAD is still pretty weak. Seriously. I went for my bachelor party and if I had known better I would have gone every year for the past decade. Too late for me...not for you
Sounds like Frenchmen St

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.9625...7i13312!8i6656

Old 11-16-2016, 09:05 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,305,291 times
Quote:
The walkability is a huge factor, and NYC having a 24 hour public transit system is a huge plus as well.

Any places in the EV you would recommend in particular?

Shady warehouse party sounds good lol, although 4 AM is a little late for me to start partying.

I've only been to Williamsburg twice (once on a Monday!) and loved it, unfortunately I don't get out there very often.

I'm open to Bushwick and Greenpoint too, but the latter seems like a pain in the ass to get to. Do these neighborhoods also have good concentrations of
bars?

Have you been to Battery Harris yet? I was gonna go in but the line wasn't moving at all so I left, I'm curious as to how it is.
EV is kinda weird because it's not known to have big clubs or typical hot spots like other neighborhoods have. There is Webster Hall though, but I haven't been there since I was underage, and never felt a need to go back, lol.
EV is really all about the small, cheap bars, and the crowds. EV and alphabet city generally attract a lot of really cool + young people. Like I said it's been a while since I've been to EV. Some cool places are:
Nowhere, East village tavern, East village social (I get those 2 mixed up)... uh.... EV is really all about the small bars. Many I can't remember the name of, or never knew. EV is great for barhopping and just going to a bunch of random bars. It's more about the area than the actual bars themselves. Check out St. Marks place, and all the avenues into alphabet city: Like 1st Ave, Ave A, Ave B, and Ave C.
If I'm being honest, all east village bars are kind of the same to me.

There's also Barcade, but I haven't been to the one in St. Marks in a while because they have one in Williamsburg too.

EV also has lots of cool secret bars/speakeasies like: Angels share, death and co, and please don't tell (you enter through a fake phonebooth that is really a trap door of Crifs hot dogs. You have to dial 1, IIRC)
There's also blind barber which is a barber shop in the day and a bar at night.

I had a close friend that lived in EV and we used to go out all the time in the area. Now she lives in Bushwick though. It must've been about a year ago when she left EV... yeah its been a while... too long...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or