U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 04:29 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,578,118 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this thread has been done before, but I'm planning on going on a trip sometime next year with some friends and would like your input.

Late last call, diversity in people and bar type, cheap drinks, and walkability are all pluses to me.

And of course, other things to see in the city for when I'm not partying lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2016, 05:01 PM

2,233 posts, read 1,511,677 times
Tampa, FL. Check out Ybor city on your travels.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:07 PM

7,703 posts, read 4,562,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I'm sure this thread has been done before, but I'm planning on going on a trip sometime next year with some friends and would like your input.

Late last call, diversity in people and bar type, cheap drinks, and walkability are all pluses to me.

And of course, other things to see in the city for when I'm not partying lol.
NY and Chicago cover all the bases. Miami and Vegas fall short on cheap drinks, but cover the other bases. New Orleans hits everything but variety.

Old 11-13-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
NY and Chicago cover all the bases. Miami and Vegas fall short on cheap drinks, but cover the other bases. New Orleans hits everything but variety.
I live in NY and go to Lower Manhattan or Williamsburg whenever I can on weekend nights. I haven't really been anywhere yet where the drinks are cheap, although there's this one place in Williamsburg that sells goblets of Budweiser for 3 dollars.

Overall I love the nightlife here, but I would still love to check out other cities.

As for New Orleans, are you saying that most of the places are kind of the same?

Old 11-13-2016, 06:16 PM

2,113 posts, read 1,306,053 times
Quote:
I live in NY and go to Lower Manhattan or Williamsburg whenever I can on weekend nights. I haven't really been anywhere yet where the drinks are cheap, although there's this one place in Williamsburg that sells goblets of Budweiser for 3 dollars.

Overall I love the nightlife here, but I would still love to check out other cities.

I reccomend VEGAS! As a fellow NYer that has lived in Lower Manhattan and in Williamsburg, I can say that nightlife in Vegas beats NYC! It's lacking a bit on the actual city parts though. Diversity is there though! You will meet people from all over the world. The nightlife areas (strip+downtown) are very walkable and drinking in public is allowed and people are doing it all hours of the day. Oh yeah, and also there's NO LAST CALL If you're looking for another city that has better or equal nightlife than NYC you won't find it anywhere except Miami, Vegas, and New Orleans, none of which are really normal cities though. They are party cities.

As far as prices go, the strip is expensive, but downtown Vegas is very cheap.

Last edited by That_One_Guy; 11-13-2016 at 06:24 PM..

Old 11-13-2016, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
VEGAS! As a fellow NYer that has lived in Lower Manhattan and in Williamsburg, I can say that nightlife in Vegas beats NYC! It's lacking a bit on the actual city parts though. If you're looking for another city that has better or equal nightlife than NYC you won't find it anywhere except Miami, Vegas, and New Orleans, none of which are really normal cities though. They are party cities.

The strip is expensive, but downtown Vegas is very cheap.
Do you mean the downtown of actual Las Vegas as opposed to that strip outside of the city proper?

Have you been to Austin yet? I hear it's pretty cool.

And I could use some recommendations for NYC itself, lol.

Old 11-13-2016, 08:21 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times
NYC, LA, Miami, Vegas and New Orleans are in their own league for partying.

If you're ok with something like Austin (which is certainly pretty good) then there are plenty of other spots that can offer a lot for a short trip without getting redundant.

Trying to think of some other places that you might not have considered...maybe Savannah if it's on one of the weekends where something is happening (which is rather often). Of course housing gets expensive then but still a unique experience akin to New Orleans.

In your neck of the woods I was pleasantly surprised by Baltimore. It's got several good neighborhoods for nightlife all a very short uber ride from each other. Inexpensive compared to going out in DC or NYC.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:43 AM

2,113 posts, read 1,306,053 times
^^^ Idk if I would put LA in the same tier as those other cities, just because the last call is way too early.

Quote:
Do you mean the downtown of actual Las Vegas as opposed to that strip outside of the city proper?

Have you been to Austin yet? I hear it's pretty cool.

And I could use some recommendations for NYC itself, lol.
Yes. Downtown Vegas in the actual city limits, mainly around Fremont street. It's another big nightlife area. It's older and way cheaper than the strip. Some people prefer it to the strip. If you go to Vegas you should definitely check out both.

I've never been to Austin, but I've been hearing good things about Austin too. My roommate is from there and says I would love it.

In Williamsburg some spots I like are:
Baby's all right, Bembe, Kinfolk 94 (not to be confused with Kinfolk 90. They are right next to each other), output, night of joy, and Verboten are my favorite spots.
Note: if you go to output, get list! Output has an expensive cover, but it's really easy to get on list to get in for free. They are also open 24 hours!

Also the new Brooklyn night bazaar just opened in Greenpoint at the Greenpoint avenue G station.
House of Yes in Bushwick is pretty good, but really weird. Like really really weird. I love it though. Every night has a different theme and a COMPLETELY different vibe. Also at the Bushwick/Ridgewood border, Trans Pecos is alright, but it's hit or miss

I went through a Meatpacking phase right when I turned 21. I had a friend that knew a bunch of promoters that used to get us in to all those clubs with tables and bottle service. If Meatpacking/Chelsea area is more your thing, I reccomend:
Le Bain (my favorite), Gansevoort, Phd rooftop at Dream downtown, Up and Down, 1 Oak, Electric room, highline ballroom.

I got tired of Meatpacking though. It's fun and they are probably the hottest clubs in all of NYC there, but it got too pretentious for me after a while.

Oh but there is that new club in Chelsea: Flash Factory. It's electronic/techno club, and the weird thing about this club is that it's all the way in Chelsea, and way up there too at 28th, but it attracts a lot of the Brooklyn crowd. I mean like the people that only go out in BK, and don't like to go to Manhattan. The first time I went I ran into so many people I knew from BK I was really surprised.

East Vilage and LES are pretty good too. There's a bar in st. Marks called Continental that has 5 shots of anything for $10. I like to do that, and then leave and go to a better bar lol. It's a really cheap way to get drunk.

Good spots in this area: Max fish, Pianos, Mercury lounge, Mr. purple, the delancey, ...
... God, now that I think about it, it's been a while since I've been out in LES/East Village area. I was living in lower Manhattan when I was 20/21 then I moved to BK. I just turned 23, and I'm afraid that I've become one of those people that only goes out in Brooklyn anymore. I think I'm overdue for a night out in LES or something.

Old 11-14-2016, 09:58 AM

7,703 posts, read 4,562,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
^^^ Idk if I would put LA in the same tier as those other cities, just because the last call is way too early.

Yes. Downtown Vegas in the actual city limits, mainly around Fremont street. It's another big nightlife area. It's older and way cheaper than the strip. Some people prefer it to the strip. If you go to Vegas you should definitely check out both.

I've never been to Austin, but I've been hearing good things about Austin too. My roommate is from there and says I would love it.

In Williamsburg some spots I like are:
Baby's all right, Bembe, Kinfolk 94 (not to be confused with Kinfolk 90. They are right next to each other), output, night of joy, and Verboten are my favorite spots.
Note: if you go to output, get list! Output has an expensive cover, but it's really easy to get on list to get in for free. They are also open 24 hours!

Also the new Brooklyn night bazaar just opened in Greenpoint at the Greenpoint avenue G station.
House of Yes in Bushwick is pretty good, but really weird. Like really really weird. I love it though. Every night has a different theme and a COMPLETELY different vibe. Also at the Bushwick/Ridgewood border, Trans Pecos is alright, but it's hit or miss

I went through a Meatpacking phase right when I turned 21. I had a friend that knew a bunch of promoters that used to get us in to all those clubs with tables and bottle service. If Meatpacking/Chelsea area is more your thing, I reccomend:
Le Bain (my favorite), Gansevoort, Phd rooftop at Dream downtown, Up and Down, 1 Oak, Electric room, highline ballroom.

I got tired of Meatpacking though. It's fun and they are probably the hottest clubs in all of NYC there, but it got too pretentious for me after a while.

Oh but there is that new club in Chelsea: Flash Factory. It's electronic/techno club, and the weird thing about this club is that it's all the way in Chelsea, and way up there too at 28th, but it attracts a lot of the Brooklyn crowd. I mean like the people that only go out in BK, and don't like to go to Manhattan. The first time I went I ran into so many people I knew from BK I was really surprised.

East Vilage and LES are pretty good too. There's a bar in st. Marks called Continental that has 5 shots of anything for $10. I like to do that, and then leave and go to a better bar lol. It's a really cheap way to get drunk.

Good spots in this area: Max fish, Pianos, Mercury lounge, Mr. purple, the delancey, ...
... God, now that I think about it, it's been a while since I've been out in LES/East Village area. I was living in lower Manhattan when I was 20/21 then I moved to BK. I just turned 23, and I'm afraid that I've become one of those people that only goes out in Brooklyn anymore. I think I'm overdue for a night out in LES or something.

I value this man's opinions on nightlife^^^^^^

Old 11-14-2016, 06:17 PM

432 posts, read 356,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
NYC, LA, Miami, Vegas and New Orleans are in their own league for partying.

If you're ok with something like Austin (which is certainly pretty good) then there are plenty of other spots that can offer a lot for a short trip without getting redundant.

Trying to think of some other places that you might not have considered...maybe Savannah if it's on one of the weekends where something is happening (which is rather often). Of course housing gets expensive then but still a unique experience akin to New Orleans.

In your neck of the woods I was pleasantly surprised by Baltimore. It's got several good neighborhoods for nightlife all a very short uber ride from each other. Inexpensive compared to going out in DC or NYC.
Why are you including LA with these other cities? Chicago should take the spot of LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or