U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 01:58 PM

6,550 posts, read 10,254,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For those that keep recommending TX cities, it's right on par with the FL humidity she's looking to avoid and has around a solid 6 months or so to deal with versus a couple of months in most other cities with four season climates.
Dallas-Fort Worth isn't as humid as Florida, but it's noticeably stickier than where OP's at now.

DFW works if you're not an outdoorsy person and you don't mind living in air conditioning for 1/4 of the year. If you enjoy hiking, biking, and camping forget about it because the Metroplex is an outdoor wasteland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2016, 02:26 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,563,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Dallas-Fort Worth isn't as humid as Florida, but it's noticeably stickier than where OP's at now.

DFW works if you're not an outdoorsy person and you don't mind living in air conditioning for 1/4 of the year. If you enjoy hiking, biking, and camping forget about it because the Metroplex is an outdoor wasteland.
I havent visited dallas as much as austin and houston but I find texas an amazing state for outdoor stuff. My dad used to travel just to hunt and fish there and we took a gorgeous camping trip to big ben, beautiful dark skies and lack of light pollution, horse back riding and some gorgoeus lakes and views. I know dallas has white rock lake katy trail. Its a state with very mild winters and alot of space, I definitely think it would be a great state to cycle.

it produced some of americas best cyclists, Lance Armstrong was raised in plano and chann mcrae raced there, it seems like they would have enormous amount of space for cycling around there

Old 11-15-2016, 02:30 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,563,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
For those that keep recommending TX cities, it's right on par with the FL humidity she's looking to avoid and has around a solid 6 months or so to deal with versus a couple of months in most other cities with four season climates.
I think most people would rather have 2 months of really humid weather, than 4-6 months of cold weather, most of north america has crappy weather. Hard to beat California, but florida (outside of south florida which is brutally humid ), the coastal south, texas, arizona etc are warm at least for the most part in winter and alot of light.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I havent visited dallas as much as austin and houston but I find texas an amazing state for outdoor stuff. My dad used to travel just to hunt and fish there and we took a gorgeous camping trip to big ben, beautiful dark skies and lack of light pollution, horse back riding and some gorgoeus lakes and views. I know dallas has white rock lake katy trail. Its a state with very mild winters and alot of space, I definitely think it would be a great state to cycle.

it produced some of americas best cyclists, Lance Armstrong was raised in plano and chann mcrae raced there, it seems like they would have enormous amount of space for cycling around there
Big Bend IS beautiful, but it's nowhere near DFW. It's a 7-8 hour drive away.

White Rock Lake and the Katy Trail are just ok. They're often crowded and not really all that enjoyable when the weather's hotter than Hades. If a person's moving to Dallas and hoping to find awesome trails they'll be pretty underwhelmed.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:49 PM

23 posts, read 33,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
Tons of californians moving to texas and southwest. I had a house with a pool when I lived in california, I could never afford a house like that now or probably a house at all where I used to live .

A good job in the right area near Austin,Dallas and Houston can get you a house with a pool, some land , and the texas triangle has a phenomenal economy and mild winters. I was just in austin, has tons to do outdoors, beautiful lakes, wine and hill country is near there , great music food and tech scene , big open skies and space and nice and warm this time of the year.Excellent stem and magnet schools and most areas are very safe from what I have seen
, its texas. criminals arent as coddled as they are in california

I also despise dreary, cold weather and winters, its nice and warm there in winter

check out walk score for areas you like https://www.walkscore.com/TX/Austin
Thank you for such a detailed reply! I'll look into it, I've heard Austin is booming!

Old 11-15-2016, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Ski View Post
I was a converted Atlanta fan this summer. I went on a business trip, and right out of the airport, it was nothing but hate coming out of my mouth. By the end of the week, I was finding it harder and harder to be negative. I had so much fun, and it really was a pretty great city. I always have a bad time there say...5 years ago, but it is changing for the better so quickly.

The heat and lack of nearby nature (compared to the west) would keep me from moving there right now, but if the right job offer ever came around, I would probably consider it.
This is great to know! Thanks to you and the original poster. I've never considered Atlanta simply because I've never seen it recommended anywhere.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
maybe the Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex would be a good choice for you,OP
Thank you!

Old 11-15-2016, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnazery View Post
Thank you for such a detailed reply! I'll look into it, I've heard Austin is booming!
Keep in mind Austin is not conservative by any stretch of the imagination. It's one of the most liberal cities in Texas.

Old 11-15-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Phoenix is your best bet, seeing that you don't like humidity. Albuquerque would be another place to try out, because its summers aren't nearly as oppressive as PHX's, and they can get some snow in winter which Im sure your daughter will adore.
I'll look into both. Not many people mention Albequerque so thank you for that.

Old 11-15-2016, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusly View Post
- Suburbs and surrounding communities of any large city in Texas
- Phoenix, but I'm only recommending it because of it's reputation on these forums. (never been there myself)
- Oklahoma City or Tulsa - less "big city" feel than TX, but not enough to feel quaint and isolated in my opinion.
- Kansas, Nebraska, and Iowa could work, but may feel too quaint if you're coming from California.
- Parts of Colorado may still have some cheap spots, but jobs would be a concern.
- I'm tempted to say Salt Lake City by reputation only since I haven't been there either.
Thank you for an entire list! Much appreciated!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or