U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 08:22 PM

23 posts, read 33,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I think most people would rather have 2 months of really humid weather, than 4-6 months of cold weather, most of north america has crappy weather. Hard to beat California, but florida (outside of south florida which is brutally humid ), the coastal south, texas, arizona etc are warm at least for the most part in winter and alot of light.
I'm not sure if it helps anyone, but I did grow up in Fresno heat so triple digit summers. But I know that Fresno wasn't humid. At least nothing to what I experienced in Orlando in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Keep in mind Austin is not conservative by any stretch of the imagination. It's one of the most liberal cities in Texas.
I'll keep that in mind. I don't have a problem with liberals or conservatives, it's just when they try to force it on me that it becomes an issue, which I've experienced where I am currently.

Old 11-16-2016, 01:39 PM

861 posts, read 473,548 times
Look at San Antonio and Amarillo.

San Antonio is huge, but very spread out, so it doesn't feel "big city." Lots of medical positions there.

Amarillo is not near as large, but is the medical center for a tri-state area. Medical is one of the biggest businesses there.

Cost of living in either will beat the snot out of anywhere in CA.

San Antonio is humid at times, but not like Austin or Houston. It's coming down off the Balcones Escarpment, and kind of in a hole, so heat and humidity do tend to settle in parts of town more than others.

Amarillo is not humid. It's at high altitude on what we call the High Plains. Visibility is forever; nicest sun and moon rises and sets I've ever seen on land. Get away from town and you have black, star filled nights to enjoy.

San Antonio has three seasons: hot as Hades, a tad cooler, and right nice.

Amarillo has four distinct seasons. Winters range from flannel shirt cold to put on a snow suit cold, depending upon what blows down from Canada or across the Rockies. Most winters are dry and sunny, though.

The key when moving to Texas is to never, ever compare Texas with California. Texans do not care what gets done or not in California; that state bears no more resemblance to Texas than does New York. When you have to talk about moving from there, phrase it in a way that makes it clear you're happy to have escaped and are willing to adopt Texas customs. That will get you welcomed. Comparing Texas to CA won't.

Good luck in your search. There's a "flyover country" town to fit you somewhere.

Old 11-16-2016, 03:01 PM

163 posts, read 88,225 times
Really anywhere. Almost everywhere is cheaper than where you live and despite what the liberal media or people in California who have probably never even visited anywhere else thinks, America is not a very racist place anymore. I'm living in Des Moines Iowa. I'm paying $650 a month for a nice apartment downtown, and I live within walking distance of hundreds of cultural attractions and restaurants. My building and job is pretty diverse. Everyone gets along fine.
Also it's 65 degrees right now, and will be in the 70s tomorrow. If you can't find a job here, you haven't applied.
There's almost no crime. You can buy a 5 bedroom house in the suburbs on a half acre for 200k

Old 11-16-2016, 10:55 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,889,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
Really anywhere. Almost everywhere is cheaper than where you live and despite what the liberal media or people in California who have probably never even visited anywhere else thinks, America is not a very racist place anymore. I'm living in Des Moines Iowa. I'm paying $650 a month for a nice apartment downtown, and I live within walking distance of hundreds of cultural attractions and restaurants. My building and job is pretty diverse. Everyone gets along fine.
Also it's 65 degrees right now, and will be in the 70s tomorrow. If you can't find a job here, you haven't applied.
There's almost no crime. You can buy a 5 bedroom house in the suburbs on a half acre for 200k
That is abnormally warm for this time of year, Des Moines is normally in the 40's and 50's in November, don't mislead the OP

Old 11-17-2016, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
Look at San Antonio and Amarillo.

San Antonio is huge, but very spread out, so it doesn't feel "big city." Lots of medical positions there.

Amarillo is not near as large, but is the medical center for a tri-state area. Medical is one of the biggest businesses there.

Cost of living in either will beat the snot out of anywhere in CA.

San Antonio is humid at times, but not like Austin or Houston. It's coming down off the Balcones Escarpment, and kind of in a hole, so heat and humidity do tend to settle in parts of town more than others.

Amarillo is not humid. It's at high altitude on what we call the High Plains. Visibility is forever; nicest sun and moon rises and sets I've ever seen on land. Get away from town and you have black, star filled nights to enjoy.

San Antonio has three seasons: hot as Hades, a tad cooler, and right nice.

Amarillo has four distinct seasons. Winters range from flannel shirt cold to put on a snow suit cold, depending upon what blows down from Canada or across the Rockies. Most winters are dry and sunny, though.

The key when moving to Texas is to never, ever compare Texas with California. Texans do not care what gets done or not in California; that state bears no more resemblance to Texas than does New York. When you have to talk about moving from there, phrase it in a way that makes it clear you're happy to have escaped and are willing to adopt Texas customs. That will get you welcomed. Comparing Texas to CA won't.

Good luck in your search. There's a "flyover country" town to fit you somewhere.
That's funny because I was just looking at San Antonio. I'll check out both, thanks for leaving details, I really appreciate that.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
Exactly! I think most people I hear that from probably haven't been outside of California! My babysitter didnleave for Boise Idaho about two years ago. Husband was able to find a job just fine, although I don't remember what he does exactly, and they were living in a nice home.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:21 AM

163 posts, read 88,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnazery View Post
Exactly! I think most people I hear that from probably haven't been outside of California! My babysitter didnleave for Boise Idaho about two years ago. Husband was able to find a job just fine, although I don't remember what he does exactly, and they were living in a nice home.
I read somewhere that Californians as a group are the least traveled Americans. A lot of that has to do with everything being there. You got the beach, mountains, Hollywood, theme parks, major cities, Lake Tahoe, and farmland. There's less motivation to get out and see what else is out there than almost anywhere else.

If you do leave California you will meet other Californians anywhere you go. I've been to about 30 states and lived in 5. I've met Californians almost everywhere I've been, good folks.

Don't sleep on my home state, North Carolina. It's beautiful and we both beaches and mountains too and a pretty big city albeit nothing compared to the LA or Bay Area in Charlotte.

Old 11-17-2016, 10:24 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,240,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Dallas-Fort Worth isn't as humid as Florida, but it's noticeably stickier than where OP's at now.

DFW works if you're not an outdoorsy person and you don't mind living in air conditioning for 1/4 of the year. If you enjoy hiking, biking, and camping forget about it because the Metroplex is an outdoor wasteland.
Biking can definitely be done here! The terrain is not that challenging though so I can see why that could be a minus. But there's plenty of trails.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:15 AM

5 posts, read 11,789 times
You could try looking into Omaha. They (suburbs) have great schools and is somewhat conservative for a mid-sized city. They have a somewhat decent sized health care industry. In the end that might be the deciding factor for you. You could also look into Minneapolis or Pittsburg. I'd also consider Chicago, KC or Cleveland.

Last edited by bmichel5581; 11-17-2016 at 11:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or