Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 12:14 PM

163 posts, read 130,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichel5581 View Post
You could try looking into Omaha. They (suburbs) have great schools and is somewhat conservative for a mid-sized city. They have a somewhat decent sized health care industry. In the end that might be the deciding factor for you. You could also look into Minneapolis or Pittsburg. I'd also consider Chicago, KC or Cleveland.
Omaha is a great town and a lot of California transplants do live there. I know a few and they love it, but understand after living in Cali your whole life the weather anywhere but Hawaii is going to suck to you. You will have to adjust. Me personally I'm from the south and I've lived in the Midwest for 3 years and LOVE the cold and snow, my mother hates it however.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 11:55 PM

23 posts, read 40,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
I read somewhere that Californians as a group are the least traveled Americans. A lot of that has to do with everything being there. You got the beach, mountains, Hollywood, theme parks, major cities, Lake Tahoe, and farmland. There's less motivation to get out and see what else is out there than almost anywhere else.

If you do leave California you will meet other Californians anywhere you go. I've been to about 30 states and lived in 5. I've met Californians almost everywhere I've been, good folks.

Don't sleep on my home state, North Carolina. It's beautiful and we both beaches and mountains too and a pretty big city albeit nothing compared to the LA or Bay Area in Charlotte.
That might be true. I find that most of the people here, from my personal experience, have done more international travel than domestic.

One of the first places I looked into was both North and South Carolina but was unsure of employment there.

Old 11-17-2016, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmichel5581 View Post
You could try looking into Omaha. They (suburbs) have great schools and is somewhat conservative for a mid-sized city. They have a somewhat decent sized health care industry. In the end that might be the deciding factor for you. You could also look into Minneapolis or Pittsburg. I'd also consider Chicago, KC or Cleveland.
Thanks for the list! It would be amazing if my employer implemented work-from-home but until then, employment is definitely an important factor so thank you

Old 11-17-2016, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo View Post
Omaha is a great town and a lot of California transplants do live there. I know a few and they love it, but understand after living in Cali your whole life the weather anywhere but Hawaii is going to suck to you. You will have to adjust. Me personally I'm from the south and I've lived in the Midwest for 3 years and LOVE the cold and snow, my mother hates it however.
Thanks for a second vote on Omaha The weather would definitely be something I would need to adapt to and I am open to sacrificing that since my desires for the other things (low cost living, employment, my daughter) outweigh the weather.

Old 11-18-2016, 12:59 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nnazery View Post
One of the first places I looked into was both North and South Carolina but was unsure of employment there.
Raleigh-Durham NC and Charleston SC are on par with places like Austin or Dallas with similar unemployment rates (around 4%) and a lower cost of living generally speaking.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:11 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,228,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Raleigh-Durham NC and Charleston SC are on par with places like Austin or Dallas with similar unemployment rates (around 4%) and a lower cost of living generally speaking.

Agreed. I moved from Raleigh-Durham, NC a year ago and along with Charlotte, NC and a couple of other NC, SC metros all have great climates and nice people and decent proximity to beach and mountains. Now in Texas which is a very easy to like place and people are winning everywhere. Atlanta and Huntsville also might be worth looking at .

Old 11-18-2016, 02:51 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,005,312 times
I left California back in 2008 for the libertarian paradise of Missouri (I left because of family, not politics). Owned a House by a lake with 1/2 acre of land... I hated living there so much that I returned to California 2.5 years later.

living was cheap, but there is a reason for that.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Thanks, I'll look into those!

Old 11-19-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Agreed. I moved from Raleigh-Durham, NC a year ago and along with Charlotte, NC and a couple of other NC, SC metros all have great climates and nice people and decent proximity to beach and mountains. Now in Texas which is a very easy to like place and people are winning everywhere. Atlanta and Huntsville also might be worth looking at .
I heard of Huntsville too on another thread so I should look into it as well. Thanks!

Old 11-19-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
I left California back in 2008 for the libertarian paradise of Missouri (I left because of family, not politics). Owned a House by a lake with 1/2 acre of land... I hated living there so much that I returned to California 2.5 years later.

living was cheap, but there is a reason for that.
Where did you move back to in California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.