U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 11:34 AM

5,847 posts, read 11,018,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nnazery View Post
Where did you move back to in California?
Huntington Beach
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2016, 04:16 PM

32 posts, read 27,538 times
Quote:
I'm not sure if it helps anyone, but I did grow up in Fresno heat so triple digit summers. But I know that Fresno wasn't humid. At least nothing to what I experienced in Orlando in the summer.
Not sure if you're still reading this, but I was born and raised in Fresno as well, so I can relate to those relentless sweltering summer days. I moved to several other cities in CA as well (Bay Area, Central Coast, Southern California), but after my divorce I decided that I wanted to leave the state altogether. I considered several Southeastern states (GA, NC, SC, and FL), but ultimately decided on NC. It was probably the best move I have made in my life professionally, socially, and academically. While the weather took some getting used to, the South's heat and humidity isn't that bad. In fact, the summers in Fresno were much worse in my opinion. At least here it's green in the summer and not that ugly dead brown color like it is there.

I live in the western part of the state (Asheville), but the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham), the Triad (Winston-Salem/Greensboro), Charlotte, and even Wilmington are all worthy places to live in my opinion. Your best bet to find work would probably be Charlotte or the Triangle area. Not sure about the schools in those areas, but like anywhere else, every area has both good and bad ones. The politics range here from your ultra conservative evangelical types to your bleeding heart liberals with everything in between. It's easy to make a good life here. Good luck.

Old 11-24-2016, 01:56 PM

23 posts, read 33,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimin View Post
Not sure if you're still reading this, but I was born and raised in Fresno as well, so I can relate to those relentless sweltering summer days. I moved to several other cities in CA as well (Bay Area, Central Coast, Southern California), but after my divorce I decided that I wanted to leave the state altogether. I considered several Southeastern states (GA, NC, SC, and FL), but ultimately decided on NC. It was probably the best move I have made in my life professionally, socially, and academically. While the weather took some getting used to, the South's heat and humidity isn't that bad. In fact, the summers in Fresno were much worse in my opinion. At least here it's green in the summer and not that ugly dead brown color like it is there.

I live in the western part of the state (Asheville), but the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham), the Triad (Winston-Salem/Greensboro), Charlotte, and even Wilmington are all worthy places to live in my opinion. Your best bet to find work would probably be Charlotte or the Triangle area. Not sure about the schools in those areas, but like anywhere else, every area has both good and bad ones. The politics range here from your ultra conservative evangelical types to your bleeding heart liberals with everything in between. It's easy to make a good life here. Good luck.
Wow, great to hear from someone who has actually made the move and so happy you're loving it! I'm in the Bay Area now, and although it's better than Fresno, I certainly am paying for it (a lot too)! I'll be looking in both North and South Carolina since I've seen it recommended on other posts as well.

Old 12-30-2016, 07:41 AM

108 posts, read 135,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimin View Post

What's outdoor life like there? Are you getting ate up by bugs where it isn't worth being outside? That's my biggest concern about the southeast.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:19 PM

4,812 posts, read 4,994,656 times
Quote:
Hi,

I've been a long time reader but first time posting! I have been wanting to leave California for the past two years for various reasons I'll be listing below. What I'm hoping to get from you lovely people in your experience leaving California (was it the best choice, would you come back or do you regret it?), your opinions on where may be suitable for us, the process of moving out of state, and the pros and cons of where you moved.

A little background info: I'm born and raised in California. I grew up in the Central Valley for most of my life and went to college in Santa Cruz and later returned (for personal reasons). I currently live in Santa Cruz with my daughter. I have worked 4 years in managed healthcare (3 in credentialing and just got promoted to Business Systems Analyst about 2 months ago). I'm also currently taking courses to get my MPA which will be completed by summer of 2017. My gross income is about $58k per year and I do have student loans that are on the Public Service Forgiveness program.

There are many reasons why I want to leave California. As much as I love the weather and my friends and family (my parents may consider moving out too if they see I make it fine), the cost of living and taxes are just too high. I'm not struggling per se but it seems more and more impossible to own a home here and every time I get a promotion, it seems that most of it is being eaten away by taxes. When I see the cost of everything here, especially property, I'm shocked when I see what it compares to other states. I also seem a bit out of place. I've never had trouble living in Santa Cruz (or getting along with anyone) but I'm a minority with more conservative views and am hoping to raise my daughter someplace that doesn't shove their extreme liberal ideals down your throat (no offense to anyone ).

I haven't jumped ship yet because every time I discuss the potential of moving, everybody talks about it like I'm going to the cuts where everybody is racist (minus NYC) and I'm going to be living in the middle of nowhere. I also started my graduate studies so decided to hold off till after and just save while I can. I'm open to where as long as it's within the continental U.S. and am hoping this will narrow some searches down before I look into visiting, employment listings, etc.

As far as priorities, here's a quick list:
1. Safety
2. Good schools (my daughter is number one priority)
3. Employment
4. Cost of living (I definitely want to own a home with a nice backyard)
5. Close enough proximity to food and shopping but does not need to be downtown or anything

I prefer warmer weather (just not Florida humid) but am willing to sacrifice this if it means getting the above first 4 points. I also don't need to be living hip to hip with my neighbor but wouldn't want to be alone for miles on end either; just something in the middle. I also don't have any close-enough family/friends in other states.

Sorry for such a long initial post, I just figured I throw more info out there to get the best opinions/advice Looking forward to reading all your comments!

nnazery,

In case you don't already know this, everywhere in Texas will be has hot, hotter or more uncomfortable than a Fresno summer.

Do you know about Sacramento, many nice safe suburbs, and neighborhoods within the city. All less expensive than Santa Cruz.

Safe areas in Sacramento: Carmichael, Fair Oaks, East Sac, Curtis Park, Lank Park, South Land Park, Citrus Heights, Davis, West Sac, Woodland, Folsom, Elk Grove, Roseville, parts of Rancho Cordova, Gold River, La Riveria, Rosemont, College Greens, parts of Natomas, parts of Arden-Arcade....all have small to big backyards!

Sacramento summers are cooler than Fresno, obviously not as cool as a Santa Cruz summer, but if you are from Fresno, you will be pleasantly surprised that Sacramento averages 10-15 degrees cooler than Fresno. The biggest difference is in the morning hours up until noon and at night much cooler than Fresno.

Have you thought about the Sacramento Valley towns like Chico and Redding?

Old 12-30-2016, 04:25 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,700,423 times
You could be like everyone else in California and move to either Denver or Phoenix.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:33 PM

6,562 posts, read 3,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Phoenix is your best bet, seeing that you don't like humidity. Albuquerque would be another place to try out, because its summers aren't nearly as oppressive as PHX's, and they can get some snow in winter which Im sure your daughter will adore.
I would recommend Albuquerque based on four season climate, very low humidity -- elevation is about the same as Denver but it's warmer and drier. You will find work in the area and there is a low cost of living. Schools are spotty so you will want to do some research. Like any city, safety isn't an issue if you don't look for trouble or have friends that do. A "nice backyard" is relative...house lots are often small but can still be nice.

Moving out a little will give you some nice options but it might be nice with natural desert landscape. You can get pretty rural within a few miles of town. I have one close neighbor and a couple more within shouting distance and we all have 1/2 to 1+ acres, sage and saltbush, desert cottontails, jackrabbits, quail, roadrunners, lizards and the occasional coyote. Don't let your pets roam free if you live very far out. East Mountains (Edgewood, Cedar Crest) is really a different cooler climate, higher, more heavily forested and it used to be less expensive...maybe still is. Where you find work will make a difference in commute times because of bridge traffic -- live on the same side of the river as your work.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:55 PM

6,961 posts, read 14,091,290 times
Austin and Raleigh-Durham have been mentioned, but they're definitely liberal. No doubt about that. Not even moderate. Definitely liberal unless you go further into the suburbs. But the more urban inner neighborhoods are liberal.

In Phoenix, you wouldn't feel out of place. Lots of Californians moving there for cheaper housing every day basically. Same with Las Vegas and I'd even look at Reno.

If you wanna try something totally different and not follow every Californian, I would suggest as another poster said Oklahoma City and Tulsa. Tornadoes and some snow are a thing, but they're not exactly snowy cities and they're not as hot and humid as many Texas and Florida cities.

While many places in the South can be hot and humid, they'll still never come close to Florida or Texas. So I'd also recommend Birmingham, AL and Columbia, SC. Idk enough about Albuquerque, but that could work too. I wouldn't go further north than Tennessee really because then winters start getting much worse. If you're ok with winter, though, Indianapolis is one of the most solidly Republican major metropolitan areas in America, has one of the lowest cost of living in the entire country, and one of the strongest job markets in the entire country.

Old 03-19-2018, 10:23 PM

23 posts, read 102,705 times
Boise, ID or Utah. You've got the even four seasons without the humidity. The mountains and outdoorsy stuff. It's safe and affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or