U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-30-2007, 02:09 AM

989 posts, read 3,846,702 times
I like this thread. In general places either with good planning or spread out/rural places are slow paced. Also, southern US(places like San Diego, Jacksonville, Denver, Palm Beach) are in general less hectic than the northeast.

Look for newly built (well-planned) areas such as Fort Collins, CO, Orange County, CA, and The Woodlands, TX.

The faster you live, the faster you will die.

It's called heart disease, my friend!(see article)
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...v23/ai_8082749

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 01-30-2007 at 02:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-30-2007, 07:40 AM

1,560 posts, read 4,737,358 times
A slow pace for life can be found anywhere. You just have to work at it... I've lived and worked in everything from metropolitan cities, such as Jacksonville, Atlanta, and Dallas, down to Milford, TX (pop 685), with plenty of time in everything in between.

In the big cities traffic is always the big killer of time. But at least there's plenty to do for fun. You have professional and amateur sports, shows, movies, museums, and shopping out the wazoo. Of course the new "hip" mall is either (mentally) a hundred miles away or right out side your neighborhood, neither of which is really all that great for you. And then there are those neighborhoods and areas of town that no one talks about, except on the evening news.

But, small town America, has it's own issues. While I was living in Milford I was in the Men's group at church, taught Sunday School, was on the School Board, coached my son's baseball team, had two girls in two different softball teams, was on the Volunteer Fire Department, and was going to school in the evenings, and in my spare time I worked my 40 hours a week. Add to that, the nearest Catholic church was 10 miles away, as was the nearest basic shopping. We did have a string of fast food, a Dollar General and a lumber yard that was 7 miles away. But the nearest chain restaurant was closer to 20 miles away and that nearest mall was 54 miles away, forget about the shiny new "hip" mall. So even with the small town life, traffic was still the killer.

My point is, (I know you've all been waiting for this,) a slow paced life is a mindset, not a location. Yes. Some locations are more conducive to that style of life, but you ultimately set the pace of your own life.

Unread 01-30-2007, 08:16 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,071,991 times
GoPadge - I agree with you. I've lived in Chicago pretty much all of my adult life (and grew up just a few miles south of the city) and refuse to join the rat race that I see more than a few people running. I chose a career and a locale that facilitated that. No I don't make as much money, I rent a small apartment, and don't own a car (taking the train 3 miles to work) instead of owning and commuting hours each way (leaving me time to spend time with my friends, take classes, and volunteer because i'm not spending all my time and money commuting or trying to maintain large property). I do realize that some locals pressure those into high paced lifestyles moreso that other places, but I've known type-a high pressure southerners and laid-back slow moving new yorkers (my grandfather being one of them), it is personal choice.

Unread 01-30-2007, 01:01 PM

669 posts, read 2,122,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I don't think anywhere is truly "slow-paced" anymore in this era of cell phones, iPods, OnStar, committee commitments, expectations of "instant" service, working two jobs, etc.! Even here in my native Scranton (with a very modest metro population of around 600,000), I find people weaving in and out of traffic on I-81 and the Cross Valley Freeway, blaring their horns, tailgating, knocking each other over in big-box stores, becoming irate if they're even just the third person in line at the grocery store, etc.

P.S. May I inquire about your user name? Wall Street West, is a term being tossed around heavily in Scranton right now as Manhattan-based firms are seeking to locate satellite offices in the Scranton/Pocono metro in the event of another terrorist attack in NYC. Also, I was born in 1986, so if that's the case with you as well, then it's finally nice to find a fellow peer on here as opposed to the throngs of 45-year-old, borderline "mid-life crisis" people that seem to dominate on here! LOL!

By the way, don't go into law simply because the "salary is attractive." I'm currently majoring in Accounting and Finance simply because I wanted to start out earning a decent $55,000 or so starting salary in NJ so I could jump-start my real estate flipping business in Scranton. I'm now finding that preparing financial statements and analyzing trends amongst them through the usage of various ratios isn't exactly quite as "exciting" as I'd hoped it would be. It's just that after several years of working outdoors at a low-paying, dirty, rough job, I thought to myself "I need to be in an office setting!" Now, I'm not so sure if I'm happy I made the move into Accounting. Since I'm already nearly halfway through college, I really don't want to anger my parents by switching majors to urban planning (my true passion), as that would require me to relocate and start fresh from square one, so now I'm stuck in a career that I chose simply because there are high-paying opportunities in the field within a 90-minute commute of Scranton via the Morristown area of NJ. (Whereas there are no opportunities for urban planners in my part of PA) I'll get off my soapbox now; just make sure that you're passionate about law and not just doing it for that "six-figure salary." What good is a high salary if you're miserable? Now, I'm beginning to realize that I'd rather earn an abysmal $20,000 salary in a field I love just so I could stay in Scranton and be happier as opposed to commuting three hours daily round-trip to chase the "Joisey Money", as my fellow local commuters call it. (Perhaps tele-commuting via my laptop would be an option?) Better yet, why doesn't Scranton attract some f*&&*#&#&! college-level career opportunities so we don't all have to work for either Wal-Mart or Burger King or commute 90 minutes! LOL!

Best of luck to you!
Very good post.

I'm sorry you didn't follow your passion. That is the #1 thing to do when considering a career. You should really "go through the hassle" of switching majors and do what makes you happy. Accounting is dreadfully boring at times and causes a lot of headaches -- well, IMO anyway.

Besides, I don't think urban planners earn as low as $20k. I would imagine it's much higher.

Consider this though, the average salary for a person is what, $40k? And most people are happy with that. If you're at least making $30k, that's definetly acceptable IMO and earns a good living, as long as you aren't a ridiculous spender.

Unread 01-30-2007, 01:23 PM

217 posts, read 535,486 times
I agree, this is a good thread. I currently reside in the New York area and lived here most of my life. Indeed NY is a magnet for type-A's and is a very fast paced city, but I myself maintain a very laid back attitude and do not allow myself get eaten up by the woes of success fanatics. It is true you set your own pace no matter where you live. And actually the most successful people are the ones that move on their own ideas/ time not culture's time. "Slow and steady wins the race,"is the key out of the rat race." Focus, control and balance coupled with logic works for me anywhere. I'm not a type A

Unread 01-30-2007, 03:14 PM

2,920 posts, read 3,080,804 times
Default You might want to move

to Birmingham! "Alabama?" you say? The home of rednecks, hillbillies, broken down cars and fat people? Not quite. Birmingham's a city of about Louisville's size with a ton of white collar jobs... major banking/financial center for the southeast and more law firms than you can shake a smoldering shovel at. Former declining steel town is now a healthy-sized metro with a strong, increasingly white-collar economy, warm weather, low unemployment, beautiful topography, and a much slower pace of living than Chicago or Philadelphia... also very conservative in the suburbs, which would be a plus for you, although I'm pretty liberal myself. Low cost of living, wide variety of housing options, a number of high-ranked public school systems, decent (but not spectacular) nightlife, and dining that ranges everywhere from Alabama-style barbeque to high-end establishments that get exposure on national/worldwide "best restaurant" lists... Birmingham has it's problems as well (de-facto segregation about to the extent of most other mid-sized cities, inner-city urban blight, ineffective political leadership, etc.) but it might be a good choice for you.

Other southern cities like Nashville & Charlotte would also probably fit your criteria... just make sure you bring a car if you come to the south because public transportation's nearly nonexistent.

Unread 01-31-2007, 11:07 AM

29 posts, read 70,502 times
hello there..how about Tennesse/kentucky/missouri..eastern to mid-state areas!! Good luck now....

Unread 01-31-2007, 11:51 AM

2,803 posts, read 6,515,920 times
Last time I did the North-South trip I stayed just outside Savannah in the southern burbs along the water. Prices weren't bad at all for nice homes. All in all I think Savannah is underrated. They have a lot of parks, cute B&B's, and the cobblestone streets and restaurants along the river downtown are charming. It's smaller than Charlestown and slower paced.

Unread 01-31-2007, 02:10 PM

750 posts, read 1,797,884 times
Default Two words...

New Mexico. Also known as the "Land of Mañana".

If you're aiming for a higher salary in the legal field, you'll want to focus on Albuquerque or Santa Fe.

Chap

Unread 02-07-2007, 03:19 PM

414 posts, read 1,843,568 times
Hey thanks guys i have decided on my law schools--

U Mississippi
mississippi college of law
Samford (has a CPA program too for doing tax law, top choice)
U South Carolina
Barry backup in Orlando
Penn State

Looked into it and the deep south really looks like the best place for me. Economy is getting healthier there with insourcing and retirees, new boom, great steady cost of living, plenty of small cities towns and nature, friendly and conservative people, nice climate, and lots of beautiful historic houses and places. Its a nice standard of living and as laid back or pleasant as you want I think. If i dont get into law school i m thinking of becoming a Navy or Army officer. Also looking at the IRS or some corporate-manufacturing firms particularly in the MS, Alabama, SC, southern Georgia area.

I love that people get the wrong idea about the south keeps it nice at least to the right people. Yeah I have been to SC and coastal NC (outside of Obx) and really like it. You couldnt get me farther away from taking a big city job after I graduate. I went down to Chicago to visit my grandma for dinner etc last night and it feels like one big giant trap.

The drive from Chicago took me from 7:30 am to 9:15 am to go 30 miles up to the northern burbs. Reverse commute looked even worse. Can you say heart disease? Most of the burbs here are so dense its totally unpleasant. Wish me luck all on the LSAT and thanks for your input. Fingers crossed on Samford, Birmingham looks pretty cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.