U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 07:55 PM

2,553 posts, read 1,649,701 times

Advertisements

Portland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 08:22 PM

59 posts, read 47,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskywalker View Post
Is detroit pretty? Community feel?

Old 11-17-2016, 08:26 PM

6,016 posts, read 6,384,591 times
An affordable tech job center is somewhat of an oxymoron these days. KC has some tech presence and was the pilot city for Google Fiber. It's affordable but scenery isn't that great and the suburbs are mostly conservative though there are family friendly liberal parts of the city like Brookside, Waldo, and the Plaza. We have four seasons and summer is the longest and most uncomfortable. Spring and fall are very pleasant most years and winters are very mild for the Midwest.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:54 AM

59 posts, read 47,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Portland
Probably too gloomy for me. And perhaps a bit too hipster versus liberal/progressive, although I may be stereotyping.

I should have added "sunny" to my want list

Old 11-18-2016, 07:56 AM

6,569 posts, read 10,299,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktgrok View Post
Probably too gloomy for me. And perhaps a bit too hipster versus liberal/progressive, although I may be stereotyping.

I should have added "sunny" to my want list
That eliminates a large swath of the upper midwest and Great Lakes Region. Places like Buffalo, Columbus, and Detroit have below-average sunshine for a large portion of the year.

Compared to Florida, Denver's not a low COL city, but if you can secure enough income to keep pace with the COL then your QOL will be hard to beat. I did my sentence in the Sun Belt (Dallas-Fort Worth), and have zero desire to go back. There's more to life than a big house and shopping.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:26 AM

21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Quote:
Looking for a fairly progressive/liberal environment, with a decent number of tech jobs, that has affordable housing where a family can live on one income, and is pretty. Preferably 4 real seasons, as we're coming from Florida and would like our kids to get to see seasons

So far, Durham, NC and surrounding are is my best find. Anywhere else I'm missing?
You nailed it with Durham (or neighboring Carrboro especially) in my opinion as it's quite liberal/progressive (like west coast level), has very affordable housing in desirable neighborhoods with excellent schools (Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public Schools), an amazing food/dining scene for it's size, 4 real seasons and lots of tech jobs at RTP in Durham as well at universities like Duke or UNC. I lived in the area for 7 years (also from Florida) and found the quality of life the best I've experienced after living in other areas up/down the east coast.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:37 AM

3,085 posts, read 2,132,133 times
Quote:
Looking for a fairly progressive/liberal environment, with a decent number of tech jobs, that has affordable housing where a family can live on one income, and is pretty. Preferably 4 real seasons, as we're coming from Florida and would like our kids to get to see seasons

So far, Durham, NC and surrounding are is my best find. Anywhere else I'm missing?
Unfortunately when you find a progressive environment, decent tech jobs, attractive area with mild weather a four seasons, it tends to rapidly attract throngs of people that tends to really drive up cost of living.

Case in point, California used to be an inexpensive place to live.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:46 AM

56,762 posts, read 81,102,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You nailed it with Durham (or neighboring Carrboro especially) in my opinion as it's quite liberal/progressive (like west coast level), has very affordable housing in desirable neighborhoods with excellent schools (Chapel Hill-Carrboro Public Schools), an amazing food/dining scene for it's size, 4 real seasons and lots of tech jobs at RTP in Durham as well at universities like Duke or UNC. I lived in the area for 7 years (also from Florida) and found the quality of life the best I've experienced after living in other areas up/down the east coast.
I know that this is relative, but isn't housing pricy in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area? To be fair, I believe that pay is relatively good in that part of the Triangle though.

OP, this may help give a general idea in terms of housing costs: Metropolitan Median Area Prices and Affordability | realtor.org

Old 11-18-2016, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCHP View Post
Unfortunately when you find a progressive environment, decent tech jobs, attractive area with mild weather a four seasons, it tends to rapidly attract throngs of people that tends to really drive up cost of living.

Case in point, California used to be an inexpensive place to live.
I agree, however the Durham area while having gone up has maintained affordability via well paying jobs in general, with an average entry level IT income of around 70K (experienced/mgmt much higher) and average home prices around 200K.

Old 11-18-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know that this is relative, but isn't housing pricey in the Chapel Hill-Carrboro area? To be fair, I believe that pay is relatively good in that part of the Triangle though.
Chapel Hill-Carrboro average home prices tick up quite a bit to around 340K on average which is due to the excellence of the schools, though shouldn't be an issue with a well-paying tech job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or