U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2016, 08:37 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,430,940 times

Advertisements

I've lived in both philly and Minneapolis and philly was definitely friendlier.

I did make really good friendships in the cities and found many friendly people, but a whole bunch of people were very isolated and standoffish. Very guarded and conversations and interactions were at a very superficial level.

In Philly people are just more direct and open. This may lead to some interactions with a jerk or you may find yourself in conversation with someone who is nuts, but the best majority of the time you can have some fun interactions. I had great conversations waiting for the bus, walking down the street, at any bar or restaurant. People will hold doors and typically have at least a little awareness of their surroundings. Sporting events were an exception in that your interactions would be more varied and probably more extreme in each direction
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2016, 09:10 AM

3,597 posts, read 1,529,535 times
Rochester, NY and Harrisburg, PA

Old 11-22-2016, 10:42 AM

469 posts, read 669,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I've lived in both philly and Minneapolis and philly was definitely friendlier.

I did make really good friendships in the cities and found many friendly people, but a whole bunch of people were very isolated and standoffish. Very guarded and conversations and interactions were at a very superficial level.

In Philly people are just more direct and open. This may lead to some interactions with a jerk or you may find yourself in conversation with someone who is nuts, but the best majority of the time you can have some fun interactions. I had great conversations waiting for the bus, walking down the street, at any bar or restaurant. People will hold doors and typically have at least a little awareness of their surroundings. Sporting events were an exception in that your interactions would be more varied and probably more extreme in each direction
Thanks for elaborating. Sporting events are probably where I got the impression Philly people weren't friendly.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:44 AM

469 posts, read 669,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Rochester, NY and Harrisburg, PA
Can you tell me anything more about Harrisburg? It's one of the places I've been looking at, although I've never been there.

Old 11-22-2016, 10:45 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,633,586 times
Omaha, Nebraska in my opinion has extremely friendly, polite and good people for the most part.

I think it's the friendliest city I ever have been in. The people there are extremely unpretentious also in Omaha.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:24 PM

1,224 posts, read 581,166 times
Rochester, NY is definitely a cheerful pretty outgoing town. I'm from a major city in the Southeast and Western NY is much friendlier than my city.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:59 PM

380 posts, read 405,500 times
Indianapolis, hands down! It is the most southern city culturally and politically in the Midwest. That is just my opinion.

I never thought Rochester, NY to be friendly.

Does anyone know about the friendliness in Colorado and Kansas City, Missouri?

Old 11-22-2016, 02:05 PM

4,099 posts, read 4,735,887 times
Damn, most of the cities I really have experience in are at the 50,000 and down population mark. However...

I have to say that Columbus, Ohio is really pretty comfy, unless you have an unpopular opinion near the college. WOOF it gets mean fast around the wrong people.

Pittsburgh has a fair attitude except on the road. Driving there is very aggressive.

Rochester, NY is a lot like Columbus. Nice unless you have an unpopular opinion around young college people.

I haven't been to Indianapolis since I was a kid so I can't recall it well enough. However, Detroit was a lot nicer than people think. Not in terms of condition but in terms of personality. There are a lot of good people in Detroit.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:21 PM

6,855 posts, read 7,802,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
Sporting events are probably where I got the impression Philly people weren't friendly.
We're friendly to one another. Just not our opponents.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:57 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Damn, most of the cities I really have experience in are at the 50,000 and down population mark. However...
It's where I have found the friendliest people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or