Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 03:33 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times

Advertisements

DFW seemed to be really split, with Dallas going blue and Ft Worth going red.

Norfolk went blue. VA Beach went red.

Pittsburgh and Allegheny county went blue, and every other county in the MSA went red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2016, 03:37 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,694,435 times
Pittsburgh was pretty damn divided. I would say Allegheny County probably has half of the Pittsburgh MSA population and it went blue. Every county surrounding Allegheny went red. It was probably nearly 50/50.

Philadelphia and the surrounding area went mostly blue, with only a handful of the surrounding counties going red.

Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware, Chester, New Castle, Burlington, Camden, Cumberland and Atlantic Counties went Blue.

Berks, Kent, Cecil, Gloucester, Salem and Cape May counties went red.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:42 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,960,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RightonWalnut View Post
Pittsburgh was pretty damn divided. I would say Allegheny County probably has half of the Pittsburgh MSA population and it went blue. Every county surrounding Allegheny went red. It was probably nearly 50/50.

Philadelphia and the surrounding area went mostly blue, with only a handful of the surrounding counties going red.

Philadelphia, Bucks, Montgomery, Delaware, Chester, New Castle, Burlington, Camden, Cumberland and Atlantic Counties went Blue.

Berks, Kent, Cecil, Gloucester, Salem and Cape May counties went red.
It's not a feeds into what I've been saying about Pittsburgh's real metro region not extending more than a few miles beyond the Allegheny County border. Things get dramatically different, in short order.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:09 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
DFW seemed to be really split, with Dallas going blue and Ft Worth going red.
This has been true since 2008 for Dallas County as a whole, with 2004 almost 50/50 for Bush and Kerry. The city of Dallas has been blue for longer than that time. There's definitely a trend of purple in Tarrant County (Fort Worth), so it will be interesting to see if it becomes blue by at least 2024.

Presidential Election Results by County: Texas | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Looks like Tarrant County went 52% Trump, 43% Clinton, which is about the average for Texas as a whole.

Dallas County went 61% Clinton, 35% Trump.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:11 PM

2,134 posts, read 2,116,926 times
Quote:
It's not a feeds into what I've been saying about Pittsburgh's real metro region not extending more than a few miles beyond the Allegheny County border. Things get dramatically different, in short order.
The city of Dallas and parts of Dallas County have that same phenomenon happening.

Old 11-09-2016, 04:49 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
The counties weren't very varied in DFW. That said, taking into account the five main counties (Collin, Dallas, Denton, Rockwall, and Tarrant), which combines form about 89% of the total metro population, the vote was pretty even. Trump and Clinton got 1,005,514 and 1,006,316 votes, respectively, a difference of 00.04 percentage points.

EDIT: Wanted to mentioned, Fort Worth must be among the largest Republican cities in the nation. Fort Worth is the center of a metro of about 2.5 Million people, but Tarrant County seems just as red as Texas as a whole.

Old 11-10-2016, 09:40 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
Franklin County, the core county of Columbus and its immediate suburbs went blue, every other county in the metro went red. I believe Franklin County itself was around 60%+ for Clinton.

Old 11-11-2016, 07:37 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,669,482 times
Depends on how were talking divided, because I didn't look at overall metros, only main counties, which of course can throw off results. Erie County (Buffalo) came in at 50-45 Clinton and I believe a number of counties surrounding it went red. San Diego county (56-39 is surprisingly moderate, being in California and all). Tampa Bay is also pretty moderate, with Hillsborough going 51-45 for Clinton and Pinellas actually going 48-47 for Trump (outlying counties were obviously Trump). Houston is reasonably moderate with 54-42 and outlying counties balancing that. Likewise for Las Vegas, Cincinnati, San Antonio. Counties of major cities where Hillary received less than half the vote included Phoenix (big county though), Oklahoma City, Jacksonville, Salt Lake City (she received a greater portion of the vote, but less than half because of the other guy out there), and perhaps 1-2 others I can't think of right now.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:45 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,738,907 times
Quote:
Pittsburgh and Allegheny County went blue, and every other county in the MSA went red.
Also interesting to note is that Allegheny County moved farther to the left, while the outer metropolitan counties all moved farther to the right. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that Pittsburgh is a very bifurcated metropolitan area.

Old 11-11-2016, 08:53 AM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Also interesting to note is that Allegheny County moved farther to the left, while the outer metropolitan counties all moved farther to the right. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say that Pittsburgh is a very bifurcated metropolitan area.
Allegheny County didn't really go farther to the left. Clinton won a slightly lower share of the vote than Obama did.

Some of the Philadelphia suburbs did move farther left. Clinton did 3 percentage points better in Chester County than Obama did and two points better in Montgomery County. She slightly underperformed Obama in Bucks and Delaware (1 point).

This election essentially solidified that Pennsylvania is more Midwestern in character than many want to acknowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.