U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 04:29 PM

6,015 posts, read 6,360,515 times

Advertisements

Arkansas for sure. People in Texas know about the Ouachita and Boston ranges because if you're in the eastern part of Texas (Dallas, Houston) those are the nearest mountains. But nationally it flies under the radar and I think most would be surprised at how much natural beauty is in that state. It's actually a very popular state for backpackers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 04:47 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,633,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Also AZ I think. People outside the West think it's just desert and rock and retirees. But the northern half of the state looks and feels like Colorado. Heck Flagstaff may be the highest elevation 'minor' sized city in the country. Prescott, Jerome, Sedona, the White Mountains. Even Tucson.
I can't speak on how non-southwesterners see our region but I'd argue New Mexico is even more underrated. Very beautiful state. Arizona has one of the wonders of the world, saguaros, albeit a few other things which puts it on the radar. Yes most people don't know that places like Flagstaff or Sedona exist in our state, especially Flag which is a very liberal mountain town even higher than Denver with the highest snowfall out of any "city" in the United States (there are probably towns with more snow). But when I went on vacation to New Mexico I was sort of surprised to see it. Its very underrated I think across the board to everyone. But because of that, it may not apply here because Arizonans generally don't think twice about New Mexico.

Old 11-21-2016, 04:53 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times
Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Tennessee and North Carolina.

Utah.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:02 PM

679 posts, read 462,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
Maybe Vermont? Within the Northeast in general and New England specifically, it's thought of very highly as an idyllic destination full of charming small towns, beautiful landscapes, great food, the best skiing east of the Mississippi and a unique, laid-back culture. But people I've talked to outside the Northeast seem to think it's this insignificant rural state with nothing going on. Back in the '80s, when Newhart was a hit show set in Vermont, more people around the country may have shared the common regional view, but that was a long time ago.
I would say Rhode Island. Vermont is famous nationally for its mountains and spectacular fall scenery, and way of life.
Most New Englanders know about how spectacular the RI coast is, (one of the few places on the East Coast with sea cliffs) but I don't think the rest of the country gives it a thought. Heck, most people think it's part of New York (Long Island I guess they're thinking of) I think Providence has been getting more national attention over the years, and Newport was always famous, but other than that most people don't think much of lil RI, which in a way, I'm kinda grateful for. lol.
I've lived in a few different places ... it was nice to come back to Lil Rhodey

I like being tucked away in my little corner of the country. Especially these days lol

Old 11-21-2016, 06:21 PM

3,539 posts, read 1,513,328 times
Quote:
Minnesota. Nationally people think it's a barren snowscape all year long. Regionally it's similar to the OPs comments about Michigan. Lakes, forest, prairie grassland, actual rocky cliffs and the Superior shoreline and Boundary Waters are national treasures.

Also the Twin Cities is one of the best metro areas in the country but nationally it gets lumped in with all the other midwestern mid-sized metros.
I live in the South and personally have a very high opinion of MN. Very beautiful state!

Old 11-21-2016, 06:24 PM

3,539 posts, read 1,513,328 times
I think I'd have to say South Carolina. Doesn't seem to have a great rep nationally, but those of us who are close enough to visit regularly know it's a great state in many ways, especially the coast and upstate.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:52 PM

17,653 posts, read 4,055,214 times
Quote:
Also AZ I think. People outside the West think it's just desert and rock and retirees. But the northern half of the state looks and feels like Colorado. Heck Flagstaff may be the highest elevation 'minor' sized city in the country. Prescott, Jerome, Sedona, the White Mountains. Even Tucson.
I agree that Arizona is underrated.I was very impressed when I visited the Grand Canyon State.

Old 11-21-2016, 06:55 PM

17,653 posts, read 4,055,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
I can't speak on how non-southwesterners see our region but I'd argue New Mexico is even more underrated. Very beautiful state. Arizona has one of the wonders of the world, saguaros, albeit a few other things which puts it on the radar. Yes most people don't know that places like Flagstaff or Sedona exist in our state, especially Flag which is a very liberal mountain town even higher than Denver with the highest snowfall out of any "city" in the United States (there are probably towns with more snow). But when I went on vacation to New Mexico I was sort of surprised to see it. Its very underrated I think across the board to everyone. But because of that, it may not apply here because Arizonans generally don't think twice about New Mexico.
I am impressed by the Land of Enchantment as well.I think it is very underrated nationally.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:02 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,492,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Arkansas for sure. People in Texas know about the Ouachita and Boston ranges because if you're in the eastern part of Texas (Dallas, Houston) those are the nearest mountains. But nationally it flies under the radar and I think most would be surprised at how much natural beauty is in that state. It's actually a very popular state for backpackers.
I agree with you on Arkansas. I went there last year and really had no opinion or expectations of it..perhaps thinking it was a bit barren with farms and kind of boring. Boy was I wrong. I thought that Northern Arkansas was absolutely stunning and beautiful. It was great to go somewhere that far exceeded my expectations.

Old 11-22-2016, 09:42 AM

7,131 posts, read 9,898,127 times
Of the states mentioned so far:

I agree that New Jersey, Delaware, Arkansas and Tennessee are underrated.

Michigan and Wisconsin are also underrated as is Minnesota to a lesser degree.

South Carolina is underrated in a historical sense, South Carolina was once the leader of the Deep South before the Civil War, now she seems overshadowed by nearby states like North Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

North Carolina and Vermont are NOT underrated, at least by the perspective of this New Yorker. I hear North Carolina being mentioned a lot. And I would say Vermont gets a lot of attention when you consider her very small size and population.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or