U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 04:55 PM

2,985 posts, read 2,140,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I agree that Arkansas is underrated.Many people possibly think of that state as being backwoods and full of hillbillies everywhere.I went to Northwest Arkansas and I was shocked by how cosmopolitan it was.
Yeah, I totally agree with what you said there. I think Arkansas is probably the most under rated state in the nation. I don't know of any other state whose out-of-state image and reputation is based on so many negative misconceptions by people who have never been there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 08:50 PM

17,670 posts, read 4,066,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
Yeah, I totally agree with what you said there. I think Arkansas is probably the most under rated state in the nation. I don't know of any other state whose out-of-state image and reputation is based on so many negative misconceptions by people who have never been there.
Thanks Ivory.I appreciate it.

Old 12-04-2016, 06:44 PM

I know Oklahoma does not have the best reputation where I live but I think Oklahoma is underrated on a national level.

Old 12-04-2016, 07:53 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
Quote:
How do you think its overrated,Prickly Pear?
Are you serious? It's Texas.... one of the largest states in our union, also one of our most populated... To be underrated it needs to be relatively unknown. I can't tell you how many Texans are proud about Texas. They let you know how much they love Texas. It's Texas this, Texas that. Texas is pretty much its own region, it was its own country, I can tell you people across the globe know about Texas, New York, California... what about Wyoming or Arkansas? Do you think foreigners know about those states?

It's like saying California is underrated. California and Texas to me share a similar dynamic in the sense that they are large behemoths that influence everything around them. I say this as someone who literally lives halfway between San Diego and El Paso.

The point is is that when a large portion of our population is Texans, Californians, Floridians, New Yorkers, there is no physical way that those areas can EVER be underrated. That would require them being relatively unknown, "undiscovered" which is impossible with large amounts of people.

I'll give an example with my state. Arizona is a very large and diverse state. For the couple decades I've been around living here I would visit Antelope Canyon every once in a while. It's a beautiful what looks to be a small crack on the surface but a huge canyon down below in the ground. It's quite lengthy. Years ago no one knew about it. I remember going there in the early 2000s. It would practically be deserted. It wasn't until the past rather three years or so give or take I have seen Antelope Canyon get media attention and people posting about it as if it's this new thing. Antelope Canyon has always been around but if there wasn't a large, populated city relatively near by (Phoenix) in the same state I'd argue Antelope Canyon would have ever been "discovered" in the sense of being a popular tourist destination. And people tend to learn about their state the longer they live there. I know more about places near Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon than I do a few hours east in New Mexico because it's my state, the other one isn't.

If Antelope Canyon was a couple hours west and in Nevada I'd argue it would be very less known due to the fact that Nevada has significantly less people than Arizona.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:23 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,970,765 times
Without any doubt Michigan. For people outside of the region they think Michigan is just Flint and Detroit. There is a lot more too it. The UP is paradise and the west coast of the LP is really nice.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:43 PM

6,561 posts, read 3,659,218 times
Quote:
I think the coast of Texas is underrated.
I might agree with that observation although it has been a long time since I visited. I enjoyed Padre Island National Seashore and hope it hasn't changed in the decades since I was there. You have to go through the rest of Texas to get there.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:57 PM

2,808 posts, read 1,300,740 times
I agree Arkansas is compleatly underrated.

I also think that Idaho is a very underrated state nationally.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:48 AM

4,552 posts, read 3,639,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I agree Arkansas is compleatly underrated.

I also think that Idaho is a very underrated state nationally.
Outside of Colorado, the Mountain West is underrated as a whole in my opinion. Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, all underrated and beautiful Western states. They usually get tossed aside for Washington and Oregon or Colorado. And in the case of Utah, they get thrown under the bus by the Southwestern states.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
Are you serious? It's Texas.... one of the largest states in our union, also one of our most populated... To be underrated it needs to be relatively unknown. I can't tell you how many Texans are proud about Texas. They let you know how much they love Texas. It's Texas this, Texas that. Texas is pretty much its own region, it was its own country, I can tell you people across the globe know about Texas, New York, California... what about Wyoming or Arkansas? Do you think foreigners know about those states?

It's like saying California is underrated. California and Texas to me share a similar dynamic in the sense that they are large behemoths that influence everything around them. I say this as someone who literally lives halfway between San Diego and El Paso.

The point is is that when a large portion of our population is Texans, Californians, Floridians, New Yorkers, there is no physical way that those areas can EVER be underrated. That would require them being relatively unknown, "undiscovered" which is impossible with large amounts of people.

I'll give an example with my state. Arizona is a very large and diverse state. For the couple decades I've been around living here I would visit Antelope Canyon every once in a while. It's a beautiful what looks to be a small crack on the surface but a huge canyon down below in the ground. It's quite lengthy. Years ago no one knew about it. I remember going there in the early 2000s. It would practically be deserted. It wasn't until the past rather three years or so give or take I have seen Antelope Canyon get media attention and people posting about it as if it's this new thing. Antelope Canyon has always been around but if there wasn't a large, populated city relatively near by (Phoenix) in the same state I'd argue Antelope Canyon would have ever been "discovered" in the sense of being a popular tourist destination. And people tend to learn about their state the longer they live there. I know more about places near Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon than I do a few hours east in New Mexico because it's my state, the other one isn't.

If Antelope Canyon was a couple hours west and in Nevada I'd argue it would be very less known due to the fact that Nevada has significantly less people than Arizona.
Yes,I am serious.I think Texas is underrated because of our bad reputation on the national level.People seem to think that Texas is full of hardcore right wing people.However, we are less conservative than in the past.I think there are a lot of myths and stereotypes about Texas that are not true.I also think our scenery like the Hill Country and the Coast is underrated.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:24 PM

1,829 posts, read 1,251,381 times
Prickly Pear, being well known or not has to do with Name Recognition and not being Under- or Overrated. An easy example being Iraq, which has much more name recognition than Brunei but I am willing to say more people would describe it as Underrated than Overrated. Being underrated has more to do with what people think of a place versus what it actually offers. Granted, if very few people known of a place, that place probably is underrated by the general population, but that also means a place whose name is known by many can also be underrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or