Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 12:23 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I think Texas is a powerhouse of its region/s but I think its underrated nationally.I know many people will disagree with me but thats just what I think.
If anything Texas is overrated in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 12:50 AM

2,272 posts, read 2,220,070 times
I feel like NJ is underrated both regionally and nationally

Old 11-28-2016, 10:29 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,377,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
In what ways do you think Texas is underrated? It has very high net domestic migration so obviously people are moving there. Do you think it's so underrated that even more people need to be moving there?
I think the coast of Texas is underrated.

Old 11-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prickly Pear View Post
If anything Texas is overrated in my opinion.
How do you think its overrated,Prickly Pear?

Old 11-28-2016, 12:42 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I feel like NJ is underrated both regionally and nationally
The people who dislike it the most moved to Northeastern New Jersey for a job. I've read their complaints for years. OK, I get it. Houses cost too much, taxes are high, and traffic in some areas is completely hopeless.

My family's annual summer vacation was at the Jersey Shore. I've walked and driven around the Pine Barrens for the day and didn't see another person. I've had the little beach at the East Point Lighthouse all to myself for an afternoon. The people who complain about New Jersey don't go to Greenwich or Sea Breeze... or High Point, or hike to a campsite at Round Valley.

It's a small, densely populated state. Between New York, Philly and the beaches and wilderness, it's got just about everything. It doesn't take long to get to those places.

Old 11-28-2016, 01:39 PM

23,461 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I think I'd have to say South Carolina. Doesn't seem to have a great rep nationally, but those of us who are close enough to visit regularly know it's a great state in many ways, especially the coast and upstate.
I think it's safe to say that Charleston and Hilton Head enjoy a reputation outside the region.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:44 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,613,441 times
I don't know if Texas is underrated or just misunderstood. Alot of people, especially those east of the Mississippi River, picture Texas as being flat, brown barren, desert that looks like its fxn to dry up and blow away at any time. Almost everybody I've run into that is in Austin and Texas for the 1st time they are truly shocked how green and lush looking it is here. I think they were expecting it to look more like the desert SW.

People are also surprised that Texas is not filled with the ultra right wing conservative, racist, religious zealots they were expecting to find.

People don't realize how vibrant and prosperous and clean and pleasant the cities in Texas are.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:21 PM

1,982 posts, read 2,089,310 times
Quote:
In what ways do you think Texas is underrated? It has very high net domestic migration so obviously people are moving there. Do you think it's so underrated that even more people need to be moving there?
It is underrated, in my opinion, for reputation, including for scenery. In my experience, people move here because they have family or for a job (transferred or heard there is a good job market). Most people I've talked to, who tend to be from California, Louisiana, Nigeria, or Asia (mostly Korea, China, or India), are pleasantly surprised once they move here and end up loving the place for more then just money or finances.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Arkansas for sure. People in Texas know about the Ouachita and Boston ranges because if you're in the eastern part of Texas (Dallas, Houston) those are the nearest mountains. But nationally it flies under the radar and I think most would be surprised at how much natural beauty is in that state. It's actually a very popular state for backpackers.
I agree that Arkansas is underrated.Many people possibly think of that state as being backwoods and full of hillbillies everywhere.I went to Northwest Arkansas and I was shocked by how cosmopolitan it was.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:02 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I think it's safe to say that Charleston and Hilton Head enjoy a reputation outside the region.
I was speaking strictly about South Carolina as a whole. When you say "Charleston" or "Hilton Head", yes, the national rep is high. Say only South Carolina, the rep goes down a good bit nationally, IMO. That's what I was referring to. In my view, South Carolina itself is better than most people from outside of the South realize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.