U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 05:19 PM

342 posts, read 1,097,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
Red Lake Indian Reservation in Minnesota

North Minneapolis

East St Louis
East St. Louis isn't that much like that. I have sat on the ESL side at two high school football games and there wasn't any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2009, 08:27 PM

3,506 posts, read 7,311,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
I once heard a quote that reminds me of what you're saying... it goes something like "Down south, whites dislike blacks in theory, but like them in practice. Up north, whites like blacks in theory, but dislike them in practice." Up north, you still have Italian mothers bawling their eyes out if their sons marry Irish girls; you have Polish families encouraging their kids to play with other Polish kids on the playground because the others are too "Americanized." Down south, the overwhelming majority of whites are American-born and non-"ethnic"; the overwhelming majority of blacks are American-born and non-"ethnic".... and they're all "Southern." No wonder many Southern whites feel out-of-place with white Bostonians or New Yorkers but "at home" with Southern blacks. This goes to show not only that race has little to do with culture, but that culture transcends race completely in some cases.
Whites up North are more ethnic and most likely to have some connections to their native countries in Europe. The whites in the south been in America at least more than 200 years as its obvious most are either English or Scottish in ancestry. Some southern whites in the South are so Americanized that they just put United States as there ancestry. It's not uncommon to here some whites up north speaking their native tongue other than English.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:55 PM
SWV

445 posts, read 1,214,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Amongst white Americans, we view Cubans and Mexicans as the same.

What about Black Cubans and Black Mexicans?

Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 AM

9,369 posts, read 18,010,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
South Bronx boy oh boy.....

Brooklyn north hahaha

Harlem

A white person steps to any of these areas and he is GUARANTEED dead.
I used to walk through all of these neighborhoods you mentioned at all hours of night and day, back in the late 80's and early 90's when they were at their worst...it may surprise you that I'm not writing this post from the grave.

I'm not saying it's a smart idea for whites to walk around these neighborhoods, but if you know how to carry yourself you'll be fine. In all my years growing up in NYC I got into a lot of scraps...most of my fights were with other whites.

Old 05-12-2009, 04:01 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,225,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I know.....I just was wondering about the Southside of the city. Is there any diversity on the Northside or is that pretty much a Black section of the city?
The northside of the city is around 85-95% black. But both the Central West End and Universiy City, which are literally on the border of north and south St. Louis, are like upscale versions of the melting pot areas of the south side.

Old 05-12-2009, 05:14 PM

1,084 posts, read 3,472,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
I can think of parts of Miami, parts of LA, parts of Chicago, parts of NYC, parts of....the list goes on man this isn't some sort of competition lol, there are places that are hostile towards whites, this isn't a conversation about whos discrimination is more discriminating.

not true,im white live in miami and dont get alot of bad looks, unless i refuse to speak English to some Hispanics. the blacks in miami tend to be the nicest.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:18 PM

12,247 posts, read 17,989,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Cow Manure.

Whites are only weary of hoodlums in black neighborhoods.

Blacks on the other hand often have reason to be weary of everyone from retail workers to POLICE officers in white neighborhoods.

Really, retail workers huh? I am a retail worker. What do I and my co worker do to put a black person in danger?

Old 05-12-2009, 09:34 PM

12,247 posts, read 17,989,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
MRob, I have to give a short story on this. I'm not sure if its 100% true as nothing ever is 100% certain, but I have a friend that is Portuguese. We were out at a bar talking to a few girls, this is a true story. We introduced ourselves. One girl was a blonde (sorry true story she was). He ended up talking to her. The conversation no joke went exactly like this

Blonde Chick "Where are you from?"

Portuguese Friend "My Parents are from Portugal, but I was born in the US"

Blonde Chick "Oh cool, so you do you speak Spanish fluently?" (True story folks)

Portuguese Friend "Eh, no not all that well"

Blonde Chick "Portugal is sorta close to Brazil right?"

Portuguese Friend "Yes, it is Iíll be right back" -(he was being sarcastic)

We walked away, but seriously I almost spit my drink out when she asked if he spoke Spanish Fluently.

Anyway point of the story is you would be surprised how many Americans of all races mistake Spanish speaking peoples or Portuguese speaking individuals as all Latin and from South America.

I really understand your feelings.
I am Swedish. Swedes are not even close to Italians, French or Germans. The closest you will get to a Swede ( culturally ) is Norwegian,Finnish or maybe Dannish. I get questions were people asking me if they speak English in Sweden or German. When I telling them that we speak Swedish they say, oh, is that kind of like German? I say, "no, it is it's own language they are amazed. Then they say " say some thing in sweden for me " where I answer " say something in USA for me"

Old 05-13-2009, 02:14 PM

3,277 posts, read 4,614,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Really, retail workers huh? I am a retail worker. What do I and my co worker do to put a black person in danger?
I think his point is that the people who would harass a white person in the hood would probably be the same types who harass black people there. Whereas a white person in a suburb who specifically dislikes Blacks will be antipathetic towards Blacks and no one else. Assuming, for the sake of argument, that this person isn't just a tool in general.

Last edited by Hoarfrost; 05-13-2009 at 02:46 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 03:37 PM

727 posts, read 1,687,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyr View Post
what neighborhoods, cities or areas in the US tend to have alot of nonwhite people that will heckle/attack white people because of racial hatred? are there some minority areas that are more anti or pro- white than others? i heard the black parts of milwaukee are pretty racist compared to the black parts of other cities
Its funny how white people try to scream "racism" now......LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or