U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 12:43 PM

10,189 posts, read 24,911,600 times

Advertisements

Of course, we can't see each other, and I don't know what colour anyone responding here is, but I am as said earlier, rosy coloured, and I think from my own personal experience this is more accurate. I might get stared at for a few minutes here and there in a self-segregated community, but I haven't been arrested because I am a black man (or woman); I haven't been ostracized in a restaurant, or local retail shop because of the colour of my skin either. I might get some questions, like, "are you new here?" or "can I help you?" but not hassled in a black, brown or otherwise neighbourhood.

Nor was I hassled on any Native American reservation and I believe I've been on 50-odd reservations in this country.

Perhaps if we go to a neighbourhood and expect to be treated differently, we will be treated differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Cow Manure.

Whites are only weary of hoodlums in black neighborhoods.

Blacks on the other hand often have reason to be weary of everyone from retail workers to POLICE officers in white neighborhoods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 01:48 PM

3,861 posts, read 7,597,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I disagree, a black neighborhood would accept a white person living there much less than a white neighborhood would accept a black person.

You must live in fantasy land because there are many black areas that I wouldn't get out of my car in. Affluent white neighborhoods, if they are racist at all, are much more subtle.
Why only mention affluent white neighborhoods? Blue collar and lower class white neighborhoods tend to be very hostile towards blacks.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:04 PM

2,880 posts, read 6,168,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
yes, yes, this makes so much sense. A group of people that murderd, raped, and piliged black areas of the south are now scared to enter all black neighborhoods. I do not know one self respecting white southern that is scared of a black person. (As said to me by a southern white person, although i changed what he used for a black person). Dude, you're so logical. Makes perfect senese considering whites only murderd well over 6000 blacks from 1860-1950 in the south. Most blacks in the south are scared crapless of white folks.

Will you ever stop generalizing? A "group" of people that murdered? So you're saying all southern whites are responsible? That's what it sounds like.
I never said we (southern whites) are scared of black people, but we know better than going into certain black neighborhoods.

"most blacks in the south are scared crapless of white folks" That is absurd. And where did you get your statistics?

Old 02-27-2008, 02:08 PM

32,363 posts, read 55,164,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
Of course, we can't see each other, and I don't know what colour anyone responding here is, but I am as said earlier, rosy coloured, and I think from my own personal experience this is more accurate. I might get stared at for a few minutes here and there in a self-segregated community, but I haven't been arrested because I am a black man (or woman); I haven't been ostracized in a restaurant, or local retail shop because of the colour of my skin either. I might get some questions, like, "are you new here?" or "can I help you?" but not hassled in a black, brown or otherwise neighbourhood.

Nor was I hassled on any Native American reservation and I believe I've been on 50-odd reservations in this country.

Perhaps if we go to a neighbourhood and expect to be treated differently, we will be treated differently.
Normally Id agree with you, but some of the comments made thusfar have been out of touch with history and reality.

btw, Im neither black nor white-Im polynesian.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:10 PM

No need to agree, but I am confused by the "history and reality" remark. History and reality are often joined at the hip.

Quote:
Normally Id agree with you, but some of the comments made thusfar have been out of touch with history and reality.

btw, Im neither black nor white-Im polynesian.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:17 PM

32,363 posts, read 55,164,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
No need to agree, but I am confused by the "history and reality" remark. History and reality are often joined at the hip.
Not when history is interpreted to suit ones own agenda.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:21 PM

I see you mean revisionist history. Thanks, I get it.

Quote:
Not when history is interpreted to suit ones own agenda.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:31 PM

2,851 posts, read 5,589,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthhurts View Post
yes, yes, this makes so much sense. A group of people that murderd, raped, and piliged black areas of the south are now scared to enter all black neighborhoods. I do not know one self respecting white southern that is scared of a black person. (As said to me by a southern white person, although i changed what he used for a black person). Dude, you're so logical. Makes perfect senese considering whites only murderd well over 6000 blacks from 1860-1950 in the south. Most blacks in the south are scared crapless of white folks.
I'm trying to figure out are you black or white, from the north or south, and when was the last time you were down south? (the 1950's I take it). As a black man raised in the south I think it's completely absurd that you think in this day and age blacks in the south are scared crapless of white folks (some are distrustful or even hostile but scared I don't think so). Also I'm pretty sure whites in the south are more afraid of black neighborhoods than up north. In Ohio for instance neighborhoods were more mixed and whites seemed more comfortable in any neighborhood. While both the North and South in my experience have some affluent white neighborhoods where blacks warn each other you may be treated like a criminal if you go there.

And though I get your point about the old south. Most southern blacks today don't remember any of that and some of the young are totally ignorant of that past (both black and white for good or bad).

Last edited by Galounger; 02-27-2008 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 02:39 PM

563 posts, read 1,595,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
South Bronx boy oh boy.....

Brooklyn north hahaha

Harlem

A white person steps to any of these areas and he is GUARANTEED dead.
Wrong. Just because a lot of White people don't live in these areas doesn't mean that they don't ever work in them and commute through them.

Old 02-27-2008, 05:45 PM

15,006 posts, read 31,383,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
I'm trying to figure out are you black or white, from the north or south, and when was the last time you were down south? (the 1950's I take it). As a black man raised in the south I think it's completely absurd that you think in this day and age blacks in the south are scared crapless of white folks (some are distrustful or even hostile but scared I don't think so). Also I'm pretty sure whites in the south are more afraid of black neighborhoods than up north. In Ohio for instance neighborhoods were more mixed and whites seemed more comfortable in any neighborhood. While both the North and South in my experience have some affluent white neighborhoods where blacks warn each other you may be treated like a criminal if you go there.

And though I get your point about the old south. Most southern blacks today don't remember any of that and some of the young are totally ignorant of that past (both black and white for good or bad).
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or