U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,594,575 times

Advertisements

It is interesting isnt it jojo? Kinda sad too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 10:51 PM

786 posts, read 2,322,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
To even try to equate the white experience with the black experience in America is extremely insulting. Blatant institutional discrimination and racism against blacks was practiced in this country into the 1970s. Whites have never had crosses systematically burned on their lawns from moving into the wrong neighborhood, whites were never casterated and hung for dating a black woman, whites aren't racially profiled by police, when a white woman is violated or is missing the national media comes to her defense, whites have never faced exclusion from istitutions and occupations, whites have never been obliged to call a black person sir or maam under the threat of violence, white families were never torn apart because family members were sold away like cattle, whites have never been confined to living in an underserved part of a city.

The thing about history is that it affects the present. The world wasn't created in 1970. Things have gotten better, but don't try to patronize people of color and beat your chests about "injustices" that whites face.
PWNED THEM!

Old 03-15-2008, 11:40 AM

16,946 posts, read 22,260,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
To even try to equate the white experience with the black experience in America is extremely insulting. Blatant institutional discrimination and racism against blacks was practiced in this country into the 1970s. Whites have never had crosses systematically burned on their lawns from moving into the wrong neighborhood, whites were never casterated and hung for dating a black woman, whites aren't racially profiled by police, when a white woman is violated or is missing the national media comes to her defense, whites have never faced exclusion from istitutions and occupations, whites have never been obliged to call a black person sir or maam under the threat of violence, white families were never torn apart because family members were sold away like cattle, whites have never been confined to living in an underserved part of a city.

The thing about history is that it affects the present. The world wasn't created in 1970. Things have gotten better, but don't try to patronize people of color and beat your chests about "injustices" that whites face.
It's called "affirmative action." Many Whites have been excluded from jobs, colleges/universities, etc., based on it. Deny it all you wish but it does not change the fact it's racism. If people ever want to have a society where race is a non-issue, it needs to truly be a non-issue. No consideration given to race in hiring or accepting students, no special grants or whatever for certain races, etc. Truly, this stuff is just creating backlash, and "minorities" will be back where they started if it continues.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:51 PM

14,330 posts, read 19,538,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
It's called "affirmative action." Many Whites have been excluded from jobs, colleges/universities, etc., based on it. Deny it all you wish but it does not change the fact it's racism. If people ever want to have a society where race is a non-issue, it needs to truly be a non-issue. No consideration given to race in hiring or accepting students, no special grants or whatever for certain races, etc. Truly, this stuff is just creating backlash, and "minorities" will be back where they started if it continues.
I disagree. You ignore the inherent racial inequities that have plagued this country for centuries. Plenty of whites continue to discriminate against blacks and this has been going on for centuries. Nothing wrong with taking some "affirmative" steps to remedy this continuing problem by recognizing those who traditionally have been denied opportunity. Create a strawman if you want, but I don't see you condemning the long-held policies that created this unfair treatment of blacks in the first place.

"Affirmative action" is just one measure being used and as it stands in its current evolutionary process represents progress, progress that is ongoing. Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:03 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,206,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
You ignore the inherent racial inequities that have plagued this country for centuries. Plenty of whites continue to discriminate against blacks and this has been going on for centuries.
Yes but it's becoming less and less and even starting to go to the other extreme,I agree with arctichomesteader.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:11 PM

16,946 posts, read 22,260,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
I disagree. You ignore the inherent racial inequities that have plagued this country for centuries. Plenty of whites continue to discriminate against blacks and this has been going on for centuries. Nothing wrong with taking some "affirmative" steps to remedy this continuing problem by recognizing those who traditionally have been denied opportunity. Create a strawman if you want, but I don't see you condemning the long-held policies that created this unfair treatment of blacks in the first place.

"Affirmative action" is just one measure being used and as it stands in its current evolutionary process represents progress, progress that is ongoing. Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.
The topic wasn't and isn't the past but the present. What was done years ago was terrible but the answer isn't more discrimination, it is to make race a non-issue and thereby make people (or most anyways as people always will have ideas and there's nothing that can be done about that tiny percentage) race blind. Affirmative action is by definition discrimination. It is hypocritical to on one hand condemn one form of discrimination but support another, regardless of what excuse is created for it. And I'll stand by my other comments, if this discrimination persists it only keeps racism alive and well. Most of the people getting benefits from "affirmative action" programs weren't even alive when there was massive discrimination.

And racism against whites by blacks, blacks against hispanics, and on and on, is all alive and well, and affirmative action hasn't ended any of it has it. I've heard plenty of racist comments from blacks and hispanics and asians, some of which have been directed at myself (oddly enough they were all from larger urban areas like NYC and not from VT). But, it's entirely one thing when individuals are racist and discriminate and another when the government, places of learning, corporations, etc. discriminate. Individuals can have any ideas they want provided they do not act on them in certain ways, can't do anything about that regardless of how stupid their ideas are (we're not a totalitarian state yet so people have that liberty), but any form of discrimination for any reason is unacceptable from the other things I listed. Including special treatment for minorities. Two wrongs don't make a right. What supporters of these programs are after seems more to be revenge or stems from laziness (making excuses for poor performance or the welfare mentality, when in fact it's not the govt.'s job to help any one individual) than much else. Quit making excuses for not doing well based on what happened to people 50 years ago and do your best today.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:09 PM

2,775 posts, read 10,720,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
South Bronx boy oh boy.....

Brooklyn north hahaha

Harlem

A white person steps to any of these areas and he is GUARANTEED dead.
I've been through all of them in the day, but no, you wouldn't catch me walking through there after midnight. They'll even shoot the police and it's been done too many times. I wonder what the police officer death count is so far this year.

Old 03-15-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
I have a few white friends who live in Harlem and love it. GUARANTEED dead? Tell me you're just joking?
Where in Harlem? If they're in East Harlem around 114th and Lexington, then I'd worry.

Last edited by Futcha; 03-15-2008 at 04:26 PM..

Old 03-15-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheroad View Post
It is an unusual question to say the least, but I will respectfully disagree on all of these NYC neighbourhoods.

I have worked in all of them: Brooklyn: BedStuy, Crown Heights, Brownsville, ENY, etc., the Bronx (all over) and have friends of both shades of skin in Harlem, I have never, and I mean never been threatened for a second and my skin colour is neutrally rosy.
Like I said, daytime in these neighborhoods is fine. White people are walking through them but that's when the thugs are sleeping. But set the alarm on your watch for 10 PM... That's when you should be either out of the neighborhood or inside with locked doors. Thugs are waking up from a good day's sleep and showering and cleaning the barrel of their gun for "work."

A lot of people mock NYC now because of the low crime rate. If these people knew a thing about crime they'd realize that NYC is going through a gentrification stage. The dangerous neighborhoods in NYC are better, which means there aren't as many dangerous neighborhoods as there used to be... But the dangerous neighborhoods that haven't had anything done yet are Hell on Earth. Nothing has changed, rich people aren't there, crack dealers roam alleyways, gangs run projects, etc. Two people on average are killed in NYC EVERY DAY. So two people in the city woke up today like any other day... And now they're in a body bag or they will be later tonight. And it will happen again tomorrow. NYC is not as safe as you people think. Two people are going to bed tonight not knowing their fate tomorrow. Yeah, it's not a joke. I wouldn't call it safe. And the number of calls NYPD gets of shots fired every night is insane. If you live in a neighborhood like East Harlem there's a guaranteed at least one shots fired report a night and some stabbings and numerous assualts and street fights.

Sit on an East Harlem stoop from 10 PM until 5 AM as a whtie guy and if you didn't hear gunshots or get mugged I'll be in shock. It's not safe and that's that.

Here's a video of night time in Harlem... And Harlem is not the most dangerous neighborhood in New York City... There are many places in Brooklyn that are much, much worse.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVt_h4qk-L0

Last edited by Futcha; 03-15-2008 at 04:29 PM..

Old 03-15-2008, 04:33 PM

4,246 posts, read 7,838,338 times
I'm sad this thread exists. It was obviously started by a troll just trying to stir things up. The internet brings out the worst in people sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or