U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2016, 07:52 AM

9,571 posts, read 5,354,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There are a few more like CHOP, Shriner's, Penn Presbyterian.
CHOP stands for, as I'm sure you know, Children's Hospital of Phila. which is not just the main hospital but all the research and statellite facilities so they are huge just by themselves. Penn Presby is part of Penn Med(HUP, Pennsylvania Hospital, P. Presby, Perelman School of Med). I forget about Shriner's. The other pediatric hospital is St Christopher's(part of Temple Health).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
If you include UC in downtown, then there are lots.
Yeah, well.. true. Don't want to get into anything about boundaries.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:49 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,413,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atony View Post
No. As a gay man who grew up in Charlotte and still goes there frequently, it is not an ideal city for a gay guy. I like Charlotte fine for what it is, but there are much better options.
Agreed. Bypass Give it another 10 years maybe then.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:07 AM

1,199 posts, read 677,725 times
I'm going to second Philadelphia. There are tons of huge hospitals that pay well, most of which are within (Center City and University City). There is also a large, diverse gay community of all stripes here as well. Not to mention that housing is much cheaper then a place like New York, San Francisco, DC, etc. Also, winters aren't that bad at all. Snow is more the exception then the rule, and it hardly lasts when it does fall.

Last edited by MB1562; 12-02-2016 at 10:42 AM..

Old 12-02-2016, 02:04 PM

1,028 posts, read 656,745 times
Remember, the only truly warm-weather cities in the contiguous US, where it's rarely ever cold, are Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Everywhere else, including Los Angeles, San Diego, Tampa and Orlando, get rather chilly in the wintertime. Not frosty in the same respect as Dallas or Atlanta, or snowy like NYC or Philly, but chilly nonetheless.

FYI - it's been freezing in Los Angeles all week long.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Remember, the only truly warm-weather cities in the contiguous US, where it's rarely ever cold, are Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Everywhere else, including Los Angeles, San Diego, Tampa and Orlando, get rather chilly in the wintertime. Not frosty in the same respect as Dallas or Atlanta, or snowy like NYC or Philly, but chilly nonetheless.

FYI - it's been freezing in Los Angeles all week long.
To be clear Philly is NOT like Boston which, winter before last, got 7 feet of snow. Nothing like that has ever happened in Philly. Philly has had snowless winters. A couple of days ago it was nearly 70F and Christmas 2015 was pretty warm. Now, I'm saying the former to "impress" the OP about mild-esh winters in Philly and we will have a serious winter next year with back to back snow storms in Jan/Feb.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:12 PM

1,028 posts, read 656,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
To be clear Philly is NOT like Boston which, winter before last, got 7 feet of snow. Nothing like that has ever happened in Philly. Philly has had snowless winters. A couple of days ago it was nearly 70F and Christmas 2015 was pretty warm. Now, I'm saying the former to "impress" the OP about mild-esh winters in Philly and we will have a serious winter next year with back to back snow storms in Jan/Feb.
Nice try! It was 70 degrees in Providence, RI, which is less than an hour southwest of Boston, last Christmas Day, too. Also, that was a once-in-a-lifetime event that we will probably never experience again in our lifetimes.

To claim that Philly is significantly warmer or less snowy than Boston in the wintertime is disingenuous at best.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:21 AM

21,286 posts, read 30,603,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not that similar when you consider the precipitation factor. And it's not 34 degrees in Phily every single day. Outside of places like southern FL and CA, winter is winter and it gets cold.

As a native Southerner that has actually lived in metro Philly, the fall and winter seasons there aren't *too* bad, especially taking into account the effects of global warming. It was 70 degrees Christmas day in the Philly area last year. So depending on the OP's tolerance for colder weather, Philly could work. But my vote is still for Atlanta.
Philly is cold and I lived there for 10 years. 34 or 44 degrees for 4 to 5 months is not something someone seeking "warmer" weather aspires to although I do realize Philly is the magical wonderland nearly everyone on this forum makes it out to be, regardless of criteria.....that was sarcasm. I agree Atlanta or points south make the most sense if putting aside chamber of commerce tendencies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or