Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 05:20 PM

10,071 posts, read 9,844,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Not that similar when you consider the precipitation factor. And it's not 34 degrees in Phily every single day. Outside of places like southern FL and CA, winter is winter and it gets cold.

As a native Southerner that has actually lived in metro Philly, the fall and winter seasons there aren't *too* bad, especially taking into account the effects of global warming. It was 70 degrees Christmas day in the Philly area last year. So depending on the OP's tolerance for colder weather, Philly could work. But my vote is still for Atlanta.
That was crazy to me too. Christmas in Baltimore and I have on a short sleeve shirt and no jacket, that was unheard of. It was warmer last Christmas than it was when I was in Georgia Christmas 2014.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 12:41 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,079,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanmed View Post
Hello! I am a gay medical student currently living in Columbus, OH. I have lived in Columbus for 6 years and I love it but it has become a little suffocating because the gay scene is smaller and fairly young due to Ohio State's presence. Most young professionals here either are in professional school at Ohio State or work at Abercrombie due to the company's HQ. I am applying to residency programs in a little over a year and think I am ready to head to a larger city.

I have lots of friends in NYC but I think it might be miserable living there on a medical resident's budget, and it's a pretty hard life making it in New York IMO. I feel like there are probably cities with an easier life.

I really like Chicago but I would prefer to move somewhere warmer. I don't have much experience with other places so I was hoping you guys had some insight. I am looking for somewhere with opportunities to be active, a larger gay community, and lots of educated young professionals. Also, there have to be major hospitals to which I could apply (from what I can tell, Orlando and Austin do not have much in this department).

I was going to recommend Columbus before I read your post Columbus actually has a relatively large gay scene but I understand when everyone goes to Union every weekend how that could get old have six years lol.

How would you feel about D.C.? It has a ton of highly educated and attractive gay men. Kind of rough of the budget though.

Atlanta and Houston are other options if you want warmer weather than Chicago/vibrant gay scenes.

Old 11-30-2016, 09:48 AM

1,907 posts, read 3,208,197 times
Philly, Dallas or Houston all have excellent scenes and huge medical centers. (Maybe a nod toward the southern cities due to a longer swim season) Not sure how you feel about the cold.

Old 12-01-2016, 12:07 PM

530 posts, read 632,591 times
Yeah, DC while expensive is still more affordable than NY/SF and it has a huge scene of gay professionals. DC is actually the gayest area of the country by percentage, beating San Francisco.

Old 12-01-2016, 03:40 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,221,111 times
Charlotte

Old 12-01-2016, 03:49 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,850,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobo7396 View Post
San Francisco maybe.
Yes - San francisco hands down- you will enjoy it immensely and theres no harm in sharing a rental, there are plenty of urban young professionals to room with-

Portland is a little small, and while quaint isn't really a larger city not in the same way as SF or NYC is, but if you want a mellower vibe, it has that.

(while I don't have personal experience DC was a good suggestion as well, my relative lived there for about 5 years before coming to live in SF with me, and he thoroughly enjoyed DC almost as much as he does SF- he is solidly in his profession in SF)...

Last edited by CAjerseychick; 12-01-2016 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: more info

Old 12-01-2016, 06:02 PM

530 posts, read 632,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd69 View Post
Charlotte
No. As a gay man who grew up in Charlotte and still goes there frequently, it is not an ideal city for a gay guy. I like Charlotte fine for what it is, but there are much better options.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:01 PM

10,787 posts, read 8,668,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Philly. Tons of hospitals downtown. Great place for LGBT community with the gayborhood as ground zero.
Oh, for heaven's sake there are exactly three hospitals in Center City(Philly's downtown): Jefferson, Pennsylvania and Hahnemann. ... not tons. But, yes, the medical "industry" in Philly is enormous with, additionally, Penn Med, Children's, Temple, PCOM, Drexel, Main Line Health, Aria Health, Fox Chase and more.

Agreed about the lgbt community in Philly.

Old 12-01-2016, 11:33 PM

32,764 posts, read 35,972,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Oh, for heaven's sake there are exactly three hospitals in Center City(Philly's downtown): Jefferson, Pennsylvania and Hahnemann. ... not tons. But, yes, the medical "industry" in Philly is enormous with, additionally, Penn Med, Children's, Temple, PCOM, Drexel, Main Line Health, Aria Health, Fox Chase and more.

There are a few more like CHOP, Shriner's, Penn Presbyterian.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:47 AM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post

If you include UC in downtown, then there are lots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.