U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 08:55 PM

1 posts, read 816 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am a gay medical student currently living in Columbus, OH. I have lived in Columbus for 6 years and I love it but it has become a little suffocating because the gay scene is smaller and fairly young due to Ohio State's presence. Most young professionals here either are in professional school at Ohio State or work at Abercrombie due to the company's HQ. I am applying to residency programs in a little over a year and think I am ready to head to a larger city.

I have lots of friends in NYC but I think it might be miserable living there on a medical resident's budget, and it's a pretty hard life making it in New York IMO. I feel like there are probably cities with an easier life.

I really like Chicago but I would prefer to move somewhere warmer. I don't have much experience with other places so I was hoping you guys had some insight. I am looking for somewhere with opportunities to be active, a larger gay community, and lots of educated young professionals. Also, there have to be major hospitals to which I could apply (from what I can tell, Orlando and Austin do not have much in this department).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 08:56 PM

1,133 posts, read 1,275,354 times
San Francisco maybe.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:01 AM

9,059 posts, read 4,132,457 times
Portland, Seattle, Austin, Denver, or San Francisco.

Old 11-22-2016, 11:17 AM

29,946 posts, read 27,415,389 times
If the OP would struggle in NYC on a medical resident's budget, I'm not sure why folks are recommending San Francisco which, by some measures, is even more expensive than NYC.

Atlanta is a good option.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:39 PM

4,633 posts, read 2,787,112 times
Philly. Tons of hospitals downtown. Great place for LGBT community with the gayborhood as ground zero.

Old 11-22-2016, 01:56 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,240,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanmed View Post
I really like Chicago but I would prefer to move somewhere warmer. I don't have much experience with other places so I was hoping you guys had some insight. I am looking for somewhere with opportunities to be active, a larger gay community, and lots of educated young professionals. Also, there have to be major hospitals to which I could apply (from what I can tell, Orlando and Austin do not have much in this department).
I'd say Dallas and Atlanta would be good options. Dallas's Oak Lawn neighborhood has the most vibrant gay nightlife scene in all of Texas and is also close to a major medical district (UT Southwestern). Depending where you live in Oak Lawn, you could possibly walk to the Medical District.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:31 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,703,781 times
Young gay professional here. If you want a warmer city with a large gay scene I'd pick Los Angeles metro. It's much cheaper than NYC and contrary to popular belief you can actually find relatively affordable housing on the westside (around 1,000 or under for a one bedroom in some areas). Dallas and Atlanta could be good options too...I personally think DC would be the best option of the bunch because you said you wanted a metro with lots of educated young professionals and a large gay scene.

Old 11-22-2016, 02:34 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,127,311 times
Minneapolis is a major medical and med tech hub with a fairly strong gay culture and reasonable cost of living. But it's colder even than Chicago (only by a few degrees).

Old 11-22-2016, 04:58 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,831,191 times
Houston

Old 11-22-2016, 07:52 PM

25,063 posts, read 23,951,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Philly. Tons of hospitals downtown. Great place for LGBT community with the gayborhood as ground zero.
Second.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or