U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 08:45 AM

970 posts, read 1,645,361 times

Advertisements

Man that post above looks official. Congrats to those in Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Erie, Renovo, & Morgantown... y'all can say you're from the east coast. But please do so responsibly, do not abuse such privilege. Condolences to Cleve, but remember things could change at the next review by the ECC (east coast commission).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 08:52 AM

3,790 posts, read 2,593,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So RI, NH, ME, etc aren't East Coast in your book...hope nobody else takes cues from that book.

You live in an East Coast state but you aren't actually on the East Coast. If it's that important to you, move to Wilmington or Elizabeth City. Even then, nobody refers to the NC coast as "East Coast."
No. I did not say that ONLY states that had an ACC school before 2013 are East Coast states; I said that ALL states that had an ACC team before 2013. There was no claim of exclusivity. Be sure to read carefully!

Old 12-04-2016, 08:53 AM

3,790 posts, read 2,593,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That leaves out a few states which are on the coast.
Nope; not it doesn't. Read it again.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:02 AM

22,345 posts, read 32,231,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
I grew up in NJ, have lived in NYC many years. When I learned geography as a kid, we were taught the term "Mid-Atlantic" and I still use that term if/when it comes up. I don't know why some people here have said it's never used. The term is quite commonly known.

East Coast = Maine to Florida. Ain't no two ways about that! Anyone who thinks it is just about a few cities in the Northeast is either misinformed or ignorant of the facts. The term East Coast refers not only to a handful of cities; it's referring to all the states along the coast of the Atlantic Ocean.

And Cleveland is not part of it, whoever keeps saying that is being ridiculous. All of OH is part of the the very large Midwest region. Anyone I have ever known considers people from any part of Ohio as having come from the Midwest.

Although neither PA or DC are touching the Atlantic Ocean, they do connect to the ocean via tidal estuaries (the Delaware River & the Potomac), and are generally considered part of the East Coast. And yes, that means all of PA, even though I am sure many people who live in Western PA probably identify more with the Midwest than the East Coast. Keep in mind that Philly was always considered an important East Coast shipping port.

Technically, VT and WV are not on the Atlantic coast either, but they are usually considered as belonging to the Eastern Coast/Seaboard states. Mostly this has to do with proximity and the fact that they were among the original thirteen colonies.

So...

The EAST COAST includes these regions:
New England - ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT.

Mid-Atlantic - NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, VA, WV. However, a lot of people only think of NY, NJ, and PA as Mid-Atlantic. And DE, MD, and VA has come to be known as DelMarVa.

Southern Atlantic - DC, NC, SC, GA, FL. Often referred to as the Southeast or part of the South, as well.
WEST COAST is WA, OR, CA.

Agreed growing up in Philly I never questioned whether I lived in the Mid Atlantic, I thought that was a given and I used and referenced for these areas many times. I would also believe I grew up in the North East and on the East coast (the Jersey beaches are very much part of the local fabric IMHO moreso then the mountains, which are also to a lessor extent

East Coast goes from the Keys to Maine though at times is used to describe the Northeast as lingo or reference, either can be accurate depending on the context

on Delmarva -personally I think of that area as the land area east of the Chesapeake and includes the beach towns of DE, MD (eastern shore), and VA. It is also more associated with more rural poverty and chicken farms but has some beautiful beaches and also great Chesapeake towns.

The NE corridor seems to head west of the Chesapeake below DE - but these are sort of sub regions like Appalachia in the mountains of VA, MD, and PA (even WV as loosely aligned in the east at times)

definitions can be tight or loose given the context

Functionally East Coast is FL to Maine (with only VT and PA states considered in it not touching the ocean though both come close)

More referential in context is the East Coast can be synonymous with the North East or even more specifically the NE corridor or in its most restrictive reference NYC alone

Old 12-04-2016, 04:59 PM

625 posts, read 1,356,204 times
Quote:
Neither state was among the 13 original colonies.
Correction: I meant to write "part of" the original 13, rather than "among..." which would have been more clear, I think. Obviously, WV was part of the colony of Virginia. VT was considered by some to belong to the colony of NY, and others to the colony of NH, before it became its own state. Because of that history, they are considered East Coast states. Poor VT if it wasn't; it would have to be its own region (or maybe they would like that).

I should've also added a note about the Mid-Atlantic states: the combination of NJ, NY, and PA, with New England makes up the Northeast region.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:03 PM

625 posts, read 1,356,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Man that post above looks official. Congrats to those in Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Erie, Renovo, & Morgantown... y'all can say you're from the east coast. But please do so responsibly, do not abuse such privilege. Condolences to Cleve, but remember things could change at the next review by the ECC (east coast commission).
Are you aware that the United States Geological Survey has official designations for all census regions in the US? What I wrote is pretty much agreed-upon according to the USGS.

Old 12-04-2016, 05:54 PM

29,973 posts, read 27,498,725 times
Quote:
Correction: I meant to write "part of" the original 13, rather than "among..." which would have been more clear, I think. Obviously, WV was part of the colony of Virginia. VT was considered by some to belong to the colony of NY, and others to the colony of NH, before it became its own state. Because of that history, they are considered East Coast states. Poor VT if it wasn't; it would have to be its own region (or maybe they would like that).

I should've also added a note about the Mid-Atlantic states: the combination of NJ, NY, and PA, with New England makes up the Northeast region.
Ok, gotcha.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:09 PM

259 posts, read 309,987 times
Forgetting Jacksonville, FL..... It's the largest city in the U.S. in square miles I believe.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:04 PM

7,150 posts, read 9,934,593 times
Quote:
Neither state was among the 13 original colonies.
Technically they were part of the 13 colonies because they were part of another colony.

Vermont officially belonged to New York, recognized by New York and Great Britain but contested by the Vermonters. New York only recognized and ended all her land claims with Vermont in 1790.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermont_Republic The members of the Convention of 1787 assumed that Vermont was not yet separate from New York; however, Madison's notes on the Federal Convention of 1787 make clear that there was an agreement by New York to allow for the admission of Vermont to the union;[9] it was just a question of process, which was delayed by larger federal questions..... On March 6, 1790, the legislature of New York consented to Vermont statehood.

West Virginia, along with Kentucky was still part of Virginia during the colonial/early statehood period. West Virginia in fact, stayed part of Virginia until the Civil War. And Kentucky actually started as a county in Virginia - Kentucky County. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kentucky_County,_Virginia

Old 12-05-2016, 03:45 AM

970 posts, read 1,645,361 times
Quote:
Are you aware that the United States Geological Survey has official designations for all census regions in the US? What I wrote is pretty much agreed-upon according to the USGS.
Wow, if the terms north, east, west, south, north-east, east coast, north coast, south coast, west coast, bowash, mid-west, upper mid-west, lower mid-west, deep south, and the gateway cities for these regions are all defined by the USGS, imagine all the threads that could be removed. We'd be left with nothing but "my city/state is better than yours".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or