U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 11:09 PM

1,586 posts, read 1,539,997 times

Advertisements

I grew up in New York among people who are snobby as hell and look down on the South like it's 1865, and I've never met anyone who didn't consider the East Coast to extend down to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 11:14 PM

2,112 posts, read 1,306,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Miami is still very southern, no doubt about it.
I don't know about that. I'm not from Florida, but I feel like people from Miami and Florida in general would disagree with you.

Old 11-25-2016, 11:22 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,881,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Meteorologist usually say Eastern Seaboard.
No they dont....they and the news reporters typically say east coast (or gulf coast) when reporting to the general public.

Seriously, when have you heard "Hurricane Joe is headed for the eastern seaboard" vs "Hurricane Joe is headed for the east coast."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...he-west-coast/

The Entire East Coast Needs to Be on Alert for Hurricane Matthew

History-making East Coast hurricanes - Photo 1 - Pictures - CBS News

https://youtu.be/lV_yMw-su5U

"While it's not always common to see the eye of a hurricane swirling its way towards New York and New Jersey, the East Coast, especially North Carolina, has had its share of Mother Nature's fiercest storms."

Old 11-26-2016, 12:07 AM

7,730 posts, read 6,139,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I don't know about that. I'm not from Florida, but I feel like people from Miami and Florida in general would disagree with you.
No worries, I know people from Miami who have called themselves southern. My fiancée's family is from Miami, I hung out with her grandmother's side, and her grandfather's side and they both claimed it to be southern.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:02 AM

920 posts, read 1,015,903 times
Jacksonville is closer to the east coast than Philly. Philly is considered an east coast city and Jacksonville isn't.

Old 11-26-2016, 01:10 AM

7,730 posts, read 6,139,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
No they dont....they and the news reporters typically say east coast (or gulf coast) when reporting to the general public.

Seriously, when have you heard "Hurricane Joe is headed for the eastern seaboard" vs "Hurricane Joe is headed for the east coast."

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...he-west-coast/

The Entire East Coast Needs to Be on Alert for Hurricane Matthew

History-making East Coast hurricanes - Photo 1 - Pictures - CBS News

https://youtu.be/lV_yMw-su5U

"While it's not always common to see the eye of a hurricane swirling its way towards New York and New Jersey, the East Coast, especially North Carolina, has had its share of Mother Nature's fiercest storms."
https://youtu.be/5_xDihnvGHI

Hermine Kills 2, as Storm Barrels Along Eastern Seaboard | NBC New York

Old 11-26-2016, 04:35 AM

970 posts, read 1,640,209 times
Eastern seaboard is east coast + Ocean City but not Maine. Miami is deep southern east seaboard but not east coast, Maine is upper deep northern eastern seaboard and east coast.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:49 AM

7,131 posts, read 9,903,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boulevardofdef View Post
I grew up in New York among people who are snobby as hell and look down on the South like it's 1865, and I've never met anyone who didn't consider the East Coast to extend down to Florida.
Same here. I don't think I ever heard anyone in New York ever say that the Carolinas or Florida is not on the East Coast. It is kind of strange.

Old 11-26-2016, 10:43 AM

1,593 posts, read 832,787 times
I heard people say East Coast and mean Maine to Miami, Boston to DC and just New York. Nobody in real life has ever jumped in to correct, that seems limited to messageboards.

Old 11-26-2016, 11:18 AM

5,122 posts, read 3,881,806 times
No doubt some say seaboard, but East coast is used far more on a larger scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or