U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 10:33 AM

970 posts, read 1,642,601 times

Advertisements

Buffalo, Rochester, & Cleveland are north & east coast, 2 coasts for the price of 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2016, 10:59 AM

29,947 posts, read 27,424,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Anyone with a little education knows the "East Coast" is from Maine to Florida regardless of what ignorant people say about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_C..._United_States

coast
kōst/Submit
noun
the part of the land near the sea; the edge of the land.

east
ēst/Submit
noun
the direction toward the point of the horizon where the sun rises at the equinoxes, on the right-hand side of a person facing north, or the point on the horizon itself.
All geographical designations aren't literal in their application, just like "the South" doesn't refer to the southern half of the country.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:40 AM

10,166 posts, read 6,499,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
All geographical designations aren't literal in their application, just like "the South" doesn't refer to the southern half of the country.

There is no denying that the East Coast of the US is from Maine to Florida. No matter how you spin it.

Old 11-27-2016, 11:54 AM

25,069 posts, read 23,960,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
There's clearly a difference between what locals hear and the popular image among people elsewhere. Terms like "East Coast formality" are obviously referring to the big-city Northeast.
It also depends on where you are. I doubt people in Ohio or Alabama say that they're going to the East Coast. My sister lives on the West Coast in Washington, just South of Seattle. I can be more specific and say Pacific Northwest, but to me it's the West Coast.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:06 PM

1,593 posts, read 835,824 times
The history and way the country developed has obviously effected the way people talk about geography. If somebody from California was going to visit Wilmington NC, Charleston SC and Savanna Ga, they would probably say they're going to the South not the East Coast, although both would be correct. If they were visiting New York, Philly and Baltimore, they'd more likely say they were visiting the East Coast. If they said East Coast for either they'd be correct, I just think that is how they would describe where they were going.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:34 PM

10,166 posts, read 6,499,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_General View Post
The history and way the country developed has obviously effected the way people talk about geography. If somebody from California was going to visit Wilmington NC, Charleston SC and Savanna Ga, they would probably say they're going to the South not the East Coast, although both would be correct. If they were visiting New York, Philly and Baltimore, they'd more likely say they were visiting the East Coast. If they said East Coast for either they'd be correct, I just think that is how they would describe where they were going.

That depends also on the people. I have never heard anyone I know that were going to New York or Philly say they were going to the East coast they say they are going to the Northeast.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:32 PM

970 posts, read 1,642,601 times
Philly is mid-atlantic

Old 11-27-2016, 05:10 PM

3,766 posts, read 2,577,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
All those cities metro areas combined is about 38 million people.

Miami, Jacksonville, Savannah, Charleston, Wilmington, VA Beach/Norfolk, Atlantic City, New Haven, Providence & Portland combined. is about 12 million people
Richmond, Raleigh, Greensboro, Charlotte, Atlanta, Orlando, Tampa all say hi...

Old 11-27-2016, 05:15 PM

3,766 posts, read 2,577,779 times
I've always thought I lived on the East Coast.....but then someone on City-Data mandated that nothing south of DC metro area is really the east coast. Now I have no identity!

Old 11-27-2016, 07:12 PM

5 posts, read 2,200 times
Geographically no, culturally yes.

New York, Philadelphia, Boston, Washington and Miami/Atlanta are the big ones on the East Coast that set the tone for the rest of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or