U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2016, 07:43 AM

3,118 posts, read 4,290,191 times

Advertisements

To me it seems like a majority of people who move out of state after college do so temporarily to a big high cost of living city and then eventually move back closer to where they grew up. For example, I'm from Indiana and a lot of people move to Chicago for a few years, then move back to Indianapolis to raise a family. so basically would you be happy living in a different region than where your immediate family is long term? Having to fly back to my home state and being disconnected from the region seems like to much for the rest of my life. I lived on the east coast temporarily and was happy there, but am so hesitant to make that move long term. I would love to move back in Indianapolis but there aren't as many jobs and it's been hard. Can anyone relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 07:50 AM

6,235 posts, read 5,894,156 times
It depends on how independent the person is.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:20 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,655,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
To me it seems like a majority of people who move out of state after college do so temporarily to a big high cost of living city and then eventually move back closer to where they grew up. For example, I'm from Indiana and a lot of people move to Chicago for a few years, then move back to Indianapolis to raise a family. so basically would you be happy living in a different region than where your immediate family is long term? Having to fly back to my home state and being disconnected from the region seems like to much for the rest of my life. I lived on the east coast temporarily and was happy there, but am so hesitant to make that move long term. I would love to move back in Indianapolis but there aren't as many jobs and it's been hard. Can anyone relate?
You have to consider that family members and friends might move too. All my high school friends moved away from our city upon graduating college. They never returned. I was the first family member to move cross country, from the Midwest to the PNW, later both my sisters relocated to other cities as well. When my dad died and my mom wanted to live in a retirement home, she moved to the cross country city where my one sister lived.

I moved from the PNW back to the Midwest region after living in the PNW for nearly forty years. I could no longer afford the city where I had lived and had begun to really dislike it. While I was living there some of my friends moved on to other places.

I wouldn't base my location or relocation plans upon where others are. People are transient these days. You can stay in the place in which you were born and still eventually wind up alone.

Old 11-25-2016, 12:24 PM

1,934 posts, read 1,699,047 times
I grew up in Phoenix, moved to LA for college and have decided to stay in LA. I know a lot of friends who have done the same. Most of my friends have the same mindset that I had. Live in LA in your 20s then move back to Phoenix when it's time to settle down. I think the reason why a lot of my Phoenician friends and I chose to live in LA is because we are basically still in the same region and it's only a 45 min flight/5 and a half hour drive back to our families back in PHX. I have recently come to the conclusion that I don't really need to stay in the same region. I can definitly see myself moving to Washington DC or Chicago if the opportunity presents itself.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:16 PM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Quote:
Not really. I never wanted to move away just to move away. I did eventually, but only because I married someone who lived in another state. His job required him to move. I never wanted to live in a big city, but I did that, too.

One brother found a nice career job in the home town. The other one got a job overseas about 18 months after graduation. When that contract was up, he worked in the next state (not a big city) for about 8 years until he landed the next overseas contract. He was off and running. He took a job in the states once in a while so that his kids could learn how to be American. My sister moved about a year after graduating from nursing school. She was running from a failed relationship. Mom's friend's daughter had moved to Atlanta a few months before and was looking for a roommate. She never came back. She only lived in Atlanta for a couple of years, but she never moved back to the home town.

If you want to move, move. You can visit or move back.

Old 11-25-2016, 08:29 PM

1,167 posts, read 576,143 times
Quote:
I would love to move back in Indianapolis but there aren't as many jobs and it's been hard.
Do you usually feel this way, or did you spend a lonely Thanksgiving?

If you normally feel this way, it sounds like you need to hang in there for the right job. There aren't as many jobs here, but there aren't as many people or college graduates, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.