U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 10:13 AM

1,306 posts, read 1,229,155 times

Advertisements

Save your money, apply for jobs, don't move no where until you have a job lined up, until then, you need to bare with it and find you a job there(there being home) and save as much as you can. Then you might be able to transfer that job to where ever you move. 700 dollars can be burned real quick and you might not like your situation now, but you would hate a situation of moving some where, with no friends, no family, no help, no shelter, no food, no water, and no money, and no foreseeable time to when you are going to get those things.

Also maybe you could move to another part of the state, maybe you have friends, or other family members that aren't caught up in what ever drama you are trying to escape that can help you.

Last edited by drrckmtthws; 11-29-2016 at 10:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 11:53 AM

217 posts, read 177,332 times
I have family and acquaintances, but I can't count on them. They're either part of the problem, wrapped up in their own life and issues, or aren't talking to me. The only family I can think of that I MAY be able to live with, who I am on good terms with, who is not in the middle of any drama, is an elderly aunt in Atlanta, Georgia, if I'm not mistaken.

But I'm tired of asking people I know for help, I just want to find a job and a place to live on my own. I'm planning on calling an Air Force recruiter next week, since I'm almost below 190 lbs, which is the max weight for my height. I know it may not be enough, and I'm concerned about my small history of knee injuries and having taken anti-depressants for one month over a year ago, but I have to try.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:42 PM

1,167 posts, read 576,143 times
Here's an Airbnb room for $20 a night. It's in a good neighborhood in Indianapolis with easy access to regular bus service. (I know because it's close to my house.) Lots of work available here; low cost of living. I know you don't want help, but let me know if you move here. I'm around, and there may be resources here to help out someone in a bind.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1297299...s=1&s=x4tQ2-Wc

Old 11-29-2016, 06:42 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,975,563 times
700.00? That's maybe 4 nights in a normal city. Talk to your family.

Old 11-29-2016, 07:02 PM

4,849 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
Here's an Airbnb room for $20 a night. It's in a good neighborhood in Indianapolis with easy access to regular bus service. (I know because it's close to my house.) Lots of work available here; low cost of living. I know you don't want help, but let me know if you move here. I'm around, and there may be resources here to help out someone in a bind.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1297299...s=1&s=x4tQ2-Wc
good person

Old 11-29-2016, 07:35 PM

I appreciate the offer, sheerbliss, and I will keep it in mind.

I tried looking for jobs online in Indianapolis, and I will try to contain my search to there, but I kind of got side-tracked and just started applying like crazy all over, just trying to maximize my chances of a call back. I tried searching on Indeed.com, but a lot of their job offers just seem so specialized, there's hundreds of them, and they all have their own separate application system and page. I can't even get an entry job as a painter.

When you say there's good work nearby, what kind of work do you mean? What do you suggest I try applying for?

I feel like there is still a lot of nuances and important details that I am forgetting. Like, how will I get to the utilities company to turn on utilities when I get my apartment? I'm hoping that's where the $700 will come in for taxi and bus fairs.

How do I time things right so that I can get to an employer's job offer AND find a place to live after getting the job in a reasonable amount of time? Do I just go as soon as I get hired and find someone to live with until I get my own place? How long does it usually take to get into an apartment after I sign the lease? Is $500 a month affordable rent for someone who's working a job at McDonald's or a Chili's? Is it affordable in this city? What about the other city I applied for?

Update: I did find some entry-level painting jobs, which sounds like the kind of work I can really get into, but I'm worried that I may be overthinking it.

Would it hurt to not use a cover letter, or would it be too much to use a cover letter? I always believed that I should always include a cover letter for whatever job I applied for, but I saw a thread on Indeed.com where some guys were talking about how obsolete and pointless they are for online applications.

Does being honest about not being in Indianapolis hurt my chances? I don't know what I could do about that, though. Moving there without a job is still risky, and lying isn't going to do me any good.

For what it's worth, I do have on my resume about how I once was a student assistant for disability students, and how I spent this summer doing trail maintenance in the mountains, fence building and ranch work, and did mucking and gutting in Black Mold-covered houses. Is that over-kill?

Last edited by TinBo; 11-29-2016 at 08:19 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 09:11 PM

1,167 posts, read 576,143 times
Amazon is hiring at $12 to $18 an hour. It looks like they provide transportation to and from the Fairgrounds. That's a fairly sketchy area.

Amazon Indianapolis Jobs

I see help wanted signs at various places like restaurants and stores; I think McDonald's pays $8 an hour and there's one nearby. Trucking companies advertise for drivers. You might try calling Office Team--I temped with them for $10 an hour during the primary elections and they might have some other temp jobs available now. I think it will be hard to get job before you get here (or anywhere else). An employer or agency will want to interview you in person. I'll be honest--your lack of a car will make it challenging in Indianapolis. There are people who get by without one, though. Bus fare is $1.75 one way; a pass is $60 per month.

I suggested an Airbnb room since it sounds like you are still living at home and don't have furnishings, pots & pans, etc., and all that stuff costs money. So does a security deposit, and landlords probably won't rent to someone without a job. That said, apartments.com shows a few apartments for rent for around $400 in decent areas. Some include utilities, others don't. http://www.apartments.com/bankers-la...is-in/j21rfd5/ http://www.apartments.com/6058-e-was...is-in/g496fqx/ http://www.apartments.com/1512-n-pen...is-in/w89cfbk/

Is $500 a month affordable for someone working at McDonald's or Chili's? Let's say that you're working full time, and after taxes, you take home $1000 per month. Utilities at my place have averaged $145/month, if you need an idea of what your utilities cost might be. Between rent and a bus pass, that's $560 per month, assuming no utilities, leaving $440 for groceries and everything else. That might be doable--but keep in mind I haven't rented in many years and I don't know how much trouble getting around Indy on the bus might be.

If you're interested, you might post on the Indianapolis forum to get some feedback from people in a better position than I am to know how you might fare.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:24 AM

I suspected that there would be risks and obstacles with making this move, but I really don't have any better options. I would hope that it would be possible to bike to work while living in Indianapolis, even if I have to bike two miles or something, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

I was concerned about the whole renting an apartment thing. I don't really want to rent one right now anyways, for various reasons (no dependable roommate, deposit may take all the $700 I have, I have no credit history and would probably need a parent to co-sign which I am trying to avoid, etc.), but I wasn't sure if I had other options other than renting an apartment.

I'd rather secure a job before leaving, but I suspected that I would have to be there to find most jobs anyways. It just seems more right. I'll start making plans to depart next week. I just got to decide how to get there and how expensive it may be. Considering how close it is to West Tennessee, I may just take the Greyhound bus, even though I don't trust it. Either bus all the way, or train most of the way, and then bus to Indianapolis. All I know is that I am going to be carrying 2-3 bags with me: A rolling backpack, and a big military hiking pack that a friend gave me.

I'll try posting in the Indianapolis forum this afternoon.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:33 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,871,041 times
If you have a paid volunteer position in the works in February, why not just stick it out until February?

You really don't have much money to be able to survive and I think if you move you will end up homeless.

I also was going to suggest moving to where I live, which is Toledo, OH. It is a Rust Belt city but it VERY cheap to live in and you can go to a temp service and find a job within 24-48 hours as long as you are not a drug addict and don't have a criminal record. We also have a lot of social services programs that help people who are down on their luck or homeless or need a job. You can get a 1bd apartment in a not-so-nice area for $300-$400 a month.

Also, if you are living in Memphis, I would think Memphis is rather affordable, why not just move out of the house you are living in with family and get your own place. UPS is hiring for seasonal help and they and FedEx are always hiring package handlers. One of my nephews who is your age works for one of them and makes over $14 an hour after 3 months. People don't last though at those places because the work is hard but if you are a hard worker, you should just keep your $700 IMO, get a regular job and rent a place, either on AirbNB or just an efficiency apartment in Memphis and stay where you are.

Old 11-30-2016, 10:43 AM

15,407 posts, read 7,871,041 times
Will note that Toledo is probably similar, but smaller to Indianapolis in regards to affordability and job prospects. It is also colder here than Indy but we don't get as much snow due to geography usually.

I'm not all that knowledgeable about jobs in Indy, but in Toledo there are a lot of entry level production/factory type of jobs that you don't have to have much of any experience in - just need to be drug free and not be lazy. We don't have good public transportation though so if you don't have a car, that would be an issue here. There are buses but most production/factory jobs are not in the city proper and you would not be able to take a bus to many of those locations.

Here's one of the temp agencies that I know hires people on the spot Jobs in Toledo.

Most production/assembly/general labor/factor positions start at $9-$12 an hour. Which is enough to live comfortably in this area by yourself if you get a cheap place and work full time. Also, I have relatives who got temp jobs via this agency who got hired into the jobs permanently within 6 months and got a $2-$5 an hour raise by being hired in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or