U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 12:30 PM

15,512 posts, read 7,925,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post
Ah, I know what I want to do now. I've got an idea that lines up with my geography degree, my interest in a career with the NFS, AND lets me do hands-on work or live with my aunt or something.

I go do NCCC for a year, come back, find work in Cincinnati or Toledo using some of the skills I picked up in NCCC, finish my degree online whilst receiving EMT training at some point, and then after I finish my degree and EMT training, either go receive some horticulture certification, or begin taking a course in Mountain Medicine.

I have this odd desire to learn all of the sudden, but I'm not sure if I will be able to pull it all off financially or time-wise.

Does anyone know what Cincinnati is like when compared to Toledo? I'm going to go over to those forms real quick and ask, but since we already mentioned Toledo and other cities in this thread, I thought I might as well mention it here.
Cincinnati is a much more cosmopolitan city versus Toledo and its culture is much more "southern" IMO than Toledo, which is much more Midwest in nature.

Cincinnati also has a much better climate, they do some cold temps but it is nothing like Toledo. I personally feel it is the most beautiful city in the state of Ohio and there are a lot of jobs right now in Cincinnati as well. Even though Ohio gets a bad wrap in media, if people are willing to work and aren't drug addicts, you can do find here. The entire state is rather inexpensive compared to the rest of the country and the cities are much more affordable than other similar sized cities in more populated areas.

Cincinnati is more expensive than Toledo, but I personally like Cincy and if I ever decide to leave Toledo again, I'd consider moving there. You can also look at Dayton, which is not far from Cincinnati. All my friends from Dayton agree with me when I tell them I think people in Dayton are the nicest people in Ohio . Never met someone from Dayton I didn't like lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Status: "Warrior fan no matter the roster" (set 2 days ago)

12,222 posts, read 10,454,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Cincinnati is a much more cosmopolitan city versus Toledo and its culture is much more "southern" IMO than Toledo, which is much more Midwest in nature.

Cincinnati also has a much better climate, they do some cold temps but it is nothing like Toledo. I personally feel it is the most beautiful city in the state of Ohio and there are a lot of jobs right now in Cincinnati as well. Even though Ohio gets a bad wrap in media, if people are willing to work and aren't drug addicts, you can do find here. The entire state is rather inexpensive compared to the rest of the country and the cities are much more affordable than other similar sized cities in more populated areas.

Cincinnati is more expensive than Toledo, but I personally like Cincy and if I ever decide to leave Toledo again, I'd consider moving there. You can also look at Dayton, which is not far from Cincinnati. All my friends from Dayton agree with me when I tell them I think people in Dayton are the nicest people in Ohio . Never met someone from Dayton I didn't like lol.
I think he'd do better in Toledo, still...because he has a family member there and it's cheaper for a student. From personal experience, the less exciting a city, the more focused one is on school and work
Cincy may be a nice option once he finishes his EMT certification and is able to hook up some work in the area.

Old 12-08-2016, 01:49 PM

4,827 posts, read 5,397,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think he'd do better in Toledo, still...because he has a family member there and it's cheaper for a student.
Cincy may be a nice option once he finishes his EMT certification and is able to hook up some work in the area.
This is good advice!

Old 12-08-2016, 06:58 PM

217 posts, read 181,429 times
My hands are a bit numb from talking to my aunt on the phone outside, and my Carpel Tunnel is acting up in my right hand, but I'm going to go ahead and write this as quickly as possible.

It seems settled to me that I am going to try my luck in Toledo. It seems like a nice-enough town, and although I like the idea of a big city and being someplace with a lot of young wo- people, Toledo sounds just right, and it's much better than staying in the small town close to my home - where almost half the city is related to me in some way. Plus, like you all said, I have an aunt there, and it sounds like there are jobs and affordable places in Toledo. That's what matters right now.

From what my aunt told me, she stays in some residential place for elderly, and the landlord may only allow me to stay for 2-3 weeks as a visitor, but she does have a bedroom that she doesn't use. I would think that I would do like what my father once suggested or what I once had to do because of a roommate issue, and stay with her while not being on the lease, but my aunt is a good, honest, elderly woman, and I don't want to risk getting her into any trouble, so I may just stay with her for about as long as possible, if possible, and look for another place to stay while I'm visiting. Also, from the people she's told me about, it sounds like she has a few friends and family who stay in Toledo, as well, some who work for the mayor, and a preacher she knows.

From what it sounds like, it may be possible for me to manage getting to work with a moped or motorcycle, and I'm not too concerned about that winter weather, but I'm guessing that I should be, so I'll have to figure that out at some point. I don't mind the idea of riding in the winter, but then again, I'm not used to that climate. The cold may be too much for me to dress to prepare for riding a bike in. I just think that by using a bicycle, moped, or motorcycle, that I could possibly cut down expenses, and get a newer, more dependable vehicle for under 10k, but I'll have to see. I'm not getting my hopes up.

I may hop over to the automotive forum and start a discussion about mopeds, get an opinion on their use maybe?

@residinghere2007, what jobs do you recommend I look at for getting marketable job skills while I finish my degree online? Is it possible to do so without going to trade school for a year or two? I can go to trade school, but I'd rather finish my degree first, and just take an EMT course while taking online classes, if possible. Is it possible to work as an apprentice and get paid in some way?

Last edited by TinBo; 12-08-2016 at 07:17 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I think he'd do better in Toledo, still...because he has a family member there and it's cheaper for a student. From personal experience, the less exciting a city, the more focused one is on school and work
ITA and feel you should take this advice OP.

It is always better to be focused on studies and have some familial support in your studies.

Just wanted to give you some comparisons/contrasts of Cincy and Toledo.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinBo View Post
My hands are a bit numb from talking to my aunt on the phone outside, and my Carpel Tunnel is acting up in my right hand, but I'm going to go ahead and write this as quickly as possible.

It seems settled to me that I am going to try my luck in Toledo. It seems like a nice-enough town, and although I like the idea of a big city and being someplace with a lot of young wo- people, Toledo sounds just right, and it's much better than staying in the small town close to my home - where almost half the city is related to me in some way. Plus, like you all said, I have an aunt there, and it sounds like there are jobs and affordable places in Toledo. That's what matters right now.

From what my aunt told me, she stays in some residential place for elderly, and the landlord may only allow me to stay for 2-3 weeks as a visitor, but she does have a bedroom that she doesn't use. I would think that I would do like what my father once suggested or what I once had to do because of a roommate issue, and stay with her while not being on the lease, but my aunt is a good, honest, elderly woman, and I don't want to risk getting her into any trouble, so I may just stay with her for about as long as possible, if possible, and look for another place to stay while I'm visiting. Also, from the people she's told me about, it sounds like she has a few friends and family who stay in Toledo, as well, some who work for the mayor, and a preacher she knows.

From what it sounds like, it may be possible for me to manage getting to work with a moped or motorcycle, and I'm not too concerned about that winter weather, but I'm guessing that I should be, so I'll have to figure that out at some point. I don't mind the idea of riding in the winter, but then again, I'm not used to that climate. The cold may be too much for me to dress to prepare for riding a bike in. I just think that by using a bicycle, moped, or motorcycle, that I could possibly cut down expenses, and get a newer, more dependable vehicle for under 10k, but I'll have to see. I'm not getting my hopes up.

I may hop over to the automotive forum and start a discussion about mopeds, get an opinion on their use maybe?

@residinghere2007, what jobs do you recommend I look at for getting marketable job skills while I finish my degree online? Is it possible to do so without going to trade school for a year or two? I can go to trade school, but I'd rather finish my degree first, and just take an EMT course while taking online classes, if possible. Is it possible to work as an apprentice and get paid in some way?
First, I want to state that you do need to think about winter. You will need to use some of your money and get you some good winter outergear. I'd suggest you wait until you get here to purchase it. I lived in Atlanta for a long time but when I moved back to Toledo, I had to go buy myself and my kids all new coats because the ones down south IMO are "thinner" than those that are sold in stores here.

I also think a moped may be dangerous to drive here in the winter. We have a lot of rough roads and they get worse in the winter due to salt/plowing. If they are in the 1000-1500 dollar range, you are better looking at a small car. It is cold here and many people who grew up in the south don't understand that it is very different versus what you are used to in the winter. We are expecting up to 8 inches of snow for instance this weekend and wind chills today in the single digit range. I know I wouldn't want to be out driving on a moped or motorcycle in the winter. I have family who have motorcycles and they don't ride in the winter unless it is an unusually warm day.

Some of the jobs here that lead to good careers are in logistics/distribution - we are a major distribution center due to having quite a few factory/production outlets in the vicinity. Supply chain would be a good option for this. Any sort of medical training is also good. There are temp services for medical work. You can also google ProMedica to see if they have any job openings (they always do) and the University of Toledo Medical Center (UTMC) or Mercy Healthcare. All of them usually offer some entry level positions. I know a few people who work at Promedica and I've heard that you can really work your way up in that organization. A relative of mine started off there in housekeeping and now works as a nurse there after getting additional schooling.

We also have a lack of people in building trades right now and they let you apprentice in many of those fields. I know that the fire department was hiring recently. Not sure if they still are, but that would be a great place for you since they will pay for your EMT training. The Police Department as well is hiring as a lot of our older firefighters and police officers are retiring. The highway patrol also was hiring recently and they have a very high starting pay grade compared to the ones down south and they provide tuition reimbursement as well.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 12-09-2016 at 11:45 AM..

Old 12-09-2016, 11:44 AM

I DMd you some links to some places.

Will note that many young people think Toledo is boring and I'll be honest it really is in the winter lol. It would have been better to come in the late spring when things look better. But it is an affordable city and contrary to what some of the things say on this very forum, we are experiencing some growth economically after a bad stretch. There is a lot of investment in our downtown area of late and I'm hoping all the debbie downers who always complain about the city have all left lol.

I was offered a job practically immediately upon applying because there was a lack of experienced people here in my field - supply chain and I make more money than I made in Atlanta and it is cheaper here. I'm used to the winters having grown up here so they don't bother me like someone else may be bothered. So there is opportunity, it just may be harder for you since you are younger and don't have as many resources and I don't want you to think it is some easy land of milk and honey.

You can DM me any time if you have questions before or after getting here.

Last edited by residinghere2007; 12-09-2016 at 11:56 AM..

Old 12-09-2016, 02:12 PM

5,991 posts, read 8,338,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1962 View Post
Some place warm in the winter where you don't worry much about cost of weather,
Some place with a growing job market
Some place the skews toward your age group.
Some place not too expensive.

Tulsa, big Arizona cities, Florida (except Miami which has become expensive again) Texas, and North Carolina.
What about places that are super hot and especially muggy in the summer, where you'd have to worry about the cost of weather (cooling)? I feel like you're biased.....

My answer would be any place that a.) has no extreme weather, and b.) has generous welfare benefits, because you can't get far on $700 and no place to live. The military may be your best option.

Old 12-09-2016, 03:36 PM

217 posts, read 181,429 times
I've strongly considered the military for some time now, and I've even been trying to lose weight for it, but I found out recently that apparently, there's a chance I won't be accepted for at least three years due to the fact that I was diagnosed about over a year ago with social anxiety while in college and was prescribed anti-depressants for a month, although I couldn't afford it and had to take up exercising instead, which is what I was doing before..

I still need to get in touch with my previous doctor, IF I can find her, and make sure everything is clear or not on her records. By the time the three year wait period has passed, I may be juuuuust about too old to join because the cut-off age for no prior service is 25 years old.

I really wish I knew how to find an affordable, decent car for under $3,000. I just never thought of it being possible.

Old 12-09-2016, 05:31 PM

1,189 posts, read 591,777 times
I hardly ever see anyone riding a motorcycle in Indianapolis. If it were a realistic frugal option, I'm sure people would be doing it, but it's just too cold here and a patch of black ice can cause an accident. Think about carpooling.

And ask Santa for some wool socks. Hang them up to dry when you wash them and fold them to put them away--you'll get more wear out of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or