U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 05:37 PM

4,832 posts, read 10,887,085 times

Advertisements

TX, FL, AZ, OK cities I think are all sprawled out. I think North Carolina has some more urban cities that are more affordable with decent bus systems. Austin I think has an ok bus system too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 06:46 PM

217 posts, read 177,332 times
Then I either need to live someplace warmer, or I need to find a vehicle that's not too much of a burden. So much for the fun of riding a bike.

I still need to figure out what vehicle that would be, though. I don't want to make down payments on some expensive car just to not be able to find a job that can pay for both a place to live, groceries, AND my vehicle, and then end up in a situation where I get delinquent debts, a bad credit score AND not have a vehicle, and then be forced to move to another place or move back home. I also don't want to get a bad used vehicle that leads to me spending most of my time and money getting repairs for it.

I'm almost tempted to choose where I move to live based on whether or not if I can use a bicycle or moped there, but that's silly because this isn't Western Europe, and almost every place in the U.S. requires a car, and assuming that I can actually stay with my aunt, living in Toledo is a very hard thing to pass up.

I'm thinking that for a place like Ohio in the winter, and just my general preference, I would want a small SUV, but I've never seen a small SUV other than those Jeep Wranglers from the 90s, and I hear those breakdown all the time, and I don't want a full-sized SUV because those are gas-guzzlers.

Last edited by TinBo; 12-09-2016 at 06:56 PM..

Old 12-09-2016, 07:13 PM

1,170 posts, read 576,143 times
In over 40 years in Denver, I never needed 4WD. If it were me, I'd get a little Honda or Toyota with front wheel drive and have an independent mechanic inspect it. They'll go for a few hundred thousand miles and they're not overly expensive to fix. Easier on gas than an SUV, a smaller cabin to heat and cool, and a trunk where thieves can't see your belongings.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:26 PM

If only I could afford to live in Denver or some place like it and find a job. I wouldn't mind going back to Colorado.

Any specific model? I see some 2000s Honda Civics used for under $5,000 that actually look pretty nice. It's no SUV, but it'll get me to where I need to go while looking half-decent.

Old 12-09-2016, 07:40 PM

1,170 posts, read 576,143 times
I've had a Civic and a Camry--both good cars. They've been in production a long time and they're common models, making it easier to get parts. The back seat folds down on both, making more cargo room if you need it.

Somebody broadsided the Civic when I'd had it for three years. I've got just over 100,000 miles on the Camry. It's needed the brakes worked on, some suspension work, a new alternator last year, and new tires a few years ago. Nothing drastic. I've had the oil changed every 3,000 miles and I don't drive it like I stole it, which helps.

Old 12-12-2016, 12:33 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
OP, I like your Toledo idea, but I just want to put out there a little nugget for anybody else in a similar situation.

Cheyenne, Wyoming.

3.8% unemployment rate.
1 bedroom rents as low as $515 (I was there yesterday, found long lists of cheap apartments there)
1.5 hours from Denver. 45 min from Fort Collins.

Windy as all hell, but you can't have everything.

Old 12-12-2016, 01:53 PM

15,407 posts, read 7,871,041 times
I'll note that I just helped a young relative buy a car for $1500. It was an older car (early 2000s), but had decent miles (less than 120k) and a good engine/transmission.

You can find a decent car that will get you around for a few years at least in Toledo that is less than $3k.

Old 12-12-2016, 06:04 PM

I'll keep both Toledo and Cheyenne in mind for after NCCC, but I think I may just see if I can join the military instead. I'm not counting on it, but it really is my most straight-forward option.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:23 PM

6,059 posts, read 3,379,100 times
I wouldn't move unless you are gonna have a roommate. When I moved from home, I was in a relationship with someone and moved in with them. It woulda been extremely difficult on my own. I'd save up more than 700.00. Try to aim for a little over 1,000.

I live in Denton, TX and its pretty affordable here. I pay a little over 500 a month but its split with 3 people for my place. When I moved to Denton, I didn't have a job, its hard to get a job in a city you don't live in, but I had paid for my apartment and had help from my parents until I got a job about a month after I moved in, though it was tough for that month.

But really, look for roommates to start off cuz 700 or even 1,000 is not a lot when you're on your own.

Old 12-13-2016, 09:28 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times
They have a lot of cheap places to live in the USA but 700 dollars will never you nowhere fast even in Alabama or Nebraska or any state that has insanely low rent. Try to save up at least 5-10k before you move to a place. Most states the rent on a one bedroom is about least 600 a month. Trying to help you out, not kill your dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or