U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2016, 08:42 PM

60 posts, read 49,826 times

Advertisements

Hey All,

Just a bit of background, I am a 23 year old male currently traveling back and forth between DC and Philly for work. The majority of my friends currently live in the northern VA/DC area. As we all are getting somewhat older (at least in their minds, 24-25) they have recently been discussing moving farther away from the city for several reasons (cheaper housing, less crime, more friendly people (a debatable point)) to a more rural area of Virginia. We are all a very close-knit group and have been since grade-school. I would love to live near my friends, however, I am a little weary of moving away from the cities at such a young age. Among other things, I am very concerned about the nightlife aspect of living so far out, and the fact that the local population will likely be a very different group age-wise than myself.

If anyone has any advice or has tried anything similar, I would love to hear your experiences as far country living vs. city living for a young (23-25) adult.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 09:56 AM

15,504 posts, read 17,732,432 times
I have known urban couples in their 20s moving out to the country, usually to have some land/animals, that sort of thing.

If you are single, I can tell you it may be hard to meet a partner. Small rural towns may see you as an interesting novelty, but you may not find what (who) you are looking for, and once the very limited dating pool is used up, it's used up. You may find yourself perusing farmersonly.com (a dating site for rural folks). Nothing wrong with that.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:08 AM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
IMO your social life may improve to the point that it bothers you, especially if you are financially responsible.

Young folks have kids at earlier ages in rural areas, so any "single" ladies may have a kid or two on their hips. Church is a bigger deal. Drinking yourself stupid is a common pastime as well.

If you are okay with all of that (I wasn't when I was your age, but I'm okay with it now), then give it a shot.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:17 AM

374 posts, read 345,817 times
Big mistake. If you do it though, you deserve the boredom and hellish commute that comes with it.

All of my friends that have moved 25 mins outside of the Baltimore Beltway - it's like they aged 30 years and when I say that I don't mean they aged well like a nice bottle of wine - they're literally boring.

If you don't mind potluck cookouts with crappy food, weekend trips to Wal Mart, and neighbors named Vern have at it.

You really want to surround yourself among people who put Trump in office? That alone should tell you the whole idea that schools out in the country being better is a complete myth.

Yikes.

Old 11-28-2016, 11:35 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodachrome919 View Post
Hey All,

Just a bit of background, I am a 23 year old male currently traveling back and forth between DC and Philly for work. The majority of my friends currently live in the northern VA/DC area. As we all are getting somewhat older (at least in their minds, 24-25) they have recently been discussing moving farther away from the city for several reasons (cheaper housing, less crime, more friendly people (a debatable point)) to a more rural area of Virginia. We are all a very close-knit group and have been since grade-school. I would love to live near my friends, however, I am a little weary of moving away from the cities at such a young age. Among other things, I am very concerned about the nightlife aspect of living so far out, and the fact that the local population will likely be a very different group age-wise than myself.

If anyone has any advice or has tried anything similar, I would love to hear your experiences as far country living vs. city living for a young (23-25) adult.

Thanks!
Some things to think about...

A) Would you commute from "the countryside"? to D.C./Philly for work? If so how far would you be willing to drive and approximately how much would that cost you in gas/car maintenance?

B) You mention that they want cheaper housing, less crime, friendlier people etc. How do you feel yourself? You need to make decisions that benefit you.

C) It will likely will be much more difficult to meet someone who you can relate to. Does not mean it is impossible but if you're a college educated professional seeking the same in a partner statistically you will have a better chance in an urban area like Philly or D.C.

D) How often do your friends hang out? How would that be impacted if your friend group lived in different areas?

E) What do you like to do for fun/free time? How would that be impacted by living in rural Virginia?

ETC.

Old 11-28-2016, 07:19 PM

60 posts, read 49,826 times
Really appreciate all the feedback! Mine is somewhat of an odd situation...I am actually a consultant based out of DC but I work in Philly Mon-Thurs; the company pays for the train to/from DC each week, so the only real 'commute' would be twice a week to and from the 'country' to Union Station in DC, so not a huge determining factor as far as time/commuting costs.

As far as fitting in with the culture, my friends and I are all very 'conservative' I would say, but definitely enjoy 'drinking ourselves stupid' on occasion. While I understand the draw of the city when one is single, because I have a GF of over a year now, the benefits of city life really don't present themselves to me as obviously as others on this board. From my friends points of view (and increasingly mine as well) there really seems to be much less of a draw to the city once you are in a committed relationship...just a thought.

Would really like to hear from anyone else who has actually made the change, or knows others who have; and when I say 'out to the country' I mean pretty far out, as in maybe 1-2 hours outside of the city (DC).

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2016, 08:30 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,420,410 times
All you (n)ever wanted to know about Ridgecrest

My epic journey chronicling my time and escape from a pop. 25K isolated town 3 hours from Los Angeles.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:32 PM

539 posts, read 404,678 times
Unless you wanna settle down and have kids, don't do it. Even then, don't do it. Never settle !

Old 11-30-2016, 05:50 AM

13,237 posts, read 17,776,004 times
You are 23. How long do you expect this consulting gig and the current set up to last?

Old 12-01-2016, 08:32 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,826,606 times
Rural America isn't full of the cast from Deliverance. The only people I know who live in the country and don't have college degrees are over 60. Every farmer I know has a college degree.

An hour or two outside of DC isn't that big of a deal. Most places wouldn't even be considered rural, they would be suburbs. And unless you move to WV, you will be close to other cities.

Your friends are only the norm:
Why More Millennials Are Buying Homes in the Suburbs | US News Real Estate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or