U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2016, 03:28 PM

18 posts, read 12,098 times

Advertisements

They can be a diverse metro area, I just want an area in the larger metro that isn't super diverse. I hear Houston is really diverse but aren't there areas that aren't too diverse? How about San Diego? I think Orange County would be a nice, I will look into that. Thanks again for all your responses! I love them! Keep them coming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2016, 03:50 PM

572 posts, read 570,430 times
San Diego or Seattle

Old 11-28-2016, 06:33 PM

22,205 posts, read 23,725,878 times
Miami fits all of your criteria. Major top 12 city, 70% hispanic within the city so not that diverse, right at the beach, warm weather, a bit materialistic, and lots of things to do.

Old 11-28-2016, 06:44 PM

7,744 posts, read 4,592,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Miami fits all of your criteria. Major top 12 city, 70% hispanic within the city so not that diverse, right at the beach, warm weather, a bit materialistic, and lots of things to do.
I like what you did there.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:47 AM

29,955 posts, read 27,459,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oycrumbler View Post
miami fits all of your criteria. Major top 12 city, 70% hispanic within the city so not that diverse, right at the beach, warm weather, a bit materialistic, and lots of things to do.
+10

Old 11-29-2016, 07:01 AM

4,880 posts, read 3,004,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Yeah, that's probably not the type of homogenity the op was referring to.

Old 11-29-2016, 08:56 AM

2,997 posts, read 2,155,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplesInAACab View Post
They can be a diverse metro area, I just want an area in the larger metro that isn't super diverse. I hear Houston is really diverse but aren't there areas that aren't too diverse?
What is your definition of "too diverse"? Can you give a number? More specifically, a percentage point? Would a 10% minority population be more diverse than what you are looking for?

There are probably some neighborhoods in Houston that are nearly 100% populated with one race or another, but it won't be too long of a walk to a more diverse area. Whenever you go out in public in Houston metro area, there's about a 99% chance you'll see people of all races, ethnicities, nationalities out and about taking care of their business. There's no way you can avoid it. It's part of the culture of Houston. That's one of my favorite things about Houston, is that the people come from everywhere, all over the world.

When I lived in Indiana in the 60's and 70's , I never met anybody that wasn't white or black or from Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, or Alabama. I never heard the word diversity used in Indiana.

I would say the least diverse places in Houston would be in bars, nightclubs, and churches.

Last edited by Ivory Lee Spurlock; 11-29-2016 at 09:09 AM..

Old 11-29-2016, 04:14 PM

3,676 posts, read 1,553,795 times
Again, it depends on what kind of "diversity" you're talking about. For example, NYC isn't politically diverse, yet it IS racially diverse. There are many categories of "diversity". From what I'm reading, you're going to be hard pressed to find a top-10 population city that is politically diverse. The closest to it I can think of is Jacksonville.

Old 11-29-2016, 09:36 PM

915 posts, read 554,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
Again, it depends on what kind of "diversity" you're talking about. For example, NYC isn't politically diverse, yet it IS racially diverse. There are many categories of "diversity". From what I'm reading, you're going to be hard pressed to find a top-10 population city that is politically diverse. The closest to it I can think of is Jacksonville.
You can definitely find pockets of Republicans in NYC. Staten Island, parts of Brooklyn and Queens are pretty red.

Read the first post again and it should be obvious that diversity is a code word for racial minorities. OP singled out white people when discussing political leaning.

I just have a hard time believing that someone who's that nervous around minorities would want to live in a large, top ten city. It is easy enough for rich white folks to segregate into exclusive suburbs in all of the large metros but to make it an explicit requirement for the city is just bizarre in this day and age.

Old 11-29-2016, 11:33 PM

18 posts, read 12,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
You can definitely find pockets of Republicans in NYC. Staten Island, parts of Brooklyn and Queens are pretty red.

Read the first post again and it should be obvious that diversity is a code word for racial minorities. OP singled out white people when discussing political leaning.

I just have a hard time believing that someone who's that nervous around minorities would want to live in a large, top ten city. It is easy enough for rich white folks to segregate into exclusive suburbs in all of the large metros but to make it an explicit requirement for the city is just bizarre in this day and age.
It's not an explicit requirement it's a preference actually. And there can be minorities I just don't want to be the minority. I thought usually in most metros there are super diverse areas and not so diverse areas. I want to live in a not so diverse area, but I know all metros are pretty diverse but aren't there not so diverse areas?

So far I have Seattle, San Diego, and Orange County to look into.

What do you guys think about Dever, Phoenix, and Northside of Chicago? I know that knocks off some of my preferences. Any other ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.