Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 01:00 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times

Advertisements

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 04:18 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Most people from the Bay Area move somewhere else within CA or elsewhere in the west like OR, WA, CO or TX. Since you negated those places and have an aversion to cold weather, you either have to make concessions or stay put.

Old 12-01-2016, 05:04 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,509,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veeplus View Post
We've been hopping around over the past 8 years and have lived in Durham, Atlanta, Seattle (also Bellevue), and now San Francisco. We like SF but are sick of how overpriced everything is and obviously there is no way to buy a house here. We'd like to find a city where we can settle down for a little while. We've been researching cities online for MONTHS but are still struggling because it's such an important decision (we've moved around so much already and it will be costly/bad for career/difficult to move yet again if we don't like the place, especially after buying a house).

Here are our preferred criteria and some information about us:
1) Weather is very important since we love spending time outside. I can't stand cold winters (like sub freezing) and summers that are so hot/humid that you can't go outside for months at a time don't really work either. In general we prefer warmer weather though. SF actually isn't great because it's constantly foggy/windy in the summer.. need some more sunshine

2) Walkability/transit/biking is very important. We've gotten used to not having to drive anywhere within the city and would like to maintain that. We do own a car but only use it for going out of the city or running car-required errands like going to Lowe's.

3) We are into good food and enjoy drinking so a foodie culture would be good (without being overly pretentious and overpriced like some of SF is becoming). Diverse, authentic ethnic cuisines and a range of cheap to expensive food options is ideal. Also want to be able to buy fresh seafood and produce any time of year.

4) Within a few hours of the city we like camping, going to parks and lakes/rivers (for picnicking, hiking, canoeing, etc.), and wine tasting. Overall enjoy nature so we don't to be somewhere surrounded by barren wasteland or just more city/suburbia.

5) We enjoy festivals (e.g. ethnic fests, state fairs, food/drinks fests), markets (e.g. farmers, flea), performances (e.g. musicals, comedy), live music (the chill kind, not super overcrowded concerts or festivals), and random events (e.g. outdoor movies). The city we move to should have a decent amount of events/activities year-round.

6) Other hobbies are board games, cats, video games, movies/TV/books (especially scifi/horror/fantasy), DIY food/drink (e.g. jerky, pickling, etc), DIY crafts (e.g. 3d printing, knitting), casual biking, cooking. We're on the nerdy side. Would be cool if there are some like-minded people.

7) In terms of vibe, we are laid back. The fast-paced, suit/stiletto wearing, materialistic, clubbing, NY-style culture is totally unappealing to us. More nerds/hipsters preferred over bros.

8) We are politically left-leaning, and while we appreciate diversity of opinions we prefer not to live somewhere with a large concentration of people who are not accepting of other religions, sexual orientations, ethnicities, ways of life, etc. Don't think we could bring ourselves to live in a county that voted Trump.

9) Our families are near Raleigh, North Carolina and Columbus, Ohio. Would be nice to be a bit closer to them (but not too close but not a requirement.

10) Relatedly, being close to a good airport is a definite plus. In addition to being easier to visit family, we like to travel and plan to do it fairly often.

11) We want to live in a neighborhood with some soul to it (both in looks/architecture and vibe/things to do), definitely not treeless cookie cutter suburbs. Want to be within city limits but have a backyard (even if it's small).

12) I am in tech so some availability of tech jobs would be great. BF is in accounting so theoretically should be able to find a job anywhere.

13) Obviously affordability is a factor, but we're fine with a small house and are willing to pay a little extra for good location. Anywhere will be wayyy cheaper than SF

14) There are friendly people everywhere, but it's easier to make friends some places than others (e.g. see Seattle Freeze). We're on the introverted side and would prefer to live somewhere where there are plenty of people around our age that are open to making new friendships (not just sticking to existing groups).

15) We have a dream to start a small business one day so ideally we'll find some place where that is relatively easy to do.

16) Finally, at some point in the future we will probably start a family so while this isn't a priority right now, wherever we move shouldn't be terrible for raising a family.

I know it's a lot and there's no such thing as the perfect city that will fulfill all of this, but hoping for something close.

Some that we have thought about, along with their top issues based on what we've heard/read, are listed below.
EDIT: this list does NOT mean that we have eliminated all these cities. Merely trying to start conversations about pros/cons and learn more about them. We are well aware that we will not be able to find a city that meets all our ideal criteria. It's just a question of which city meets them the closest.

*Sacramento - not a top city, not enough to do?, not foodie enough?, hard to find tech jobs, prices going up quickly, airport not great. However this is a top contender for us right now given the weather and its proximity to the Bay Area.
*Austin - too hot/humid, heard that it's already getting overcrowded
*Houston - too hot/humid, traffic, not sure if it's hip/cool enough, too 'Texas'
*Boulder/Denver - too cold
*Columbus/Cleveland - not hip/cool enough, too cold
*Atlanta - not walkable, landlocked
*Savannah/Charleston - not big enough cities
*LA/Santa Monica/Long Beach - smog/pollution, not walkable, traffic, expensive except in sketchy areas
*San Diego - expensive, also we visited and the vibe seemed kind of 'bro-ish' but maybe we didn't get a good enough sense
*Portland/Seattle - weather too gloomy/not enough sun
*Chicago/DC/Boston/Minneapolis/Philly/Pittsburg/other northeast cities - think they're too cold, but open to being proven wrong; fast-paced east coast vibe?
*Richmond/VA Beach - not big enough cities?
*RTP/Charlotte - not big/hip enough? Not walkable?
*Albuquerque - too inland, not great for diverse food, may as well move to Sacramento if we decide on this size city

Any advice is GREATLY appreciated. I didn't see any other threads that covered our specific criteria but if you know of some past threads that might be helpful, please point me to them.

Thanks in advance!
While I do hope you find the place that works for you, I do have to say #8 speaks volumes. I see such remarks here on C-D almost daily and, as a Conservative, I resent being labeled in such an untrue, biased manner. Like so many, you say you love "diversity", yet you couldn't bear to live "in a county that voted for Trump". You're either for "diversity" or not. You can't have it both ways. THIS is what's dividing our nation. I'm an Independent Conservative, yet I can't stand Trump. I've in a truly politically moderate metro area (Charlotte). I have friends and family who are mostly conservative, but many are also liberal. We get along fine, though we disagree on some things. Now, THAT'S diversity. Many left-leaners would say I'm a bigot simply by virtue of being white, male, and Christian without even knowing what they're talking about. Is that not intolerant? I'm so, so sorry if I seem to be getting off of the main topic. But I do think some liberals, because of the stereotypes and biases that they buy into that are simply not true, keeps them from getting to know some really, really nice, wonderful people. And it's a real shame that so many really have no idea what true diversity and tolerance is, not just when you're being agreed with. So when you do go to looking into where to live, don't even look at who voted for who. THAT is what causes the issues we have today. "You see those conservatives over there? They're your enemy. Those bigoted, racist people who want to live in the 19th century". Divide and conquer. I truly hope you don't settle in an area that is so liberal that you can't truly experience diversity as it really is, not that we're all just enemies. No matter what, I hope wherever you end up, you guys will be happy

Old 12-01-2016, 06:27 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
While I do hope you find the place that works for you, I do have to say #8 speaks volumes. I see such remarks here on C-D almost daily and, as a Conservative, I resent being labeled in such an untrue, biased manner. Like so many, you say you love "diversity", yet you couldn't bear to live "in a county that voted for Trump". You're either for "diversity" or not. You can't have it both ways. THIS is what's dividing our nation. I'm an Independent Conservative, yet I can't stand Trump. I've in a truly politically moderate metro area (Charlotte). I have friends and family who are mostly conservative, but many are also liberal. We get along fine, though we disagree on some things. Now, THAT'S diversity. Many left-leaners would say I'm a bigot simply by virtue of being white, male, and Christian without even knowing what they're talking about. Is that not intolerant? I'm so, so sorry if I seem to be getting off of the main topic. But I do think some liberals, because of the stereotypes and biases that they buy into that are simply not true, keeps them from getting to know some really, really nice, wonderful people. And it's a real shame that so many really have no idea what true diversity and tolerance is, not just when you're being agreed with. So when you do go to looking into where to live, don't even look at who voted for who. THAT is what causes the issues we have today. "You see those conservatives over there? They're your enemy. Those bigoted, racist people who want to live in the 19th century". Divide and conquer. I truly hope you don't settle in an area that is so liberal that you can't truly experience diversity as it really is, not that we're all just enemies. No matter what, I hope wherever you end up, you guys will be happy
You should consider what she actually wrote in the thread so far, because it seems like you have some pretty selective reading so far. Also, she said none of these are a dealbreaker. So with those in mind, what are your suggestions?

Old 12-02-2016, 04:01 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,673,639 times
Maybe the OP should consider a different country. Lisbon would fit nicely with most of the criteria.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:41 PM

15 posts, read 13,174 times
Look at Historic Stone Mountain Georgia (within the city limits ONLY)... 30083

Just google Historic Village Stone Mountain and the Stone Mountain Police Department service page:

Services

The offer a free watch service and you can find out about golf cart permits. You will be able to by a house if you sell yours in SF and still have plenty of money left in your pocket. Also, google Your DeKalb Farmer's Market and Downtown Decatur... both of these "attractions" are close to this very safe, pocketed area.

Unfortunately, the rest of stone mountain and greater Atlanta is sketchy.

Coming from SF if Gay Friendly is important, check out this article:
gavoice.com/next-georgia-lgbt-mecca-stone-mountain

Good Luck!

Old 12-04-2016, 10:44 PM

15 posts, read 13,174 times
Oh... I forgot to mention that this area is Historic Downtown Stone Mountain is walking distance to Stone Mountain Park...just google that... you will see it has all the outdoorsyness you need right in your neighborhood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.