Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 02:11 PM

811 posts, read 887,463 times

Advertisements

^^^LOL...yes, the Browns hardly qualify as a "Pro" team. 0-12 so far!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 02:20 PM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,415,167 times
The most exciting, exhilarating and "lit" football games I've been to have mostly been College Football, and that's before AND after games. As for living in the Birmingham Metro Area, Tuscaloosa is an hour away, and Atlanta is an hour and a half; Baron's games seem interesting also.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:25 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,441,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
So it seems that in lieu of professional sports teams, many people go to watch University based teams. It is just different for me because unless you attended or graduated from a University, you wouldn't ordinarily go to a sporting game. But it makes sense for the average joe to go to a university football game, if there are no pro teams for hours away.
Well at least with SC, while SC is becoming more transient, and while there's more colleges to choose from (I didn't go to Carolina or Clemson), most everyone in SC is still affiliated with either in some way or another.

So you may not be a fan or either per se, but you'll still go join in the festivities. I actually know one girl who is from New Jersey, yet every time I looked, she was at a Carolina game with friends. This situation actually isn't unique.

Those two just straight up rule. If you move to SC, you'll eventually make friends with someone affiliated with either, and you'll eventually find yourself watching one live at least once. Just how it is around these parts.

Generally, I see what you're saying though. For instance if I move to Raleigh, you're not going to find me at an NC State game for fun.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:40 PM

3,118 posts, read 5,353,978 times
A lot of people follow the teams closest to their city and also local colleges and even high schools. High school football is HUGE where I grew up. Whole newscasts were devoted to it. It's definitely not he same as having good pro teams though.

Last edited by jman07; 11-29-2016 at 03:26 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 02:59 PM

74 posts, read 130,734 times
I lived in Des Moines for 6 years - no professional or major college sports. BUT, two things I absolutely loved while there:

1. Minor League Baseball (AAA I-Cubs). Compared to major league events, there is something awesome about deciding 10 minutes before a game starts that you want to go, buying an $8 ticket and having a fun, relaxing summer evening.
2. Minor league hockey - the Des Moines Bucks specifically - this is basically lowest level of professional hockey - high school kids essentially...but the games are incredibly intense and a a lot of fun. Also...$1 beers.

A lot of passionate college fans as well of U-Iowa (Go Hawks!) and Iowa State (boo!). Not to mention Des Moines is <5 hours from Kansas City, Minneapolis, Chicago and St. Louis...so there are lots of great weekend road-trip options to watch pro games.

Old 11-29-2016, 04:33 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
To answer your specific question many cities without pro teams do have major college athletic teams. Too many examples to list here, but the number of cities that have a lot of pro and major college athletic teams is pretty small. Of course, LA, The Bay Area, Chicago (to some extent), Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Miami, Detroit (Ann Arbor), Phoenix, Seattle, Twin Cities, Denver, Pittsburgh (all the above top25 markets) are cities that offer both.

I did a study of pro sports a few years ago. I only included NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL. Some results:

Largest markets without all four sports: Houston (NHL), Seattle (NBA, NHL), San Diego (NBA, NHL)

Largest markets without the NFL: St. Louis, Orlando, Sacramento, Portland, Columbus

Largest markets without MLB: Orlando, Sacramento, Charlotte, Portland, Indianapolis

Largest markets without NHL: Houston, Seattle, San Diego, Cleveland, Orlando

Largest markets without NBA: Seattle, St. Louis, San Diego, Tampa, Pittsburgh

Largest markets with only one major pro team: Orlando, Sacramento, Portland, Columbus

Largest markets with zero major pro teams: Las Vegas, Virgina Beach/Norfolk

Smallest NFL market: Green Bay*, New Orleans

Smallest MLB market: Milwaukee

*does not include Milwaukee

Please note: Some of the markets may have shifted in population rank in the past few years.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 11-29-2016 at 04:46 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 05:26 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,923,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
To answer your specific question many cities without pro teams do have major college athletic teams. Too many examples to list here, but the number of cities that have a lot of pro and major college athletic teams is pretty small. Of course, LA, The Bay Area, Chicago (to some extent), Houston, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Miami, Detroit (Ann Arbor), Phoenix, Seattle, Twin Cities, Denver, Pittsburgh (all the above top25 markets) are cities that offer both.

I did a study of pro sports a few years ago. I only included NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL. Some results:

Largest markets without all four sports: Houston (NHL), Seattle (NBA, NHL), San Diego (NBA, NHL)

Largest markets without the NFL: St. Louis, Orlando, Sacramento, Portland, Columbus

Largest markets without MLB: Orlando, Sacramento, Charlotte, Portland, Indianapolis

Largest markets without NHL: Houston, Seattle, San Diego, Cleveland, Orlando

Largest markets without NBA: Seattle, St. Louis, San Diego, Tampa, Pittsburgh

Largest markets with only one major pro team: Orlando, Sacramento, Portland, Columbus

Largest markets with zero major pro teams: Las Vegas, Virgina Beach/Norfolk

Smallest NFL market: Green Bay*, New Orleans

Smallest MLB market: Milwaukee

*does not include Milwaukee

Please note: Some of the markets may have shifted in population rank in the past few years.
And Vegas just got an NHL team.

Old 11-29-2016, 05:50 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,863,546 times
Whoops missed that one! This is an old list that I have been trying to keep current. Thanks for that addition. And I believe Vegas is still a possibility for the Raiders, despite their recent on field success.

Last edited by pnwguy2; 11-29-2016 at 06:08 PM..

Old 11-29-2016, 05:51 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I wonder if the Tidewater area could ever support a pro team.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:06 PM

979 posts, read 2,092,631 times
I'm sure a lot have a dislike for soccer, but I consider the MLS part of the major league pro league scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.