U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2016, 12:36 PM

425 posts, read 295,777 times

Advertisements

This may seem silly, but when moving away from Cleveland (with three professional sports franchises) to a State (Kentucky) which has zero, I lost a good chunk of entertainment.

My question is, what do people in cities or states without a Professional sports franchise do if they want to watch live game?? Are college sports teams more popular? Do they actually attend University sports team games? In Cleveland, I did not know anyone who regularly attended a Cleveland State basketball game or Kent State football game unless they were an alumnus or student.

Just something I was curious about, and wonder what everyone else thinks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2016, 12:45 PM

163 posts, read 88,225 times
It depends on the location. Some places have college teams that are so elite and fanbases that are so wild they eclipse anything in professional sports. Gainesville Florida would be an example. I've been to many professional sports teams games and none of them can compare to a Florida vs Florida State game in the Swamp (the gators stadium). Any large SEC football colleges that are known for winning lots of bowl games and being dominant, all the games>>>any pro football team games except the Super Bowl, especially when they play SEC rivals. College basketball in NC is better than any pro teams games even deep in the playoffs. When Duke and UNC go at it, it's just crazy.

The University of Kentucky is an elite basketball team with a large, hardcore wild group of fans. I would be willing to bet attending a game when they play any of there rivals>>>any cavilers regular season game. A lot of the college players are local guys from in state who truly love the team they play for and come from multiple generations of hardcore fans ,and they are trying hard to be there best so they can get in the NBA and the refs let them play ruff. They put it all on the line and really play there hearts out. The fans really love these guys and many fans are 2nd or 3r generation hardcore fans including many of the kids that attend the university

Old 11-29-2016, 12:46 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,405,651 times
Columbus has the Bluejackets (NHL), the Crew (MSL) and then Clippers (Triple A baseball). Having rushed the field after the Buckeye win over Michigan game this Saturday I can confidently say that collegiate sports can be every bit as fun if not better than pro sports. We had a record attendance of over 110,000 in the horseshoe for the game on Saturday. Sorry but I rather see the Buckeyes or any top 10 college football team play over the Browns or Bengals any day.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:51 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,977,569 times
As has been said, it depends on the location. When I lived in Alabama, Alabama and Auburn football were pretty much religions down there, and filled the void. Sure, there was Atlanta for the weekends, but it wasn't that big of a thing.

Here in Delaware, we also have homegrown collegiate sports (UD, DSU) with a decent following, as well as a developmental league (87ers), but with Philadelphia being so close (and Baltimore, to a lesser extent), it's very easy to catch any of the Big 4 games any day of the week. Consequently, the pro games are much more popular here.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:57 PM

5,122 posts, read 3,890,629 times
There's no professional sports in SC. We either have to travel to Atlanta or to Charlotte, which most of the state can get to in at least 3 hours.

Yet, we have Carolina and Clemson football which reign supreme anyway. Both have 80,000+ seat stadiums, rabid fanbases, and tradition.

Carolina and Clemson baseball is also typically very good, and basketball is on the rise. The SC women's team is actually #1 in the nation in attendance. The average attendance for the women's team is, believe it or not, actually higher than some NBA teams.

While SC is all for the Panthers, you don't really see universal love for anyone else. The next closest thing would probably be the Braves. I doubt most SClinians even know the Carolina Hurricanes exist.

So while we have no pro sports, Clemson and Carolina get the job done, and ATL and CLT aren't too far to enjoy the Panthers, Braves, and Hornets if you want.

Charleston, Columbia, Greenville, and Myrtle Beach also all have baseball teams, which even though they're all single A, still provide a good evening out of the house for cheap.

Old 11-29-2016, 12:58 PM

3,623 posts, read 1,540,952 times
The location matters. There are no pro sports teams in SC, but in Charlotte's SC suburban counties you can easily attend an NFL or NBA game. Same with KY's northern counties access to Cincy's NFL and MLB games.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:57 PM

56,698 posts, read 81,017,273 times
I agree with those that refer to major college sports. They can be just as enjoyable, if not more so than pro sports. Syracuse Basketball can get as many as 34,000 people for big home games and Football can be big when they are good or if a very good team comes to town. There's also AAA Baseball, AHL Hockey, pro indoor soccer and some of the other college sports such as Lacrosse, Men's Soccer and lately even Women's Basketball(at times) can get decent crowds.

Old 11-29-2016, 01:58 PM

13,238 posts, read 24,446,503 times
I lived in Spokane, WA, and while people in that area still follow the Mariners and Seahawks (4 hours away), Spokane has the Class-A Indians (baseball), Gonzaga (basketball), Shock (arena football), Chiefs (junior hockey), and EWU, WSU, and U of I football (or basketball) to watch.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:05 PM

425 posts, read 295,777 times
So it seems that in lieu of professional sports teams, many people go to watch University based teams. It is just different for me because unless you attended or graduated from a University, you wouldn't ordinarily go to a sporting game. But it makes sense for the average joe to go to a university football game, if there are no pro teams for hours away.

Old 11-29-2016, 02:08 PM

21,339 posts, read 21,917,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
This may seem silly, but when moving away from Cleveland (with three professional sports franchises) to a State (Kentucky) which has zero, I lost a good chunk of entertainment.

My question is, what do people in cities or states without a Professional sports franchise do if they want to watch live game?? Are college sports teams more popular? Do they actually attend University sports team games? In Cleveland, I did not know anyone who regularly attended a Cleveland State basketball game or Kent State football game unless they were an alumnus or student.

Just something I was curious about, and wonder what everyone else thinks.

I thought Cleveland just had two teams, the Cavs and the baseball team
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or