U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:07 PM

1,230 posts, read 2,839,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Arkansas. Anywhere in Arkansas.
What exactly are you biasing your opinion on? Have you every been here? Have you ever been to Northwest Arkansas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 06:13 PM

15,989 posts, read 30,667,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Mississippi, most parts of the Appalacian mountains, Alabama, most of South Carolina, I could go on. Atlanta, Charlotte, and other cities are exceptions, not the rule.
Maybe your backwardsO_o....not everyone who happens to live like you is exactly backwards.

Let me guess.

Working hard on a farm all day,wearing cheap hand-me-down clothes, and sometimes living with electricty. Maybe they don't want to spend thousands of dollars just to live in a big expensive condo surrounded by traffic and other big buildings. Maybe they like there space and want peace.

If the majority of Americans think this type of lifestyle is backwards; maybe America is backwards itself.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:38 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,786,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I didn't mean examples of states,I meant individual situations.
My own personal observations? Confederate flags on display, meeting people who think the stories in the old testament are "real", racial slurs, mostly chain food and very little arts/culture, people who have not traveled beyond their towns/states and have extremely limited experience with other cultures/countries, lack of education. Plus there is very little to do in many parts of the south.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:47 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,205,537 times
Quote:
My own personal observations? Confederate flags on display, meeting people who think the stories in the old testament are "real", racial slurs, mostly chain food and very little arts/culture, people who have not traveled beyond their towns/states and have extremely limited experience with other cultures/countries, lack of education. Plus there is very little to do in many parts of the south.
Buddy I've seen most of that stuff right here in good ol' Philadelphia...
And the part about the old testament,why wouldn't they be real?

Old 03-29-2008, 08:21 PM

16,945 posts, read 22,257,781 times
Quote:
Why do confederate battle flags bother you? The Civil War was as much over states' rights as slavery. You can't make any generalizations based on that. People's reasons for choosing a side in that war were and are as numerous as there are people almost. I wouldn't and don't assume people are racist or something like that because of that flag. You can only tell if you know them well. Many of the Old testament stories have been proven true based on archaeological evidence, others have not. Regardless, it's rather backwards to trash another person's religion. As for not having traveled much, who cares? If a person is happy with their own culture and locale, why would it bother you? It's rather wasteful anyways and bad for the environment to needlessly travel. As for "little to do" in the south (and I suspect you're actually referring to rural areas in general) there is plenty to do, it just may not be what you want to do. You may consider "things to do" as city stuff, such as art/overpriced restaurants/other materialistic stuff, but plenty of others consider "things to do" such as hunting, fishing, trapping, gardening, etc., as much preferable to city stuff.

There's a very strong argument that living a simpler life is far more forward thinking than the materialistic and far from sustainable way of life dominant in urban areas right now.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Many of the Old testament stories have been proven true based on archaeological evidence, others have not. Regardless, it's rather backwards to trash another person's religion. As for "little to do" in the south (and I suspect you're actually referring to rural areas in general) there is plenty to do, it just may not be what you want to do. You may consider "things to do" as city stuff, such as art/overpriced restaurants/other materialistic stuff, but plenty of others consider "things to do" such as hunting, fishing, trapping, gardening, etc., as much preferable to city stuff.

There's a very strong argument that living a simpler life is far more forward thinking than the materialistic and far from sustainable way of life dominant in urban areas right now.
Well said and then some!

Old 03-30-2008, 10:40 AM

2 posts, read 4,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
Which US states would you consider "backward"...either by personal experience or reputation?
Every state I've visited is backward. California is the worst, except for the beach.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:03 PM

1,965 posts, read 5,786,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Why do confederate battle flags bother you? The Civil War was as much over states' rights as slavery. You can't make any generalizations based on that. People's reasons for choosing a side in that war were and are as numerous as there are people almost. I wouldn't and don't assume people are racist or something like that because of that flag. You can only tell if you know them well. Many of the Old testament stories have been proven true based on archaeological evidence, others have not. Regardless, it's rather backwards to trash another person's religion. As for not having traveled much, who cares? If a person is happy with their own culture and locale, why would it bother you? It's rather wasteful anyways and bad for the environment to needlessly travel. As for "little to do" in the south (and I suspect you're actually referring to rural areas in general) there is plenty to do, it just may not be what you want to do. You may consider "things to do" as city stuff, such as art/overpriced restaurants/other materialistic stuff, but plenty of others consider "things to do" such as hunting, fishing, trapping, gardening, etc., as much preferable to city stuff.

Hey, if living with uneducated religious zealots who haven't seen much of the world is your cup of tea, knock yourself out. I personally find such people pleasant, but incredibly dull.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:01 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,385,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Oh I forgot to exclude the Amish,it's the 'regular everyday' people that are the most backwards!
Youve got to be kidding me! There is not way Philly( although the place is not perfect) is more backwards than the rest of Pennsylvania.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Sweetkisses* View Post
Youve got to be kidding me! There is not way Philly( although the place is not perfect) is more backwards than the rest of Pennsylvania.
You must live in one of the better areas because I've lived in different parts of PA and here in my part of Philly is about as backwards as some stereotypes of the south
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or