Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:32 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincetonTBoy View Post
Arkansas is backward.
Depends on what you mean by backwards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 08:34 PM

2,915 posts, read 3,515,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The A-Team View Post
Like he said, DEFINITELY to each his own!!!
Actually, most people I have talked to around the country think that way! The problem is Hollywood and the moral values that the place exude and the "I am better than you because I am from California" attitude that turn people off.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 PM

Location: Originally Fayetteville, Arkansas/ now Seattle, Washington!
1,047 posts, read 3,946,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
Actually, most people I have talked to around the country think that way! The problem is Hollywood and the moral values that the place exude and the "I am better than you because I am from California" attitude that turn people off.
Well we all have different experiences. Mine have been just the opposite.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:00 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Almost all of the South.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:39 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Almost all of the South.
Examples ?

Old 03-29-2008, 09:05 AM

10,062 posts, read 14,434,667 times
I think a "backwards" mentality is a result of a combination of factors such as lack of education, lack of curiosity, satisfaction with what has been deemed "the norm" for generations, bigotry, and in some cases hypocrisy.

All areas in the United States (and world) have people such as this. I've seen "backwards" thinking people in Brooklyn, NY. I rented apartments for 4 years in the Williamsburg neighborhood in Brooklyn, and some of the old-school Italian families (no offense at ALL to anyone who is Italian) were so isolated in their thinking that going to Manhattan was unthinkable! And Manhattan was 5 minutes away--yet it was a world away due to the "wall" they had built around them. Some of the landlords (in the same category) that I dealt with were the most racist people I've ever met. They thought Asians were neat and clean, gay people were sometimes considered "beautifiers" of an apt, whereas Latinos, African Americans, and anyone deemed "creative or riske," were thought of as a threat or never could live on their street, or ever, in their building.

I'm originally from Tennessee, and have seen on the whole, more "backward-thinking" people there, than most areas I've lived in. I've lived in Tucson, AZ, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Brooklyn, and now Stamford, CT. I've seen a lot of backwards-people in upstate New York (surprising to some), upstate Connecticut, New Hampshire, Maine, and of course the southeastern US.

I also think there are large pockets of "backward-thinking people" in any city and rural environment, equally. It's really a state of mind, or a level of thinking.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:13 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
--"backward"----

It many times gets defined by who it is that is living a lifestyle.

If a person lives his whole life on land in a rural area ( a simple life) people call them "backwards"

Yet, if a "yuppie" couple proclaim they want to move from a big city to a similar location and start living a "simple life" or use the phrase----"living off the land" ---they are not considered " backwards" by some of the same accusers.

Strange , isn't it ?

Old 03-29-2008, 09:22 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,187,823 times
a farmer farms with old fashioned ideas and folks consider him "backward"

Another farmer does the exact same thing, but has a sign that says " ORGANIC" at the end of his driveway, and suddenly the same people consider him "progressive"

Strange, isn't it ?

Old 03-29-2008, 09:51 AM

1,969 posts, read 6,390,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
Examples ?
Mississippi, most parts of the Appalacian mountains, Alabama, most of South Carolina, I could go on. Atlanta, Charlotte, and other cities are exceptions, not the rule.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:32 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDog View Post
Mississippi, most parts of the Appalacian mountains, Alabama, most of South Carolina, I could go on. Atlanta, Charlotte, and other cities are exceptions, not the rule.
I didn't mean examples of states,I meant individual situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.