Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2010, 02:56 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times

Advertisements

I would think Tennessee would on the list of the best roads because they spend alot of money a year working on them.

(CNN) -- Before you take a road trip this summer, check out which routes could make your journey a smooth one and which ones have the potential for trouble.

Kansas, Wisconsin and Montana have the best roads in the country, according to a list compiled by Reader's Digest.

List ranks best, deadliest U.S. roads - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2010, 04:53 AM

3,018 posts, read 3,547,003 times
I wish they would've broken it down further into the deadliest stretches of highway.

My wife just came back from defensive driving class last night and they said I-35 between San Antonio and Austin is one of the worst in the country.

Wonder if that's true.

Old 03-19-2010, 04:06 PM

389 posts, read 1,091,865 times
"Pennsylvania roads 'in general'". Amen. And I swear they have been working on the Turnpike since I was a kid. I'm now 30 and the Turnpike is still horrible.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:09 PM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torresdale View Post
"Pennsylvania roads 'in general'". Amen. And I swear they have been working on the Turnpike since I was a kid. I'm now 30 and the Turnpike is still horrible.
That's because they've been reconstructing the Turnpike generally from west to east. Most of the highway between the Ohio state line and the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel either has been, or is being, reconstructed. (The process began about 10 years ago.) They're pulling the whole highway out of the ground, doubling the depth of the road bed, widening the highway from four lanes to six in some places, and creating more of a buffer between the inner lanes and the median barrier -- and they're doing it piece by piece.

By the way, Georgia has been widening I-75 for almost 20 years now, and they still have 24 miles left that are still four lanes. Nobody ******* about that, though.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 PM

9,428 posts, read 10,700,516 times
Quote:

I drove acrost Pa this summer when I was driving home from the east coast, and they are right about those roads. Construction everywhere, bad roads and that turnpike is a joke. The turnpike rest centers were dirty, expensive food. I live out in Michigan and we dont pay anything to drive on our bad roads. I cant believe they charge you to drive down that road. They should have paid me for HAVING to drive on it.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:08 PM

389 posts, read 1,091,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
That's because they've been reconstructing the Turnpike generally from west to east. Most of the highway between the Ohio state line and the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel either has been, or is being, reconstructed. (The process began about 10 years ago.) They're pulling the whole highway out of the ground, doubling the depth of the road bed, widening the highway from four lanes to six in some places, and creating more of a buffer between the inner lanes and the median barrier -- and they're doing it piece by piece.

By the way, Georgia has been widening I-75 for almost 20 years now, and they still have 24 miles left that are still four lanes. Nobody ******* about that, though.
Oh, bitching is that what I was doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I drove acrost Pa this summer when I was driving home from the east coast, and they are right about those roads. Construction everywhere, bad roads and that turnpike is a joke. The turnpike rest centers were dirty, expensive food. I live out in Michigan and we dont pay anything to drive on our bad roads. I cant believe they charge you to drive down that road. They should have paid me for HAVING to drive on it.

Now now lets not ***** about road construction. Even though the roads are like an obstacle course with the amount of pot holes and you have to pray for your tires every time you go out. BTW, did you know Georgia has been widening 1-75 for 20 years and nobody there complains...I mean ******* about it?

Old 03-19-2010, 11:48 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,540,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brubaker View Post
I wish they would've broken it down further into the deadliest stretches of highway.

My wife just came back from defensive driving class last night and they said I-35 between San Antonio and Austin is one of the worst in the country.

Wonder if that's true.
Yup, lots of Pedros and Marias learn how to drive their first car on that stretch of Interstate + it's just too many freaking cars for the road' capacity. It feels like 90% of Texas lives along I-35 between Dallas and San Anton, a few extra lanes are badly needed. It's surprising but just 2 lane interstate I-10 between San Antonio and Houston is more than adequate for the amount of traffic.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:54 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,540,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I would think Tennessee would on the list of the best roads because they spend alot of money a year working on them.

Tennessee roads (and interstates) are on the steady downfall course. Your sentence might have been correct something like 5-10 years ago.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:28 AM

14,169 posts, read 22,574,016 times
Quote:
Oh, bitching is that what I was doing?
At the very least, exaggerating. The Pennsylvania Turnpike has markedly improved west of the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel.

Quote:
Now now lets not ***** about road construction. Even though the roads are like an obstacle course with the amount of pot holes and you have to pray for your tires every time you go out. BTW, did you know Georgia has been widening 1-75 for 20 years and nobody there complains...I mean ******* about it?
I've never had any damage done to my tires or suspension in Pennsylvania, so there's yet another gross exaggeration. And I'll give you the breakdown on the Pennsylvania Turnpike between the Ohio state line (MM 0) and the Allegheny Mountain Tunnel (MM 129):

MM 0 - MM 10: Reconstructed from the ground up; finished in 2009.
MM 10 - MM 28: Not yet reconstructed; no plans to do so prior to 2012.
MM 28 - MM 31: Reconstructed from the ground up; finished in 2004.
MM 31 - MM 38: Currently undergoing reconstruction from the ground up; to be finished in 2012.
MM 38 - MM 41: Reconstructed from the ground up; finished in 2005.
MM 41 - MM 48: Reconstruction from the ground up to begin in 2011.
Allegheny River Bridge(s): Brand-new bridges currently under construction; to be finished in 2010.

MM 49 - MM 57: Not yet reconstructed; no plans to do so prior to 2012.
MM 57 - MM 67: Reconstruction from the ground up to begin in 2012.
MM 67 - MM 75: Currently undergoing reconstruction from the ground up; to be finished in 2011.

MM 75 - MM 85: Reconstructed from the ground up; finished in 2001.
MM 85 - MM 94: Reconstructed from the ground up; finished in 2004.
MM 94 - MM 99: Reconstructed from the ground up; finished in 2000.

MM 99 - MM 109: Not yet reconstructed; no plans to do so prior to 2012.
MM 109 - MM 122: Reconstructed from the ground up; finished in 2004.
MM 123 - MM 129: Reconstructed from the ground up; finished in 2009.

Of the 129 miles of Turnpike in western Pennsylvania, 93 miles of it has either been reconstructed already, or are in the process of being reconstructed. That's 72.1% of the Turnpike in western Pennsylvania. Other segments between the Tuscarora Tunnel (MM 187) and Harrisburg (MM 247) either have been, or are in the process of being, reconstructed as well. MM 187 to MM 197 is completed, and MM 199 to MM 226 is being completed in segments as we speak.

Here's a cross section of the new road bed versus the original road bed:

With a road bed that's twice as thick, it should last a lot longer.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:59 AM

41,695 posts, read 74,634,436 times
Quote:
Even though the roads are like an obstacle course with the amount of pot holes and you have to pray for your tires every time you go out.
The spouse had to get new struts on his three-year-old car after hitting a series of particularly bad potholes. I've had to buy two new tires this winter after doing the same. I wonder if I can send the invoice to PennDOT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.