U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 11:28 AM

6,539 posts, read 1,339,947 times

Advertisements

I found the following article very interesting:

https://wallethub.com/edu/happiest-states/6959/

From a personal standpoint, do you agree or disagree? What do you STRONGLY like or dislike about the state in which you live?

For example, I live in Colorado, and I love the scenery, the fact that Denver is only an hour away from skiing, and the many beautiful parks, but I very much dislike how liberal it has become and the very long and mostly hot and dry summers and the mostly brown winters. I also absolutely hate the Denver area freeways, for the most part. (Also, there is no easy way to get from the southwest suburbs to the Denver Zoo and Natural History museum. A 20-mile trip usually takes at least an hour and sometimes longer on the weekends.)

Last edited by katharsis; 12-02-2016 at 12:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 01:00 PM

1,827 posts, read 1,249,305 times
Wallet Hub should know there is a much easier way to compare happiness. Just do a a good survey.

Old 12-02-2016, 02:36 PM

17,662 posts, read 4,058,482 times
I live in Texas.I like that it has low taxes.There's not much that I dislike about Texas.I like the hot summers here in Texas.

Old 12-02-2016, 03:58 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,516,044 times
North Carolina: Pros: Very friendly people........ Diverse politically, but we get along well........ Lots of natural beauty from the coast to the mountains........ Some of the most affordable public colleges in the nation........ A terrific balance of metros/small towns/ hamlets........ Great regional food........ It's, overall, an affordable place to live....... Great economy in most areas......Great weather/climates........ Incredible state and national parks........ Great location along the east coast, very convenient to a lot of areas....... Cons: Red clay dirt, hate it........ Some of the rural areas in eastern NC haven't been able to reap many of the economic benefits that the other areas of the state have......... Wish the Outer Banks was easier to get to from most of the state.

Old 12-02-2016, 06:07 PM

3,618 posts, read 1,564,526 times
I would love to see how they use these metrics to determine this poll. personal purpose ? social connectivity? emotional health. lol

How about places people are actually living and moving to than making rankings based on stuff that cant be quantified?

from the article "But income isn’t the only determinant of personal happiness. Apart from financial security, a pleasant state of being also depends on other factors, such as one’s physical health, personal purpose and social connectivity.

"According to their findings, life satisfaction, one of the two main components of happiness, increases as income rises — to a maximum of $75,000 a year. Beyond that figure, money makes little difference in a person’s overall contentment with life.

Reinforcing those findings are the annual results of a Gallup-Healthways poll measuring global well-being. According to Gallup-Healthways, “People who make more money tend to report higher positive emotions.” But income isn’t the only determinant of personal happiness. Apart from financial security, a pleasant state of being also depends on other factors, such as one’s physical health, personal purpose and social connectivity.

WalletHub’s analysts considered all of these elements to determine which states are home to the happiest Americans. In order to do so, we compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across 28 key metrics, ranging from emotional health to income levels to sports participation rates."

Old 12-02-2016, 08:03 PM

12,199 posts, read 10,409,482 times
It looks like rural areas without huge financial issues...low stress on both counts. It makes sense to me.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:21 PM

3,563 posts, read 1,516,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridanative10 View Post
I would love to see how they use these metrics to determine this poll. personal purpose ? social connectivity? emotional health. lol

How about places people are actually living and moving to than making rankings based on stuff that cant be quantified?

from the article "But income isn’t the only determinant of personal happiness. Apart from financial security, a pleasant state of being also depends on other factors, such as one’s physical health, personal purpose and social connectivity.

"According to their findings, life satisfaction, one of the two main components of happiness, increases as income rises — to a maximum of $75,000 a year. Beyond that figure, money makes little difference in a person’s overall contentment with life.

Reinforcing those findings are the annual results of a Gallup-Healthways poll measuring global well-being. According to Gallup-Healthways, “People who make more money tend to report higher positive emotions.” But income isn’t the only determinant of personal happiness. Apart from financial security, a pleasant state of being also depends on other factors, such as one’s physical health, personal purpose and social connectivity.

WalletHub’s analysts considered all of these elements to determine which states are home to the happiest Americans. In order to do so, we compared the 50 states and the District of Columbia across 28 key metrics, ranging from emotional health to income levels to sports participation rates."
As someone who ranks and has studied rankings for over 30 years, I totally agree. Much of what gauges these rankings is subjective, numbers can be easily manipulated to a desired outcome, and in some cases, have no bases whatsoever outside of ones own opinion. These lists are interesting to read (I enjoy reading them myself), but keeping these cautions in mind is necessary.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:44 AM

469 posts, read 669,462 times
Utah being high in emotional well-being is crazy. Just do a search and you'll find Utah has the highest rate of mental illness in US.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:36 AM

3,114 posts, read 2,523,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
Utah being high in emotional well-being is crazy. Just do a search and you'll find Utah has the highest rate of mental illness in US.
Isn't that because they have a lot of treatment facilities that cater to the out of state mentally ill?

Old 12-04-2016, 02:41 PM

3,254 posts, read 1,631,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbono View Post
I lived in Utah for a couple of years and I sort of agree with the studies fundings and also your point.

For example, 46% of females report poor mental health. Which is the 2nd highest rate in America.

Percent of Adults Reporting Poor Mental Health Status, by Gender | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation

The state also has very high rates of overdose deaths and suicide.

4th highest per-capita on overdose deaths for example

2014 saw highest number of Utah deaths from prescription drugs | The Salt Lake Tribune

Utah in my opinion is a state of extremes in this regard. There is a huge segment of the population that is very happy in the state and there is also a large segment of the population that is very unhappy.

There is a huge disparity in drug use and suicide rates in Utah also. The state breaks down to the statistics by micro-area and I remember looking at the numbers and parts of Utah have extremely low rates of suicide and illicit drug use while other areas it is through the roof.

Utah is the most egalitarian state in America but there is also a culture in the state where that frowns down on imperfections and any negativity. You don't hear people saying negative things in public in Utah because if it's negative they dont want to hear it. I think that is good as parts of the country it sems like are to negative, but people also avoid in Utah.

There is also a huge amount of upward mobility and materialism in Utah and I am sure when people are raised in tight-knit areas and when their long-time friends are doing so-well and they are struggling to pay the bills with a huge family, it must be depressing.

I am not LDS but in a state without economic segregation, there are wealthy and lower-middle class going to the same ward. With the state being relatively safe and orderly, the lower-middle and wealthy tend to live in very close proximity which creates class envy even in a state with the lowest economic disparity.

Utah is a very liveable, happy, emotionally fulfilling state for many. I have seen it has the highest level of economic upward mobility and also there also alot of people who have very tight friendship networks also.

Utahns tend to be very extroverted and social also. There are also alot of people who seem very outwardly happy in the state that might depress some people who feel like they are the only ones that are unhappy.

I have been in many states that you feel the depression in the air and I certainly don't feel that way in Utah with the extroverted, smiling people. However, there are also alot of very overwhelmed people who feel trapped in that state with the large families and fact that all their other friends and families seem really happy and live perfect lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or