Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2016, 04:11 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,093,167 times

Advertisements

1. McHenry, IL

2. Pros & Cons...
Pros: Lower COL compared to a lot of Chicagoland, a lot of natural beauty, and the people seem nicer out here.
Cons: Far from the city, pretty much no public transportation, and traffic is worse than expected

3. 6.5/10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2016, 06:51 PM

12,839 posts, read 9,567,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Great thread.

1. Name city or town you live in. Washington DC, Arlington technically, but it's 5 miles away.

2. Name things you love/not like about it. Lots to love. There's always something to do. Above average food. Very good public transportation. Super diverse. It's the capital of the world in a lot of ways. Great access to other NE cities. 4 seasons. Beautiful foliage and scenery. Wanted to add, love that there are probably 100 walkable neighborhoods. Probably more than that..

Don't like the COL. It's so expensive. I mean really. Traffic is really bad. People can be really rude and the entry level workers (grocery store clerks , cell phone store employees) are incredibly lazy and grouchy. Pretentious, lots of transplants. Lot's of homeless and can be dirty. DC residents can be thuggish.
3. Rank the town/city you live in : 8/10. Love it, but I know this isn't my final destination.

edited again.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:38 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,101,871 times
1. Columbus, Ohio

2. Things I love:
+Low unemployment/relatively low cost of living
+One of the fastest growing cities in the country (this translates to a lot more urban development and a lot more amenities popping up in a short amount of time)
+State capital of a swing state so you're a political nerd like me it's great for hearing candidates speak and civic engagement
+Large LGBT population
+Cool urban neighborhoods (Short North, German Village, Arena District etc. and nice suburbs Upper Arlington, Dublin, Grandview Heights etc.)
+OSU sports

3.Things I dislike:
-Doesn't affect my quality of live but our public transit is lacking
- Our topography is pretty bland

4. Rating, for me 8.5-9/10.

Old 12-06-2016, 02:44 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Dallas, TX

Things I love: fun city, especially if you actually live in the city. Great night life, awesome food of all varieties, and tons of attractive single women. All major sports teams and, except for the cowboys, incredibly cheap tickets.

Also I've been here 6 and a half years so I've made friends

Things I hate: the weather. Summer is absolutly miserable, and it isn't uncommon for dramatic swings in temperature. 80 degrees to 40 degrees in 24 hours for example.

The dramatic rate that cost of living has gone up. Really it isn't a whole lot cheaper than Chicago anymore.

The sprawling suburbs. Honestly I hate them. I'm dreading having to buy a home at some point because for what I will be able to afford it will either be in the "ghetto" with bad schools or in a soulless suburb with an hour commute.

7/10 Dallas is great for now, but I wouldn't hesitate to move for a job in a city I liked better with slightly higher cost of living or a smaller city with lower COL, but similar amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.