U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-03-2016, 01:14 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,587,525 times
Reputation: 6091

Advertisements

I haven't really seen anywhere else in the US yet with midrise tenement apartments like you see in much of NYC.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7186...7i13312!8i6656

I think San Francisco might have some comparable neighborhoods but other than that I can't think of anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-03-2016, 02:38 AM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,596,597 times
Reputation: 1073
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I haven't really seen anywhere else in the US yet with midrise tenement apartments like you see in much of NYC.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.7186...7i13312!8i6656

I think San Francisco might have some comparable neighborhoods but other than that I can't think of anything.
In addition to parts of San Francisco, parts of Philly (old city) and Boston (the north end) have tenement apartments.

Here are some 5 story tenement style apartments in old city, Philly

https://goo.gl/maps/k82bVRTpPe42
https://goo.gl/maps/3A5YeKGZ6V92
https://goo.gl/maps/X6nMbLnJq242
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2016, 09:00 AM
 
Location: East of the Sun, West of the Moon
15,512 posts, read 17,740,343 times
Reputation: 30801
Cincinnati.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2016, 09:15 AM
 
Location: Naples Island
1,016 posts, read 641,966 times
Reputation: 2040
Ick! Such a deplorable look.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2016, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Denver
14,151 posts, read 19,767,031 times
Reputation: 8803
Those places in the streetviews look nice to me, unless the interior was just that bad. I was gonna post the French Quarter until I looked up tenement and saw that it's substandard multifamily housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2016, 10:59 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,587,525 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Ick! Such a deplorable look.
I love it, and much prefer it over sprawl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Those places in the streetviews look nice to me, unless the interior was just that bad. I was gonna post the French Quarter until I looked up tenement and saw that it's substandard multifamily housing.
I don't mean tenement in the truest sense, just the architectural style. I'm assuming most of the interiors these days are nice or at least acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2016, 11:00 AM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,587,525 times
Reputation: 6091
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephi215 View Post
In addition to parts of San Francisco, parts of Philly (old city) and Boston (the north end) have tenement apartments.

Here are some 5 story tenement style apartments in old city, Philly

https://goo.gl/maps/k82bVRTpPe42
https://goo.gl/maps/3A5YeKGZ6V92
https://goo.gl/maps/X6nMbLnJq242
Cool! I've been to Philly 4 times and have never seen that. It seems like endless rowhouses with the occasional high rise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2016, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Downtown & Brooklyn!
2,122 posts, read 1,309,145 times
Reputation: 1826
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
Ick! Such a deplorable look.
I like them. I've always wanted to live in a building with fire escapes like that. I never had a fire escape in my life. They're fun to hang out on in the summer and have a few beers. Some have really great views too. They're like mini balconies for people that can't afford apartments with balconies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2016, 11:16 AM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,144 posts, read 1,521,827 times
Reputation: 1848
It's just NYC I believe, it's a distinct architectural style associated with New York. You probably can find a few similar to those in California (LA and San Fran), but not to the degree of New York.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2016, 11:18 AM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,144 posts, read 1,521,827 times
Reputation: 1848
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I like them. I've always wanted to live in a building with fire escapes like that. I never had a fire escape in my life. They're fun to hang out on in the summer and have a few beers. Some have really great views too. They're like mini balconies for people that can't afford apartments with balconies.
lmao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top