U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 09:07 PM

625 posts, read 1,352,719 times

Advertisements

A big NO to Ithaca. Although I do love the beauty of the Finger Lakes region, and thought there were many very pretty homes and neighborhoods in Ithaca when I visited there, I was appalled by the crowds of young panhandlers in the center of town who almost accosted us wherever we went. Really soured my experience there. It's been a while, probably 14 years or so - has that changed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 09:12 PM

259 posts, read 309,002 times
Shocked to see Ann Arbor included with Cleveland & Pittsburgh as a choice. AA, my hometown, is totally different from the other 2 in size and economy. Ann Arbor is more comparable to places like Bloomington, IN...maybe even Madison, WI at most.

Old 12-04-2016, 09:56 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,882,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wouldn't Pittsburgh be similar in that regard?
Did some research, and it turns out the two places do have similar average rent. The lower range of that rent cost is a bit lower in Cleveland, though.

But you are right, the two places are similar in cost.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:20 PM

625 posts, read 1,352,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
Shocked to see Ann Arbor included with Cleveland & Pittsburgh as a choice. AA, my hometown, is totally different from the other 2 in size and economy. Ann Arbor is more comparable to places like Bloomington, IN...maybe even Madison, WI at most.
Shocked? Really? I wanted to compare them not because of similarities in population or economy, but simply because on a map they are not far from each other and these are all places I've heard good things about, for various reasons. I am looking at different options within certain areas. As I said upthread, I am open to a city or town and I listed things I am interested in, which can be used to assess many kinds of communities. Obviously, smaller town and cities can be compared to neighborhoods or villages within larger cities.

In this case, size doesn't matter.

Would you mind posting more details about why A2 is so different from Cleveland and Pittsburgh?

Old 12-05-2016, 05:06 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
A big NO to Ithaca. Although I do love the beauty of the Finger Lakes region, and thought there were many very pretty homes and neighborhoods in Ithaca when I visited there, I was appalled by the crowds of young panhandlers in the center of town who almost accosted us wherever we went. Really soured my experience there. It's been a while, probably 14 years or so - has that changed?
Yeah, I would say so and its Downtown has changed a lot since then due to construction.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-05-2016 at 05:17 AM..

Old 12-05-2016, 05:11 AM

56,609 posts, read 80,910,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8089 View Post
I believe that AA is in between those 2 in terms of population.

Old 12-05-2016, 01:44 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yeah I moved from the Bay Area eight years ago..got burnt out on the long commutes and being harrassed every ten feet by someone wanting something from me. Midwestern people at least respect your personal space for the most part. Cleveland has a lot of residential downtown; the west side has a couple gentrified neighborhoods (Ohio City & Tremont) with coffeeshops and brewpubs, and the east side (past the ghetto areas) has the museum district, Little Italy and area with the main Cleveland Clinic campus. The eastern suburbs are also really nice, diverse, with a lot of dining and nightlife options. I'm not familiar but from what I've read they really have a thriving theater scene relative to the city's size also.
Playhouse Square in Cleveland is considered to be the best theater outside of New York and it has a world-class symphony orchestra.

Lakewood, which is right outside Cleveland to the west, also has a good strong theater community as well as great restaurants and is only about 15-20 minutes away from downtown Cleveland which has all the nightlife and dining anyone could want.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:26 PM

1,721 posts, read 1,401,953 times
Despite my username I have to admit Ann Arbor is an absolutely gorgeous town. I think it's much more comparable to Madison, WI than Cleveland or Pitt. From what I experienced overall Ann Arbor probably has a more white collar feel to it than Cleveland or Pitt (although you can definitely find that vibe in specific suburbs/districts of the other two cities). Ann Arbor is a pristine village/college town, while the other two are once giant industrial centers reinventing themselves in the modern era .

Old 12-05-2016, 07:47 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,430,172 times
If you are into the outdoors, Cleveland also has a pretty cool National Park. It isn't the Tetons or Yosemite, but it is nice urban escape.

Old 12-06-2016, 09:57 AM

3,784 posts, read 3,003,697 times
Detroit is a factor that should be considered for Detroit to be sure. As others have mentioned, it is smaller, more white collar, more impact, overall likely less gritty than the other two.

Cleveland is likely still the cheapest of the three. It perhaps has the best traditional cultural options, has a fantastic park system and a Great Lake (distinct advantage if into boating/kayaking). It also has an interesting mix of housing options in city and suburbs.

Pittsburgh likely has the most dynamic urban atmosphere (or at very least, streetscape/neighborhood density, it could be argued Cleveland has a better DT though), and it has great proximity to the mountains (1 hr, though, Cleveland is only 2.5 or so). Pittsburgh also has great culture and other options as well.

Ultimately, none of the three are bad options, but each are different, so perhaps take a week and visit the three before making your decision?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or