U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2016, 01:47 PM
_OT
 
Location: Miami
2,147 posts, read 1,530,781 times
Reputation: 1850

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
Yes you can, The Bronx has enough people in it to be a major city. As long as you adjust for population differences, I see nothing wrong with such a comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Come on now, Houston would have to be at 4.3 million population in city limits to match that Bronx murder rate, its nowhere near that.

For reference, the Bronx is about 100k smaller than Philadelphia. You severely underestimate the size of individual NYC boroughs.
I'm not talking about population.

I'm talking about the fact that we're comparing crime in the Bronx, to crime in Houston; and the other fact that it's 42 sq miles compared to 600+ sq miles. (There also needs to be more press about the Hispanic teen girls that go missing in the Bronx)

Last edited by _OT; 12-07-2016 at 02:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2016, 02:43 PM
 
Location: Downtown & Brooklyn!
2,123 posts, read 1,317,600 times
Reputation: 1831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Since I've never been to Oklahoma, what does that mean?
I've never been to Oklahoma either, but knowing New Jersey I think I have a general idea of what they mean. I think there's probably a ton of other states that have their own "New Jersey" lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2016, 07:15 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Northwest Houston
5,114 posts, read 4,966,469 times
Reputation: 4188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
Manhattan = DFW

Brooklyn = Austin

Queens = San Antonio

Bronx = Houston


What do you think about the comparisons?
Houston has the largest economy in Texas along with its biggest port and home to its most important industry. I assume you are saying that you perceive DFW as the most important metro in Texas therefor your comparison with Manhatten , well you are wrong. I would compare DFW with the excluded Staten Island as being the most suburban. Your other comparisons are adequate enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
DFW has the money/financial sector.

Houston has the crime comparison to the Bronx.
Now you are just flaming towards Houston besides being the Armored Car robbery capital of America the vast majority of Houston is quit safe and the Armored Car robberies are just a symptom of Houston's affluence and liquidity....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2016, 07:41 PM
 
Location: The Pacific Northwest
6,015 posts, read 6,390,518 times
Reputation: 8288
If the four boroughs of New York were former Eastern Bloc countries, which one would be Czechoslovakia? :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2016, 06:58 PM
 
11,456 posts, read 6,626,375 times
Reputation: 6095
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I'm not talking about population.

I'm talking about the fact that we're comparing crime in the Bronx, to crime in Houston; and the other fact that it's 42 sq miles compared to 600+ sq miles. (There also needs to be more press about the Hispanic teen girls that go missing in the Bronx)
How does Houston having more land size make it not comparable?

And I've heard about the teen girls. However most, if not all, of them have returned home. The councilman who made the claim that 14 girls were missing retracted his statement when it was confirmed that 11 of the 14 girls were not actually missing.

Last edited by l1995; 12-08-2016 at 07:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2016, 08:57 PM
 
1,987 posts, read 1,245,778 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I was going to say, the comparison ends with Austin and Brooklyn having hipsters.


DFW is not comparable to Manhattan as a financial center

Houston's crime rate is probably way higher than that of The Bronx. Not to mention, The Bronx is extremely dense and urban while Houston certainly isn't.
It's true that none of the Texas cities can remotely hold a candle to the urbanity, culture, and history of NYC. But there can be rather vague similarities, ignoring the mass scale urbanity you find in NYC. This thread is for fun, so I wouldn't take it seriously. No one here is suggesting any of the Texas cities can compete or even offer a NYC experience. With that said:

Austin as a city can only compare with 1 Borough (Brooklyn). Fort Worth, San Antonio, and El Paso can't compare at all to any Borough in NYC. They're so unique and distinct. Dallas and Houston can actually compare to all of the Boroughs. You'll find Brooklyn-like neighborhoods in Dallas as well (Deep Ellum, Oak Cliff) and Lower/Midtown Manhattan (Downtown/Uptown).

Dallas is in fact the financial capital of the South-Central/Southwest Region. Downtown feels like your typical financial district and it also has a branch of the Federal Reserve. Downtown Houston has a similar financial district feel, although it's dominated more by energy companies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2016, 09:01 PM
 
1,987 posts, read 1,245,778 times
Reputation: 2222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Houston has the largest economy in Texas along with its biggest port and home to its most important industry. I assume you are saying that you perceive DFW as the most important metro in Texas therefor your comparison with Manhatten , well you are wrong. I would compare DFW with the excluded Staten Island as being the most suburban. Your other comparisons are adequate enough.
Wow the Houston homerism is strong with this one. All of the Texas cities are suburban to the extreme, including Houston. Houston is one of the LEAST pedestrian friendly cities in the country... much much worse than Dallas. I did lump Dallas and Houston together as having aspects of all the Boroughs in NYC, which is reasonable because they are bigger and more diverse than Fort Worth, SA, Austin, and El Paso.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2016, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Beautiful Northwest Houston
5,114 posts, read 4,966,469 times
Reputation: 4188
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
It's true that none of the Texas cities can remotely hold a candle to the urbanity, culture, and history of NYC. But there can be rather vague similarities, ignoring the mass scale urbanity you find in NYC. This thread is for fun, so I wouldn't take it seriously. No one here is suggesting any of the Texas cities can compete or even offer a NYC experience. With that said:

Austin as a city can only compare with 1 Borough (Brooklyn). Fort Worth, San Antonio, and El Paso can't compare at all to any Borough in NYC. They're so unique and distinct. Dallas and Houston can actually compare to all of the Boroughs. You'll find Brooklyn-like neighborhoods in Dallas as well (Deep Ellum, Oak Cliff) and Lower/Midtown Manhattan (Downtown/Uptown).


Dallas is in fact the financial capital of the South-Central/Southwest Region. Downtown feels like your typical financial district and it also has a branch of the Federal Reserve. Downtown Houston has a similar financial district feel, although it's dominated more by energy companies.
I will give Dallas credit for being a financial hub, but financial capital it is not. Saying Dallas is a financial capital because it has a Federal reserve HQ is like saying Houston is the capital of the Space program which of course it is not, NASA like the Federal reserve, is based in Washington DC. Remember Cleveland, St Louis and Kansas City also have federal reserve districts named after them while Los Angeles, Seattle and several other major cities that are there own financial hubs do not. Comparing DFW to Staten Island may have been unfair but it was calculated to get a rise out of the OP not some Dallas homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Wow the Houston homerism is strong with this one. All of the Texas cities are suburban to the extreme, including Houston. Houston is one of the LEAST pedestrian friendly cities in the country... much much worse than Dallas. I did lump Dallas and Houston together as having aspects of all the Boroughs in NYC, which is reasonable because they are bigger and more diverse than Fort Worth, SA, Austin, and El Paso.
No one was actually comparing NYC to any Texas city it is more of a comparison with the relationship that the Boroughs have with each other, in comparison to the relationship that the main Texas cities have with each other, which of course is patently ridicules, but the OP felt this was a good stealthy way to take a dig at Houston for whatever reason. It's Flame bait pure and simple but I like taking on baiters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2016, 11:50 PM
 
412 posts, read 308,597 times
Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_One_Guy View Post
I could be wrong, but I feel like NYC doesn't get much credit/recognition at all for how safe it is. I feel like a lot of people probably think it's a lot more dangerous than it really is. Maybe it comes from how it was back in the 70s and 80s
Agreed. NYC is probably one of the safest major Western cities in the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-08-2016, 11:58 PM
 
6,817 posts, read 6,966,209 times
Reputation: 5486
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
I'm not talking about population.

I'm talking about the fact that we're comparing crime in the Bronx, to crime in Houston; and the other fact that it's 42 sq miles compared to 600+ sq miles. (There also needs to be more press about the Hispanic teen girls that go missing in the Bronx)
Isn't the Bronx the most dangerous part of NYC? The fact that the most dangerous part of NYC still doesn't even have close to the murder rate of Houston speaks volumes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top